Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List (2007-2011)  (Read 114756 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #75: December 23, 2007, 10:28:50 PM »
Just saw Juno.  It's outstanding.  I wouldn't be surprised if the star wins an Oscar, and perhaps the movie also. Maybe teenagers like this exist only in movies, but it was nice to see them anyway.

My friend's 13yr old wants to see it.  Good for that age?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #76: December 24, 2007, 12:43:04 AM »
Anyone see I Am Legend yet? I'm thinking of seeing that tomorrow if I get the chance. Looks like it must be at least pretty good.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #77: December 24, 2007, 12:44:30 AM »
Anyone see I Am Legend yet?

I've read the book, but haven't found the time to see it.  I will though; I'm not one to read in my spare time very often, and it's rare for me to find a truly remarkable novel...I Am Legend was the best book I've read in years.

arkymark

« Reply #78: December 24, 2007, 10:36:55 AM »
My friend's 13yr old wants to see it.  Good for that age?

Not for my 13 year old, if I still had one, but I think I may have been more protective/worried than lots of parents.  There is one sex scene that is cut to several times.  Nothing much is shown but it is clear what is happening.  The language is pretty salty.  There is a lot of reproductive humor, of course, pretty frankly discussed.  And, while it's very funny, it's also very adult in the sense that it's about this kid and her family and friends responding to her pregnancy.

On the other hand, if the 13 year old is more mature than mine were (and the parent is less repressed), it might be great.  I'd ltake my 15 year old, so it's a borderline call.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #79: December 24, 2007, 10:54:21 AM »
Thanks Arky!  I emailed my friend your response.  After seeing National Treasure 2 last night, she pointed to the poster for Juno and kept saying, MOM, I want to see Juno.  That's why I asked.

Do you remember the car scene from Titanic?  I think that was pretty racy too.  Not sure how that scene compares with some scenes from this movie. 

There are some cool new trailers coming out for next summer:

Speed Racer - live action
Prince Caspian (A Narnia flick)
Horton Hears a Who - Animated, but NOT a cartoon

I saw posters for the next Raiders of the Lost Ark movie.

I saw a trailer at my cousin's house once that there will be a "GET SMART" movie with Steve Carell of Office fame, as Maxwell Smart.

arkymark

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #81: December 26, 2007, 06:44:03 PM »
Just saw Spider-Man 2+3 and Knocked Up.  Probably late seeing 'em but they are very good movies.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #82: December 26, 2007, 06:47:25 PM »
Just saw Spider-Man 2+3 and Knocked Up.  Probably late seeing 'em but they are very good movies.

Yeah, especially Knocked Up. I was really surprised by that movie.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #83: December 26, 2007, 08:36:00 PM »
Yeah, especially Knocked Up. I was really surprised by that movie.
Katherine Heigl is absolutely stunning that movie. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #84: December 26, 2007, 11:46:42 PM »
I definitely recommend Winter Passing. Will Ferrell is not his normal self in this one and the flow is excellent. Very different feel to this film and highly recommended. Zooey Deschanel (the main character) did awesome in her role as well.

natsfan1a

« Reply #85: December 27, 2007, 08:00:56 AM »
I've only seen Deschanel in Elf that I can recall but I liked her (and Ferrell) in that one. Will check out Winter Passing, too.

arkymark

« Reply #86: December 27, 2007, 10:59:24 AM »
She was excellent in Failure to Launch.

Saw The Savages last night.  Best put the father in a nursing home movie of all time.  Hoffman and Linney outstanding (as always).  Though I fear it gave my daughter ideas.

« Reply #87: December 27, 2007, 11:02:05 AM »
Saw Sweeney Todd.  Visually the film is stunning.  Musically, it was so-so but Depp and Carter hold their own.  When everyone in the film is acting rather than singing, they do a terrific job.  A lot more gore than you expect.  I give it something like three and a half stars.

natsfan1a

« Reply #88: December 27, 2007, 11:06:19 AM »
Would that be out of four stars?

I give it something like three and a half stars.

« Reply #89: December 27, 2007, 11:07:16 AM »
Would that be out of four stars?

Probably more out of five.

natsfan1a

« Reply #90: December 27, 2007, 11:19:19 AM »
Okay, thanks. I remember seeing a version on PBS years ago. Angela Lansbury was the female lead but I can't remember who played Todd. He sang well.

Probably more out of five.

Offline LeonidasNats311

« Reply #91: December 27, 2007, 12:02:26 PM »
That's super to know!  I just did "on demand" w/ FIOS tonight and ordered Christmas Story for Andrew to watch.  It was his first time seeing it and he LOVED it!  It was so heartwarming to hear him genuinely laughing at such a fun movie!

I LOVE that movie!!! haha watch it every christmas eve..(fall asleep to it and wake up to it on TBS)

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #92: December 27, 2007, 01:08:53 PM »
Okay, thanks. I remember seeing a version on PBS years ago. Angela Lansbury was the female lead but I can't remember who played Todd. He sang well.

Len Cariou played Todd. 

The new movie is based on the broadway play.  Although I never saw the play all the way thru, I doubt its as bloody gory as this one is.  I heard one reviewer say it did have a lot of gore in it.

http://broadwaymusicalhome.com/shows/sweeneytodd.htm

natsfan1a

« Reply #93: December 27, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »
Thanks, I couldn't remember who it was.

I also read that the movie version was gory.

Len Cariou played Todd. 

The new movie is based on the broadway play.  Although I never saw the play all the way thru, I doubt its as bloody gory as this one is.  I heard one reviewer say it did have a lot of gore in it.

http://broadwaymusicalhome.com/shows/sweeneytodd.htm

« Reply #94: December 27, 2007, 05:25:38 PM »
It is gory but it is almost comical.  The first killing is a bit of a shocker but as customer after customer come into his shop it gets sort of almost silly.  The blood color is a bit off and the amounts shooting out also add to the comical effect.

natsfan1a

« Reply #95: December 27, 2007, 05:57:29 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. Might need to put that one on the "to see" list, too.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #96: December 27, 2007, 06:02:40 PM »
I may wait until its on DVD.   :roll:

natsfan1a

« Reply #97: December 27, 2007, 06:11:48 PM »
I probably will, too. We don't go out to the movies as much as we used to do.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #98: December 27, 2007, 08:07:17 PM »
I usually wait until the movie comes out at the University Mall theater (by GMU). It's so much cheaper and the quality isn't too bad either. However, I can't resist watching movies like 300 right when they come out.

natsfan1a

« Reply #99: December 28, 2007, 08:07:53 AM »
Good point about the University Mall theater.