Author Topic: Spring Training 2015  (Read 25513 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Re: Spring Training 2015
« Reply #50: December 04, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »
BTW.....I finished what I was working on this afternoon, so out of curiosity I looked to see what the one-way train fares are if you wanted to head down to spring training two days before the first home game on March 5. I set the departure date for Tuesday, March 3, not March 4, because it's an overnight ride and if the train is substantially late, you risk being late for a 1:05 PM game in Viera.

Bear in mind that just like the airlines, the fares vary depending on how heavily booked the train is. Mid-March is spring break time, so weekend trains may be especially in demand with people going to or from the beaches or Disney World. Also, Easter is April 5 next year so you can expect the trains the weekend before that to be busy. (The last game in Viera this coming spring is March 31.)

With no discounts:
Cost to bring an ordinary car that day is $239.00
Cost for two adults combined in coach class is $212.00 (this is the "base fare" for the passenger—the sleeping accommodation costs listed below represent the upcharge above coach class)
Total in coach class is thus $451.00

Add $143.00 for the Superliner Roomette ($594.00 total)
Add $322.00 for the Superliner Bedroom ($773.00 total.....usually we find the Bedroom is cheaper than this, so maybe there's heavy demand that week)
Add $378.00 for the Family Bedroom ($829.00 total....usually the Family Bedroom costs a lot more than the Superliner Bedroom. There was only one left that day)
It isn't offering the handicap-accessible room. As I noted in a prior post, the accommodation charge is a single charge per reservation. If you have two people, only one of them pays for the room.

AAA saves you 10% on the base passenger fare only—no discount on the charge for your vehicle or the sleeping accommodation. So in this case, with AAA you subtract $21.20 from each of the above amounts. Note that you have to produce a AAA card for each person you book as a "AAA Adult." When I go to the station to make the reservation, I have to get Ms1995hoo to give me her AAA card so I have both of them. They do ask to see them. I don't know how it works if you book online because I've never done that.

I compare the cost of driving by figuring if I take the most direct route south, it would be about 860 miles (two tweaks: I-295 around Richmond adds distance but saves time; I-295 around the east side of Jacksonville is similar and adds a scenic bridge). I never take the most direct route. But on an 860-mile drive, I'd fill the tank before leaving and then fill it again somewhere in South Carolina. If gas is $3.50 a gallon (my car takes premium) and I put in 15 gallons, that's $52.50 per fillup, so $105 for gas. (I usually wind up putting in a third tank of gas because I never take the most direct route. On the Interstate I can usually get around 410 to 430 miles per tank before my yellow light comes on.) Breakfast at McDonald's somewhere near Hopewell or Petersburg would run maybe $15 for two people. Lunch somewhere in South Carolina at a fast-food would be around another $20. Overnight stop in Georgia or near Jacksonville ought to run around $100 for an ordinary Hampton Inn. Since we hit the road around 7:00 AM, we try to stop around 6:00 PM or so to allow time for a leisurely dinner at a sit-down restuarant. Figure $75 to $100 for dinner. Breakfast at the hotel the next morning if we're at a Hampton Inn. We may or may not need to get lunch depending on how far we made it before the overnight stop, so that would be another $20. So the cost for driving is around $360 if you count two tanks of gas, closer to $410 if you figure three tanks. Maybe add another $10 for soda from a vending machine at a rest area or some such.

So the cost of driving compared to coach class on the train is actually pretty damn close, bearing in mind the train fare includes dinner and a continental breakfast. Amtrak has pretty good coffee, BTW. If you find some way to account for the value of your time spent driving versus reading or sleeping on the train, the train might in theory be cheaper.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #51: December 04, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »
Interesting breakdown. I'd really love to take the train...
BTW.....I finished what I was working on this afternoon, so out of curiosity I looked to see what the one-way train fares are if you wanted to head down to spring training two days before the first home game on March 5. I set the departure date for Tuesday, March 3, not March 4, because it's an overnight ride and if the train is substantially late, you risk being late for a 1:05 PM game in Viera.

Bear in mind that just like the airlines, the fares vary depending on how heavily booked the train is. Mid-March is spring break time, so weekend trains may be especially in demand with people going to or from the beaches or Disney World. Also, Easter is April 5 next year so you can expect the trains the weekend before that to be busy. (The last game in Viera this coming spring is March 31.)

With no discounts:
Cost to bring an ordinary car that day is $239.00
Cost for two adults combined in coach class is $212.00 (this is the "base fare" for the passenger—the sleeping accommodation costs listed below represent the upcharge above coach class)
Total in coach class is thus $451.00

Add $143.00 for the Superliner Roomette ($594.00 total)
Add $322.00 for the Superliner Bedroom ($773.00 total.....usually we find the Bedroom is cheaper than this, so maybe there's heavy demand that week)
Add $378.00 for the Family Bedroom ($829.00 total....usually the Family Bedroom costs a lot more than the Superliner Bedroom. There was only one left that day)
It isn't offering the handicap-accessible room. As I noted in a prior post, the accommodation charge is a single charge per reservation. If you have two people, only one of them pays for the room.

AAA saves you 10% on the base passenger fare only—no discount on the charge for your vehicle or the sleeping accommodation. So in this case, with AAA you subtract $21.20 from each of the above amounts. Note that you have to produce a AAA card for each person you book as a "AAA Adult." When I go to the station to make the reservation, I have to get Ms1995hoo to give me her AAA card so I have both of them. They do ask to see them. I don't know how it works if you book online because I've never done that.

I compare the cost of driving by figuring if I take the most direct route south, it would be about 860 miles (two tweaks: I-295 around Richmond adds distance but saves time; I-295 around the east side of Jacksonville is similar and adds a scenic bridge). I never take the most direct route. But on an 860-mile drive, I'd fill the tank before leaving and then fill it again somewhere in South Carolina. If gas is $3.50 a gallon (my car takes premium) and I put in 15 gallons, that's $52.50 per fillup, so $105 for gas. (I usually wind up putting in a third tank of gas because I never take the most direct route. On the Interstate I can usually get around 410 to 430 miles per tank before my yellow light comes on.) Breakfast at McDonald's somewhere near Hopewell or Petersburg would run maybe $15 for two people. Lunch somewhere in South Carolina at a fast-food would be around another $20. Overnight stop in Georgia or near Jacksonville ought to run around $100 for an ordinary Hampton Inn. Since we hit the road around 7:00 AM, we try to stop around 6:00 PM or so to allow time for a leisurely dinner at a sit-down restuarant. Figure $75 to $100 for dinner. Breakfast at the hotel the next morning if we're at a Hampton Inn. We may or may not need to get lunch depending on how far we made it before the overnight stop, so that would be another $20. So the cost for driving is around $360 if you count two tanks of gas, closer to $410 if you figure three tanks. Maybe add another $10 for soda from a vending machine at a rest area or some such.

So the cost of driving compared to coach class on the train is actually pretty damn close, bearing in mind the train fare includes dinner and a continental breakfast. Amtrak has pretty good coffee, BTW. If you find some way to account for the value of your time spent driving versus reading or sleeping on the train, the train might in theory be cheaper.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #52: December 04, 2014, 11:07:24 PM »
they have a really good free snack mix on the train too, and coffee/tea/hot cocoa and fruit.  And in the evening they put out cookies.

Offline OldNatsFan

« Reply #53: December 09, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »
Regarding the 1st home game on March 5, is the start time 105pm? I saw on one schedule the time listed as 505pm and others say TBD.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #54: December 09, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »
Regarding the 1st home game on March 5, is the start time 105pm? I saw on one schedule the time listed as 505pm and others say TBD.

The schedule I saw said TBD. I mentioned 1:05 simply in case that's when it turns out to be. If you arrived the morning of a game and the train were an hour late, for example, and then it took 90 minutes to get your car off the train, you'd be pulling out of the Sanford station at about noon. That'd be cutting it pretty close if the game were at 1:00, especially if you take the toll roads and pay cash instead of using SunPass.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #55: December 09, 2014, 02:27:48 PM »
I recently interviewed for a job down in Florida and they will be calling me tomorrow with an offer. If it all pans out, I will be seeing some of you at Spring Training.  :D

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #56: December 09, 2014, 03:21:38 PM »
I recently interviewed for a job down in Florida and they will be calling me tomorrow with an offer. If it all pans out, I will be seeing some of you at Spring Training.  :D

You can go from harassing Braves fans to harassing Fish fans :lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #57: December 09, 2014, 03:27:27 PM »
Is that really plural?
You can go from harassing Braves fans to harassing Fish fans :lol:

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #58: December 09, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »
Good show!

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #59: December 10, 2014, 07:53:08 AM »
Good for you - what would you be doing ?

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #60: December 10, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »
So right now I work in production knives and gear. This new position would be a different company that deals only in custom knives that sell anywhere from a couple hundred bucks, to a couple thousand. I would be doing everything from working on the website to answering phone calls to flying out to all the knife shows meeting the makers and building relationships.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #61: December 10, 2014, 03:52:45 PM »
So right now I work in production knives and gear. This new position would be a different company that deals only in custom knives that sell anywhere from a couple hundred bucks, to a couple thousand. I would be doing everything from working on the website to answering phone calls to flying out to all the knife shows meeting the makers and building relationships.

Do you do any design work?    I have a buddy (VN vet) who is a collector and he showed me his wears one day.    My goodness, I didn't realize there was such a market.

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #62: December 10, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »
Not yet... but possibly. The person who recommended me for this position lives down there. He has a knife making shop. I may get on that train at some point.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #63: December 10, 2014, 04:04:55 PM »
Not yet... but possibly. The person who recommended me for this position lives down there. He has a knife making shop. I may get on that train at some point.

My buddy has display cases to the nines.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #64: December 12, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »
Something else to consider for your Spring Training Travel planning.
The Air Force Thunderbirds will soar over the Space Coast for the 2015 TiCo Warbird Airshow on March 13-15, then the Navy Blue Angels will take to the skies a week later, March 21-22, for the Melbourne Air & Space Show.
http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2014/12/11/back-back-airshows-will-roar-space-coast/20252211/

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #65: December 12, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »
Something else to consider for your Spring Training Travel planning.
The Air Force Thunderbirds will soar over the Space Coast for the 2015 TiCo Warbird Airshow on March 13-15, then the Navy Blue Angels will take to the skies a week later, March 21-22, for the Melbourne Air & Space Show.
http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2014/12/11/back-back-airshows-will-roar-space-coast/20252211/
Blue Angels or GTFO.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #66: December 12, 2014, 11:32:20 AM »
Hmmmm ... how far is ST from Orlando? My uncle has a house in Orlando. And I can fly cheap on his buddy pass.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #67: December 12, 2014, 12:49:54 PM »
Hmmmm ... how far is ST from Orlando? My uncle has a house in Orlando. And I can fly cheap on his buddy pass.

40 minutes from the airport - but MCO is on the east side of Orlando so it may take a bit longer from your uncle's house

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #68: December 12, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #69: December 12, 2014, 04:39:20 PM »
:clap:

(I really don't mean it. I think they're all pretty awesome. :) )

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #70: December 12, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »
(I really don't mean it. I think they're all pretty awesome. :) )

haha they are, I'm biased because in the Summer I watch them practice every Tuesday morning outside my boss's window, never ever get tired of watching those guys :)

Offline mitlen

« Reply #71: December 12, 2014, 04:47:27 PM »
haha they are, I'm biased because in the Summer I watch them practice every Tuesday morning outside my boss's window, never ever get tired of watching those guys :)

Is he the gum chewer?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #72: December 12, 2014, 05:01:32 PM »
Is he the gum chewer?

If he was he'd be my ex-boss  :twisted:

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #73: December 16, 2014, 05:34:23 PM »
Twitter: Pitchers and catchers report on February 19.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #74: December 16, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »
Twitter: Pitchers and catchers report on February 19.

:woop: