Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158194 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #175: November 25, 2008, 11:11:29 AM »
Who would have thought that a brewery trying for the first time to make a spirit, working with beer ingrediants, wouldn't be able to make a product as good as a distillery making the same thing for generations

It's my understanding that they make some every year - maybe the website never updated their blurb . . .

Offline Dave B

« Reply #176: November 25, 2008, 03:58:40 PM »
No, really, what makes it so special that it needs to be put in the Holy Grail? I've never heard of this stuff before.

Its kinda that thing that irked me about DFH. Develop reputation as awesome beer brewer. Do crazy unnecessary crap and charge lot of money for it and people assume it is awesome and they think they should like because the company apparently makes good beer (and can do no wrong) and if you are or pretending to be a beer afficionado you to will like it.

As with everything, I'm sure some like it and some dont. It probably does not cost enough to make to warrant a 600$ price tag, but you might as well charge it anyway and some Bostonhead will buy it because they think all things Boston are awesome. 

I'm the anti Boston head. I wont buy anything from there if I can help it. 

I wont go into what I do and do not like right now, because I'm sure my unsophisticated pallete (sp?) will fail me and make my opinions look more foolish

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #177: November 27, 2008, 10:53:49 AM »
Its kinda that thing that irked me about DFH. Develop reputation as awesome beer brewer. Do crazy unnecessary crap and charge lot of money for it and people assume it is awesome and they think they should like because the company apparently makes good beer (and can do no wrong) and if you are or pretending to be a beer afficionado you to will like it.

As with everything, I'm sure some like it and some dont. It probably does not cost enough to make to warrant a 600$ price tag, but you might as well charge it anyway and some Bostonhead will buy it because they think all things Boston are awesome. 

I'm the anti Boston head. I wont buy anything from there if I can help it. 

I wont go into what I do and do not like right now, because I'm sure my unsophisticated pallete (sp?) will fail me and make my opinions look more foolish

Personally, I find their lager gross. I like Yuengling (big surprise), even though it's unsophisticated. I like their winter ale and octoberfest and summer ale and porter though. But I'd like to taste the utopia - it's outside the box. Charging $600, as long as people pay for it, actually makes sense.

Also, I don't go for trappist ales, even though people pay huge bucks for those, because I don't like the syrupiness.

Offline El Kabong

« Reply #178: November 29, 2008, 11:48:30 PM »
Gimme anything from Victory Brewing, especially Hopdevil:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #179: November 30, 2008, 01:22:33 AM »
Trappist ales are the perfect breakfast beer for that very reason! 

And they aren't expensive in Belgium, even with the slapnuts U$D.  A bottle of Chimay in the cafeteria of the Musee des Beaux Arts in Brussels costs a buck or two...one just has to drink enough to justify the airfare.   

Personally, I find their lager gross. I like Yuengling (big surprise), even though it's unsophisticated. I like their winter ale and octoberfest and summer ale and porter though. But I'd like to taste the utopia - it's outside the box. Charging $600, as long as people pay for it, actually makes sense.

Also, I don't go for trappist ales, even though people pay huge bucks for those, because I don't like the syrupiness.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #180: November 30, 2008, 01:31:13 PM »
Trappist ales are the perfect breakfast beer for that very reason! 

And they aren't expensive in Belgium, even with the slapnuts U$D.  A bottle of Chimay in the cafeteria of the Musee des Beaux Arts in Brussels costs a buck or two...one just has to drink enough to justify the airfare.   

For some reason they need a 400% markup in the US. Crazy.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #181: December 01, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »
Got some of the Brooklyn Chocolate Stuff. Reminded of some of those DFH 12% dealies they have at their restaurants.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #182: December 02, 2008, 08:35:30 AM »
Got some of the Brooklyn Chocolate Stuff. Reminded of some of those DFH 12% dealies they have at their restaurants.

Did you like it?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #183: December 02, 2008, 10:34:55 AM »
We plan on doing a side by side comparison with a "focus group" between Brooklyn Chocolate Stoudt and Young Double Chocolate Stoudt.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #184: December 02, 2008, 10:45:16 AM »
We plan on doing a side by side comparison with a "focus group" between Brooklyn Chocolate Stoudt and Young Double Chocolate Stoudt.

Generally, I become somewhat unfocused during these events.  Maybe I'm supposed to spit out the samples.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #185: December 02, 2008, 10:48:12 AM »

I'm looking for some Oyster Stout now. Apparently you can get some made with real oysters. Maybe next time I get near the water - as it's best enjoyed with oysters, and they're not so fresh in my neck of the woods.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #186: December 02, 2008, 01:13:20 PM »
While there may be more than one brand, the Oyster Stoudt I know is made by Fordham Brewery out of Milton, DE.  It can be found on tap at the Ramshead restaurants in Annapolis and Baltimore.

I'm looking for some Oyster Stout now. Apparently you can get some made with real oysters. Maybe next time I get near the water - as it's best enjoyed with oysters, and they're not so fresh in my neck of the woods.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #187: December 02, 2008, 01:58:39 PM »

The thought of that makes me want to vomit - is it like clamato? :stupid:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #188: December 02, 2008, 07:33:31 PM »
The thought of that makes me want to vomit - is it like clamato? :stupid:

They throw a few oysters in barrel - a tiny amount for a huge batch of beer - just wanted to try - I'll try almost anything once.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #189: December 02, 2008, 10:15:22 PM »
Did you like it?

it was different. i think i have to acquire a taste for it. it didnt blow me away. i dont know how it stacks up to other high alcohol beer type things. i only had the DFH one. that one was actually kinda hard to get down. i dont know if it was the extra 2% or what. maybe it just wasnt as good

Offline Dave B

« Reply #190: December 02, 2008, 10:18:12 PM »

They are way different. The Youngs was nitrogenated like Guiness. I'm assuming it was of normal alcohol content, not 10%.   BK is carbonated

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #191: December 02, 2008, 10:23:40 PM »
http://www.troegs.com/beers_elf.htm

The 101 ouncer is 60 bucks! This better be good (not that I'm buying it)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #192: December 02, 2008, 10:24:41 PM »
it was different. i think i have to acquire a taste for it. it didnt blow me away. i dont know how it stacks up to other high alcohol beer type things. i only had the DFH one. that one was actually kinda hard to get down. i dont know if it was the extra 2% or what. maybe it just wasnt as good

This one is high alcohol and tastes great - it'll get you DRUNK
http://www.troegs.com/beers_nator.htm

Offline Dave B

« Reply #193: December 02, 2008, 10:27:57 PM »
it'll get you DRUNK

I'll have a Sam Jackson

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #194: December 02, 2008, 10:29:19 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #195: December 04, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »
Tonight, I had a Dominion Baltic Porter.  What the #$% is that, you might be thinking?

It is a "bottom-fermented lager brewed to meet your need for warmth on a cold winter's night.  Hints of licorice, toffee, & chocolate mingle with German pilsner, Crystal, Dark Specialty Malts & a touch of Rye giving our porter a full-bodied taste."

7.0% alcohol.  This was a damn good beer, but I haven't met very many porters I couldn't snuggle up with.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #196: December 04, 2008, 09:55:35 PM »
I'm warming up to the BK Chocolate. I think it tastes like coffee. I dont really drink coffee though, so I'm not too sure of that

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #197: December 04, 2008, 09:56:46 PM »
I'm warming up to the BK Chocolate. I think it tastes like coffee. I dont really drink coffee though, so I'm not too sure of that

I think it's one of the great American beers, but some so-called experts think it's too over the top with flavor.  Not me, I like the sledghammer approach to beer flavoring.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #198: December 04, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
Tonight, I had a Dominion Baltic Porter.  What the #$% is that, you might be thinking?

It is a "bottom-fermented lager brewed to meet your need for warmth on a cold winter's night.  Hints of licorice, toffee, & chocolate mingle with German pilsner, Crystal, Dark Specialty Malts & a touch of Rye giving our porter a full-bodied taste."

7.0% alcohol.  This was a damn good beer, but I haven't met very many porters I couldn't snuggle up with.

Just bought a Sam Adams winter sampler - gonna enjoy some with football this weekend

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #199: December 05, 2008, 08:35:53 AM »
Just bought a Sam Adams winter sampler - gonna enjoy some with football this weekend

Does it include the Scotch Ale?