Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40118 times)

Offline PatsNats28

Re: Google Thread
« Reply #50: January 18, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »
Saw that Google Chrome came out for Mac, got it yesterday. It doesn't seem particularly special to me, someone explain why it's better than Firefox please :D

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #51: January 18, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »
It launches faster, some people like the aesthetics more.  Some people claim it's faster at web surfing too, but a lot of people dispute this, myself included.  Javascript benchmarks don't count.

Try it out, if you like it, use it, if you don't, don't.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #52: January 18, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »
fail to see how it's better than firefox.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #53: January 18, 2010, 04:08:32 PM »
It launches faster, some people like the aesthetics more.  Some people claim it's faster at web surfing too, but a lot of people dispute this, myself included.  Javascript benchmarks don't count.

Try it out, if you like it, use it, if you don't, don't.

Doesn't seem that different. One thing is that Firefox would often quit on me when I had multiple tabs open which were doing a lot (like checking games on nfl.com). We'll see how that goes with Chrome.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #54: January 18, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »
Doesn't seem that different. One thing is that Firefox would often quit on me when I had multiple tabs open which were doing a lot (like checking games on nfl.com). We'll see how that goes with Chrome.

Chrome gets geek points from me on a technical level.  The sandboxing and process-per-tab are both great features, but rarely all that useful in the real world, in my experience.  Then again I only use a very few add-ons with Firefox and have fast, clean computers.  For "average" users I can see where Firefox might easily be overwhelmed and suffer stability-wise.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #55: January 18, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »
only got 6 extensions so far. gonna add more later.

Adblock
Chromed Bird (Twitter Extension)
Google Docs PDF/Powerpoint Viewer
goo.gl URL shortener
Import to Google Docs
OneNumber (All-in-One Checker for GMail, GVoice, Reader, and GWave)

installing the extensions in Chrome is so quick and painless. no browser restarting and crap like that. click install and it just....works. immediately.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #56: January 18, 2010, 08:49:21 PM »
Chrome doesn't let me triple-swipe to get to the top or bottom of a page. Have to do function-right (or left). Also, is there a shortcut to post without clicking the button?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #57: January 18, 2010, 11:02:10 PM »
so what are the good extensions for chrome?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #58: January 18, 2010, 11:27:38 PM »
so what are the good extensions for chrome?

https://chrome.google.com/extensions

check em out for yourself.  but note, that the "public/stable" version of Chrome does not support extensions yet, you'll need to download the "Beta" version. if you aren't running the Beta Version, the page i linked here will tell you, and show you how to get it.

adblock, naturally.

and I really like the OneNumber extension. instead of having 4 different extensions for GMail, Voice, Reader, and Wave, I only have one that does everything.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #59: January 25, 2010, 01:47:29 PM »
http://goo.gl/tluR   

Looks like Extensions just went live on Chrome. if you've got the Beta channel on just for the extensions, you can switch back to the Stable Channel now.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #60: January 25, 2010, 01:52:47 PM »
As far as I can tell, this new version is the exact same dev build that's been available for months, but with the "dev" tag removed.

All the same, good news for Chrome fans :thumbs:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #61: January 25, 2010, 01:55:50 PM »
As far as I can tell, this new version is the exact same dev build that's been available for months, but with the "dev" tag removed.

right.

but most casual users don't opt into the dev or beta channels.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #62: January 25, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »
right.

but most casual users don't opt into the dev or beta channels.

Of course, I was just voicing my confusion at the "new" version.  2 months is some pretty serious QA :shock:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #63: January 25, 2010, 10:39:43 PM »
I finally figured out how to use the extensions! I couldn't find them before. I'm getting used to Chrome.

Nathan - it seems that sometimes it goes to the far right, sometimes immediate right. I prefer far right, can I fix that?

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #64: January 25, 2010, 10:41:38 PM »
I finally figured out how to use the extensions! I couldn't find them before. I'm getting used to Chrome.

Nathan - it seems that sometimes it goes to the far right, sometimes immediate right. I prefer far right, can I fix that?
Firefox or Chrome?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #65: January 25, 2010, 10:46:50 PM »
chrome.

also, is there a way i can tell my reader feed that i want to ignore something without actually going to google reader.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #66: January 25, 2010, 10:47:59 PM »
chrome.
I don't know if you can change it on Chrome

also, is there a way i can tell my reader feed that i want to ignore something without actually going to google reader.
I'm not sure what you mean by "ignore".  Also, what do you mean by "reader feed", NetNewsWire?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #67: January 26, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »
Google Toolbar Tracks Your Browsing Even After It's Been Disabled

If Google is the Borg, Google Toolbar is the Terminator: just when you think you've killed it, it keeps comes back to murderize the Sarah Connor that is your privacy. What a creepy move.

Ben Edelman ran a few tests with the Google Toolbar, and found that, yes, Google keeps tracking your browsing even after you politely ask it not to. They also make it easy to enable certain tracking features and much more difficult to disable the same.

Edelman also found that Google's disclosures have gotten worse over time, to the point of being downright duplicitous:

* Now, initial Enhanced Features privacy disclosures appear not in their own screen, but in a bubble pitching another feature (Sidewiki). Previously, format (all-caps, top-of-page), color (red) and language ("... not the usual yada yada") alerted users to the seriousness of the decision at hand.
    * Now, Google presents Enhanced Features as a default with an oversized button, bold type, and acceptance via a single keystroke. Previously, neither option was a default, and both options were presented with equal prominence.
    * Now, privacy statements are imprecise and internally-inconsistent, muddling the concepts of site and URL. Previous disclosures were clear in explaining that acceptance entails "sending us [Google] the URL" of each page a user visits.
    * The current feature name, "Enhanced Features," is less forthright than the prior "Advanced Features" label. The name "Advanced Features" appropriately indicated that the feature is not appropriate for all users (but is intended for, e.g., "advanced" users). In contrast, the current "Enhanced Features" name suggests that the feature is an "enhancement" suitable for everyone.

So hey, Google, way to go on China and everything, but could we get a little more privacy protection at home?
GizModo

Offline The Chief

« Reply #68: January 26, 2010, 09:54:59 AM »
Funny, I was just reading an article about the same thing.

Also, dude needs to brush up on his sci-fi :lol:

Just for fun:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #69: January 26, 2010, 05:13:07 PM »
yeah all those toolbars, but Google Toolbar is the evil one. :lmao:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #70: January 26, 2010, 09:03:24 PM »
yeah all those toolbars, but Google Toolbar is the evil one. :lmao:

Oh come on, don't be a fanboy.  Just because all those other toolbars are crap doesn't make what Google's toolbar is doing any less worthy of scorn.

Personally I think all toolbars are crap wastes of space, now all of you get off my lawn  :old:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #71: January 26, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »
Oh come on, don't be a fanboy.  Just because all those other toolbars are crap doesn't make what Google's toolbar is doing any less worthy of scorn.

Personally I think all toolbars are crap wastes of space, now all of you get off my lawn  :old:

I don't have a toolbar on my browser.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #72: January 26, 2010, 09:28:08 PM »
I don't have a toolbar on my browser.

I meant a Google fanboy, and I'm pretty sure you knew that :P

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #73: January 26, 2010, 09:36:44 PM »
I meant a Google fanboy, and I'm pretty sure you knew that :P

well yeah. 

but at least I own up to it. ;)

and I still don't have a toolbar.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #74: January 26, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »
well yeah. 

but at least I own up to it. ;)

Shrug.  I guess you could call me a Windows fanboy, but honestly outside of this forum I'm really not that vocal about it.  I don't care what people use, I just get tired of all the blind (and usually uninformed) MS/Windows hate that seems to be "trendy."

and I still don't have a toolbar.

And that still doesn't change the fact that you stuck up for theirs :|