Author Topic: MLB Data mis-feeds?  (Read 566 times)

Offline NatsAddict

MLB Data mis-feeds?
« Topic Start: August 18, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
I was reconciling Dan Uggla's stats, and noted I had him hitting into 8 DPs, and Baseball-Reference only having him with 6 GIDP.  So, I went and checked to find the differences, which could be a line-out/throw out DP, which was the case on July 27 (L6-5).  June 27, though, was a different story - a day in which Uggla did in fact hit into two GIDP.  There is no problem with his GIDP in the 7th; all sources have that undisputed.  But, he hit into GIDP in consecutive innings, also having done so in the 6th.

Per Baseball-Reference.com, Uggla only hit into one GIDP on June 27, and I had him hitting into two DPs.  So, I looked at Yahoo and found:

Bottom 6th: Florida
- J. Cantu singled to left
- D. Uggla grounded into fielder's choice, J. Cantu out at second
- C. Ross doubled to deep right
- R. Paulino walked
- A. Cunningham in left field
- R. Webb relieved M. Latos
- E. Bonifacio singled to shallow left center, C. Ross scored, R. Paulino to second
- M. Lamb hit for A. Sanchez
- M. Lamb lined out to shortstop

1 runs, 3 hits, 0 errors
San Diego 2, Florida 1
Note that only Cantu and Lamb were put out, and Uggla was never put out, but Ross, batting behind him, scored the one and only run that inning.

So, onto CBSSportsLine, which matched my records:

Marlins 6th
Mat Latos pitching:
Jorge Cantu :   Ball, Cantu singled to left.
Dan Uggla :   Foul, Ball, Strike swinging, Uggla grounded into double play second to shortstop to first, Cantu out at second.
Cody Ross :   Ball, Strike swinging, Ross doubled to deep right.
Ronny Paulino :   Foul, Ball, Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Foul, Paulino walked
Aaron Cunningham in left.
Ryan Webb relieved Mat Latos.
Emilio Bonifacio :   Ball, Ball, Strike looking, Bonifacio singled to center, Ross scored, Paulino to second
Mike Lamb hit for Anibal Sanchez.
Mike Lamb :   Strike looking, Foul, Lamb lined out to shortstop.
End of Inning (1 Run, 3 Hits, 0 Errors)
Glad to see the Marlins are permitted 3 outs per inning.

Clearly Yahoo, and more surprisingly, Baseball-Reference.com have bad data, missing the GIDP in the 6th.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: MLB Data mis-feeds?
« Reply #1: August 18, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »
Definitely send Baseball Reference an email/ticket about it.

They'll fix it for you.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2: August 18, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »
I was reconciling Dan Uggla's stats, and noted I had him hitting into 8 DPs, and Baseball-Reference only having him with 6 GIDP.  So, I went and checked to find the differences, which could be a line-out/throw out DP, which was the case on July 27 (L6-5).  June 27, though, was a different story - a day in which Uggla did in fact hit into two GIDP.  There is no problem with his GIDP in the 7th; all sources have that undisputed.  But, he hit into GIDP in consecutive innings, also having done so in the 6th.

Per Baseball-Reference.com, Uggla only hit into one GIDP on June 27, and I had him hitting into two DPs.  So, I looked at Yahoo and found:
Note that only Cantu and Lamb were put out, and Uggla was never put out, but Ross, batting behind him, scored the one and only run that inning.

So, onto CBSSportsLine, which matched my records:
Glad to see the Marlins are permitted 3 outs per inning.

Clearly Yahoo, and more surprisingly, Baseball-Reference.com have bad data, missing the GIDP in the 6th.

Wow !!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: August 18, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »
MLB.com has it wrong, too.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #4: August 18, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »
Definitely send Baseball Reference an email/ticket about it.

They'll fix it for you.

Will do.  I just sent and e-mail to one of the beat writers to get his take.  I'll forward that to BB-Reference.