Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158205 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2425: November 20, 2012, 01:07:41 PM »
I thought you folks liked Shiner Bock best.      :lmao:

It does score a solid 70 rating on Beer Advocate, however.  Not quite up there with the Brooklyn Dark Chocolate Stout or Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron supply I laid in for T-giving, however.

I wouldn't hesitate to rate the mint chocolate one over the Brooklyn Black Chocolate. BBC had a three-stage flavor hit and I liked the first and last but not the bitter alcohol twist in the middle.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2426: November 20, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
I don't know, minty beer seems odd, yet somehow tantalizing.

Offline blue911

« Reply #2427: November 20, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
I don't know, minty beer seems odd, yet somehow tantalizing.

Minty anything can't be good  :twisted:

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2428: November 24, 2012, 04:44:01 AM »
I'm finding I have quite a taste for mixing a porter/stoudt with an IPA

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2429: November 25, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »
Just for the hell of it, I put together a beer list for my Thanksgiving guests.

Printed off with fancy fonts and on nice tanned paper stock.  Nothing like sibling rivalry to motive one.   :lol:

BA is Beer Advocate rating.

Bud Light Lime   (Anheiser-Busch, 4.2% ABV) An American-style light lager that combines the easy drinkability of Bud Light with a splash of 100% lime flavor.  It has a delicate malt sweetness, a clean, crisp finish, and the taste of fresh-squeezed lime. BA 58

Budweiser  (Anheiser-Busch, 5% ABV)   Missouri- American-Style Lager- Brewed and sold since 1876, "The King of Beers" is the largest-selling beer in the world.  Crisp, clean, balanced, light-bodied.  BA 59

Amber   (Fat Tire, 5.2% ABV)  Clear copper-colored body with a thick, sticky, creamy, white head;  lacing on the glass. Rich, biscuit-like aroma; mild spicy, floral hop notes. Smooth, toasted malt flavors up-front; light caramel and subtlety burnt sugar; light fruitiness in the aftertaste. Smooth, rich, medium-bodied.  BA 81

Octoberfest  (Samuel Adams, 5.3% ABV)  Masterfully blends together five roasts of malt to create a delicious harmony of sweet flavors including caramel and toffee. The malt is complimented by the elegant bitterness imparted by the Bavarian Noble hops.  BA 83

Autumn Brown Ale Tumbler (Sierra Nevada, 5.5% ABV)  Malt forward flavors of toffee with some roasted nutty accents. Some nice caramel malt as well and a hint of coffee creamer on the back end.  Finishes dry and imparts a bit of bitterness.   BA 86

Pale Ale (Sierra Nevada, 5.6% ABV) Generous quantities of premium Cascade hops give the Pale Ale its fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor. Pours golden amber with a floral aroma. The taste is marvelously balanced; there is just enough of that piney, slightly bitter cascade hop flavor is to counter the thick sweetness of the malt.  Crisp, slightly citrus aftertaste.   BA 91

Puglsey’s Smashed Pumpkins (Shipyard, 9% ABV)  Pleasing aromas of pumpkin and nutmeg. Pale Ale, Wheat and Light 9Munich Malts combine with the natural tannin in pumpkin and the delicate spiciness of Willamette and Hallertau Hops to balance the sweetness of the fruit.  BA 82

Dark Chocolate Stout   (Brooklyn, 10% ABV) A pour as dark as you'll find with a fluffy dark tan head. Aromas of toasted and charred malts, dark fruits, and dark rum. The flavor is complex and powerful. A hit of alcohol comes first, followed by charred marshmallows, dark fruit, and chocolate. Noticeable kick from the hops leads to a long, dry, woody, slightly sour finish.   Very big, very tasty. BA 93

Palo Santo Marron   (Dogfish Head 12% ABV)  An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels.  Begins with a big shot of sweet malt and vanilla. Very quickly some toasted grain, wood, and just a bit of booziness come along and balance the sweetness.  Hints of dark dried fruit.  BA 92

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2430: November 25, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
Oh god Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, so good.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2431: November 25, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »
that's awesome Tom.  I always keep a 12 pack of bud light lime in the fridge, I never get tired of it.  It's my "house beer."

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2432: November 25, 2012, 10:55:31 PM »
Just for the hell of it, I put together a beer list for my Thanksgiving guests.

Printed off with fancy fonts and on nice tanned paper stock.  Nothing like sibling rivalry to motive one.   :lol:

BA is Beer Advocate rating.

God are you snooty. God do I want you to host all my Thanksgiving dinners from now on. :lol:

And Nathan, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's an awesome "house beer." For that purpose I also like Alaskan Amber, which is oh so smooth and delicious (BA 83).

Offline Nathan

« Reply #2433: November 26, 2012, 12:00:19 AM »
House beer?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2434: November 26, 2012, 06:44:20 AM »
One that's always in the fridge for friends.  Brooklyn Lager has always been the house beer for us.  Now that we're in OBX, the Outer Banks Brewing Company's growlers are a new house beer.

House beer?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2435: November 26, 2012, 07:09:48 AM »
My local watering hole has $3.50 pints of Sierra all the time.  Good thing it's a couple of blocks from my house...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2436: November 26, 2012, 11:07:47 AM »
Introduced my mom and brother to Guinness over the weekend.  He liked it quite a lot.  Mom didn't.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2437: November 26, 2012, 02:54:53 PM »
God are you snooty. God do I want you to host all my Thanksgiving dinners from now on. :lol:

:lol:     

By brother brought a bunch of Raison D'Etre as well, had to offer that one as an "off-menu special selection".

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2438: November 27, 2012, 07:21:29 PM »
normally when i try to introduce people to non macro beers, i go the lager/pale ale route. my sister and her husband were visiting a couple weekends ago and we did tastings at chocolate city brewery and dc brau. they could hardly stomach the pale ale type things, but really liked the belgian quad at dc brau and dc brau's belgian pale. i generally consider things like quads and other belgian stuff the exotic end of the spectrum and wouldnt expect that to appeal to michelob ultra drinkers. now considering my sister's experience and a coworker whose two favorite beers are coors light and delirium trmens, maybe there is more than one way to show people they dont have to drink macros

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2439: November 27, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »
Finally found the Left Hand Milk Stout at the Giant on Edsall Rd. in Alexandria. Bought a sixer. There was 5/6 of another sixer left; someone had removed one of the bottles. Had it with dinner (pulled pork), it was a nice pairing.

Offline bshep86

• Thank you Davey!
« Reply #2440: November 27, 2012, 08:37:19 PM »

Really? Sierra Nevada? Blah, their stuff is so bland.

I've been trying the different stuff Newcastle makes. Even though they are made by Heineken, they have some interesting stuff. I just got Werewolf the other day.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2441: November 27, 2012, 09:24:53 PM »
comish, a pro tip: Left Hand Milk Stout makes great beer floats with the right ice cream or gelato.

Dave B - my path into liking beer at all led straight through Belgium. Literally. I moved to England just a couple weeks after turning 21, and because of the crap beer we all drank in college I thought the only beer I liked the taste of was Blue Moon. A class trip to the Netherlands and Belgium introduced me to Hoegaarden, De Koninck, La Trappe Wit, and Chimay Blue, and I've never been the same.

A Belgian quadruple (Rochefort 10) is still my #1 favorite beer ever. Although I was pretty hammered by the time I started drinking it, so there's that...

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2442: November 27, 2012, 10:43:40 PM »
We had the Lefthand Milk Stoudt for dinner at Trio's in Kitty Hawk

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2443: December 03, 2012, 11:20:16 PM »
2IPAs and I are enjoying the Stone Mint Chocolate Stoudt right now

Stop talking about the mint stout you bastard,  I'm desperate to try it and no one seems to carry it

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2444: December 03, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »
where how is it as good as I remember?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2445: December 04, 2012, 06:00:09 AM »
We liked it alot and hope we can find some more

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2446: December 04, 2012, 08:55:54 AM »

:glug:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2447: December 04, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »
Black Squirrel has a number of impressive new beers for December...Duclaw X-1 Imperial Chocolate was surprisingly good (I don't normally go for chocolatey beers except for maybe Fuller's) and the Devil's Backbone Kilt Flasher was also a standout (and I'm not generally a big fan of Scottish ales, which are often overly sweet for my taste).  They have some really obscure ones on tap right now...gotta love the half keg.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #2448: December 04, 2012, 04:29:48 PM »
I just realized - it's almost the time of year for Rahr & Sons Winter Warmer! I love winter brews and Fort Worth's finest is pretty enjoyable. Gonna have to stock up for spring, in fact.

doing a tour of their brewery tomorrow! 3 brews and a tour for $10. DEAL

Offline saltydad

« Reply #2449: December 14, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »
I have to admit that I keep Yuengling Black and Tan in the fridge for beer emergencies if I don't have Dogfish, etc. to drink.  My guilty pleasure.