Author Topic: 2012-13 NCAA Basketball Thread  (Read 23906 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: 2012-13 NCAA Basketball Thread
« Reply #350: March 12, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
Maryland bball could eventually dominate the B1G. We're used to playing elite teams so dealing with Indiana, Michigan and MSU shouldn't be cause for much consternation.

I know there are a lot of edsel haters, bit I really lime the direction the program is taking. The future looks promising.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #351: March 12, 2013, 12:13:47 PM »
The Big 10 is more of a bruiser conference (like the Big East).   They'll pound on MD early to see if they can take it.   They'll try to push the new kid around.   I think the refs will let them.    The Big 10 will be surprised at how big/strong MD is.   It's gonna be a great ride.
It is a bruiser conference, but you're seeing a lot more teams open it up offensively.  There are exceptions, but on the whole, teams are pusing the tempo and running in transition a lot more than they were even last year.  The new wave of coaches are almost all more offensively minded.  Wisconsin and Northwestern are really the only exceptions.  They play a much more grinding, deliberate style of play, but the rest of the conference is moving towards faster tempos, motion offense, pressure defenses.  It's been a lot of fun to watch this year  Again, there are a couple of exceptions, but on the whole, it's a lot better than it was.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #352: March 12, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »
Maryland bball could eventually dominate the B1G. We're used to playing elite teams so dealing with Indiana, Michigan and MSU shouldn't be cause for much consternation.

I know there are a lot of edsel haters, bit I really lime the direction the program is taking. The future looks promising.
You're not going to come in and dominate the Big Ten, certainly not from day 1.   Teams don't dominate in the Big Ten, even the elite teams.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #353: March 12, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
I didn't say day one, I said eventually and I stand by that. Having played teams like Duke and UNC twice per season is just as much a test of ones mettle as MSU and Indiana. Michigan isn't good on a regular enough basis to be a regular concern.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #354: March 12, 2013, 12:26:23 PM »
Having played teams like Duke and UNC twice per season is just as much a test of ones mettle as MSU and Indiana.

you're giving too much credit to MSU and Indiana

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #355: March 12, 2013, 12:36:04 PM »
You won't be dominating in 5 or 10 years either.  Again, having experience vs. top teams isn't the same as beating them.  You might very well be a top third team, but you won't be dominating the conference, that just doesn't happen in the Big Ten.  In the ACC you had two elite teams to worry about, in the Big Ten, you've got three and can make an argument for two more. 

As long as Beilein is at Michigan, they're going to be one of the top teams in the country.  It's a deep, deep league.  The Big Ten is a different beast than the ACC.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #356: March 12, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »
You won't be dominating in 5 or 10 years either.  Again, having experience vs. top teams isn't the same as beating them.  You might very well be a top third team, but you won't be dominating the conference, that just doesn't happen in the Big Ten.  In the ACC you had two elite teams to worry about, in the Big Ten, you've got three and can make an argument for two more. 

As long as Beilein is at Michigan, they're going to be one of the top teams in the country.  It's a deep, deep league.  The Big Ten is a different beast than the ACC.

you can make an argument that MSU is elite (they haven't won the tourney in a while though), but none of the other schools are elite except against each other. Maryland alone has as many championships since 2000 as the whole big 10 (ACC as a whole has 5 over that time frame). Duke and UNC are just not in the same league as the big 10, and Maryland (second runner up in the ACC over the last decade) should be in a position to succeed immediately.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #357: March 12, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »
I'm looking forward to being a B1G fan.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #358: March 12, 2013, 01:28:56 PM »
Come on DPM, you're acting like Maryland is moving up from D2.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #359: March 12, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »

Well, the Big 10 did finally win a couple of the ACC/Big 10 challenge tournaments, I guess the decade+ of futility is quickly forgotten.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #360: March 12, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »
i love MD being in the Big Ten.  i'll miss the ACC, but it hasn't been the same in years. 

and yes MD will hold their own in basketball soon in B1G. 

people forget that indiana was a doormat for the last few years.  it took crean some time to get them back.  Turgeon will do the same w/ Terps and they will compete for B1G titles. 

football, they may not be able to compete with michigan/ohio state/penn state, but i've finally come around a bit on the FB progress and think they be a mid-tier program in B1G.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #361: March 12, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »
i wish MD could join this upcoming year.  need to get out of the ACC as fast as possible.

oh also curious to see if B1G continues their pursuit of UVA/UNC/GT.  they want to add 2 more schools.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #362: March 12, 2013, 02:37:37 PM »
you can make an argument that MSU is elite (they haven't won the tourney in a while though), but none of the other schools are elite except against each other. Maryland alone has as many championships since 2000 as the whole big 10 (ACC as a whole has 5 over that time frame). Duke and UNC are just not in the same league as the big 10, and Maryland (second runner up in the ACC over the last decade) should be in a position to succeed immediately.

I give credit to Indiana because they have had a history of success and I believe they are the type program that will remain successful long term.

I do however believe that the Terps will be a top tier B1G team quickly if not immediately. As for football, I can see ua continuing as we have in the past. Years here and there of success followed by years of utter futility. Nothing changes. I do see Edsel building a better team long term than the Fridge did.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #363: March 12, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
Two huge mistakes for the Big East were:

1) when they decided to add football, letting villanova (I think it was them, but it was a basketball school) block Penn State.  It led to bringing in Miami instead, which led to Miami bolting for the ACC.

2) not cutting a deal with the ACC to have Louisville go there instead of BC when BC, VA Tech, and Miami were added. It would have tightened up the territorial integrity. 

I'm really looking forward to playing Pitt and Syracuse again.

Where's UConn after all this?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #364: March 12, 2013, 03:00:41 PM »
I think the Big East's biggest mistake was the mish-mash of members, what with the "football-only" members, "non-football" members, "full members," and so on, varying wildly all the time. It was a recipe for instability all along. I don't necessarily fault them for trying to make a go of it in football, but after Miami, BC, and VPI left, the handwriting was on the wall. The split coming this summer is what probably should have happened once Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and WVU announced they were leaving—had the league retrenched as a basketball-centered conference then, it might have held together better. Instead, they've made themselves look utterly desperate with some of the "football-only" members they added (several of whom later reneged—TCU, Boise State, and San Diego State). Of course, I suppose the reason they look that way is because they are utterly desperate.

JCA, to answer your question, Connecticut will (at least initially) be part of the new all-sports conference to come from the ashes of the Big East (that is, the conference being formed by the schools that are not seceding and taking the "Big East" name with them). Membership for 2013–14 is to be as follows:

Connecticut
Rutgers (departs for Big Ten in 2014)
Temple
Cincinnati
Louisville (departure for ACC expected to be in 2014)
Memphis
SMU
Houston
South Florida
Central Florida

ECU (football-only) and Tulane (all sports) are scheduled to join in 2014 and Navy (football-only) is expected to join in 2015.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #365: March 12, 2013, 03:01:14 PM »
Where's UConn after all this?

a relatively crappy state school whose success was based on a shady coach who's now gone.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #366: March 12, 2013, 03:02:20 PM »

Temple
Cincinnati
Memphis
SMU
Houston
South Florida
Central Florida

ECU (football-only) and Tulane (all sports) are scheduled to join in 2014 and Navy (football-only) is expected to join in 2015.

MAC 2.0

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #367: March 12, 2013, 03:04:05 PM »
that conference will get picked clean too.  UConn does not have a natural rival in it. 

Was UConn black balled from the ACC?  They seem like a natural fit.  High quality basketball and soccer, mid range football, and a decent baseball program.  Only missing lacrosse.

Oh, and as for the crooked coach - don't insult Auriama like that.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #368: March 12, 2013, 03:07:29 PM »
that conference will get picked clean too.  UConn does not have a natural rival in it. 

Was UConn black balled from the ACC?  They seem like a natural fit.  High quality basketball and soccer, mid range football, and a decent baseball program.  Only missing lacrosse.

Oh, and as for the crooked coach - don't insult Auriama like that.

I think they were blackballed, but I seem to remember the excuse was academics

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #369: March 12, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »
The report I read said that Boston College was dead-set against Connecticut joining, I think in part due to bad blood arising from the 2003–05 ACC expansion. Recall that the original targets that time were Miami, Syracuse, and BC (VPI wound up being part of it instead of Syracuse due to state politics in Richmond). BC was one of the defendants in the Big East's lawsuit back then.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #370: March 12, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »
no I'm not, I'm just saying they're not going to dominate their new league.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #371: March 12, 2013, 05:29:51 PM »
You sure seem to think that the Big 10 is a superior league. What evidence are you leaning on for that?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #372: March 12, 2013, 05:34:21 PM »
Ohio St. is in that class the last decade and as long as Beilein and Crean are at Michigan and Indiana, they will be too.

Championships are not the only way to define elite.  They're part of the definition.  The ACC has put 16 teams in the final four the past 20 years.  The Big Ten has put 14, the SEC has put 14 as well.  no other conference has put more than ten in the final four.  The Big Ten has had nine different schools make an appearance in that time.  The ACC only 4.  13 of those trips have been from either Duke or UNC.  In the past five years, the Big East has been the best conference, sending five teams to the final four.  ACC and Big Ten are next with three. 

the Big Ten does't take a back seat to anyone in terms of quality and from what I've seen the past couple of years, it's deeper than the ACC.  It may not be that way every year, but the past two years, it has been.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #373: March 12, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »
You sure seem to think that the Big 10 is a superior league. What evidence are you leaning on for that?
Have you watched them play this year?  It's not close.  They were better last year, too.  That's the league they're coming into, not what it was five or ten years ago.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #374: March 12, 2013, 05:41:10 PM »
You'll get no argument that the B1G is superior to the ACC in football although overrated otherwise, but when it comes to bball, ACC top to bottom is superior in hoops. Wake, GTech and NCState have been down recently but they are programs that I fully expect to rebound.