Author Topic: Arizona Fall League - 2010 (updated "It's Harper Time")  (Read 17890 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Solis: 4 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR.

Harper: 1-2, K, R, BB

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Solis hasn't shown much in the AFL yet.

Offline Sharp

Harper had 2 BB.  And TBH Solis is showing what I expected him to show... this is not surprising to me, just kind of disappointing.

Offline imref

Harper had 2 BB.  And TBH Solis is showing what I expected him to show... this is not surprising to me, just kind of disappointing.

i missed the 2nd walk - maybe he can bat lead-off?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022

Offline imref

Harper played last night instead of tonight, 1-4, BB, 2Ks.  Futures game is tonight,

Offline Potomac Cannons

Burgess finally got around to a good day with a 2B and HR.

Offline imref

Harper has 2 triples already, and a run scored. (2nd went to opposite field)

He might make the opening day roster.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Harper has 2 triples already, and a run scored.

He might make the opening day roster.

I heard he had a bit of speed, but that's ridiculous.

Offline bglide

• banned
Harper, athletically, is the one guy in our system that is a true five tool player.  That term gets thrown around too much.  I remember Bowden using it about Burgess. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
How many tools does Burgess have left?

Offline blue911

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

Offline imref

Derek Norris - 3 for 4, 2B, HR, 3 RBI's;

Bryce Harper 2 for 4, 2 3Bs, 1R, 2 RBI's. 

That was as of the end of the 7th.

Offline imref

Harper now batting .370

Offline Sharp

I heard he had a bit of speed, but that's ridiculous.
Apparently the Arizona fields are weirdly shaped, which might be contributing to the excess of triples.  Even Derek Norris (who is built like a catcher) has gotten his share of triples in the AFL.  From what I've heard Harper, especially since he's still growing people don't think his speed is ultimately going to be one of his tools.  He does everything else though.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I'm not sure where I read this... but wasn't one of the concerns about Harper was that he was going to grow into the size of someone like Dunn?

Offline Sharp

I'm not sure where I read this... but wasn't one of the concerns about Harper was that he was going to grow into the size of someone like Dunn?
That's a general concern a lot of people have, IIRC.  But I think their point was that if his floor is Adam Dunn, his floor is a really good player.

Offline Potomac Cannons

No love for Solis today?  Not a great start by any means but he went the AFL maximum 5 IP, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 ER (solo HR).  He may not end up being anything more than our replacement for some of the 5th SP fodder we've had, but for 1m that's not bad at all.

Offline Potomac Cannons

Apparently the Arizona fields are weirdly shaped, which might be contributing to the excess of triples.  Even Derek Norris (who is built like a catcher) has gotten his share of triples in the AFL. 

Norris has 1 triple in the AFL.  It's his first since being in the GCL in 07.  There may be something to that weird field thing.

Offline Sharp

It just seemed to me like every AFL game I watched people were getting triples right and left.  It might also be because a lot of top prospects are in the AFL because of their bats, not their gloves, but that wouldn't explain Norris getting his first triple since '07 so I imagine the field has a lot to do with it as well.

Offline Potomac Cannons

It just seemed to me like every AFL game I watched people were getting triples right and left.  It might also be because a lot of top prospects are in the AFL because of their bats, not their gloves, but that wouldn't explain Norris getting his first triple since '07 so I imagine the field has a lot to do with it as well.

Norris is a solid baserunner.  SB numbers and percentage are pretty good for a catcher with a "squatty" build.

Offline hammondsnats

not to rain on the parade ...

while it's great the youngsters are playing well against other youngsters, we still need help on the major league side of things. 

i'm not going to get excited until we get better in that aspect and until these guys are up here actually delivering.

Offline Sharp

not to rain on the parade ...

while it's great the youngsters are playing well against other youngsters, we still need help on the major league side of things. 

i'm not going to get excited until we get better in that aspect and until these guys are up here actually delivering.
That's fine... but this section pretty much only exists so we can be excited over how our youngsters are playing against other youngsters.  I'm not really sure why you felt the need to put this here, it would more sense if someone brought up Bryce's AFL stats in the sign Dunn thread.

Offline hammondsnats

That's fine... but this section pretty much only exists so we can be excited over how our youngsters are playing against other youngsters.  I'm not really sure why you felt the need to put this here, it would more sense if someone brought up Bryce's AFL stats in the sign Dunn thread.

Eh, if it needs to be moved it can be.  I'm just saying to be cautious with expectations that's all.