Author Topic: Favorite sports team...  (Read 2629 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Favorite sports team...
« Reply #75: March 02, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
Well sure, there's a small area in between the two cities that are equidistant.

I'm just saying I understand why people are Orioles fans even if DC is closer.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #76: March 02, 2012, 09:18:27 PM »
Okay fine, there are multiple areas that are equidistant.

The two cities still have nothing in common and residents from either won't identify with each other's sports teams.

Online blue911

« Reply #77: March 02, 2012, 09:34:35 PM »
There are many areas that are equidistant, I'm about an our and a half drive from each, not considering traffic.

So do not go to Baltimore as often as you not go to Washington?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #78: March 02, 2012, 09:37:48 PM »
Omar's comin.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #79: March 02, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »
So do not go to Baltimore as often as you not go to Washington?

:lmao:

:thumbs:

:D

:)

:|

:?

:(

:'(

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #80: March 02, 2012, 10:05:05 PM »
Nats/Sox makes sense to me - a lot of people who end up here go to school in New England, and it's not like there is history or animosity between the teams

I'm not sure I've met a Yankee fan yet that didn't like the Nats too.   One guy described it as a nostalgia thing, he'd grown up with the Yanks playing the Senators and it felt right to him that we had our team again.  Plus not in the same league, made it easy to root for the Nats in a low key manner.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #81: March 02, 2012, 10:07:09 PM »
Okay fine, there are multiple areas that are equidistant.

Like LA, for example.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #82: March 02, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »
Hate to say this, but in terms of drive time, for an evening game, Camden Yards is probably shorter than Nats Park from The Land of Sublime Living™, Gaithersburg MD.

Kills me to say that, but I can pop over 108 to 32 to 95 North. Nats Park is 270S to GW Parkway to 395/295...

Like LA, for example.

Offline hammondsnats

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #84: March 02, 2012, 11:14:47 PM »
Two different cities, two different cultures, two different traditions. Also, never made it to BMore in 40 minutes from DC.

Some people don't seem to get this. Maybe it's the terps and their lingering attachment to the birds?   :shrug:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #85: March 03, 2012, 08:28:12 AM »
Or maybe it's just stupid to make sweeping declarative statements that don't make much sense?   :shrug:

:?

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #86: March 03, 2012, 09:31:58 AM »
It's fine to support the local teams but to call baltimore teams local is freaking stupid.

I have no problem supporting the local teams, as long as it's within reason. One example: George Mason's run a few years ago in the basketball tournament. I was pulling for them like most people were back then. I didn't go out and buy a jersey or anything and suddenly become a big GMU fan. It was a great run and a nice story. If the Redskins were to make the playoffs and the Ravens didn't, I would probably pull for the 'Skins. Again, I wouldn't suddenly break out an MDS jersey and wear it around. That's kind of what I was getting at, the fans who switch jerseys depending on the W-L records of local teams.  Sorta like Hammonds..who would be wearing an Orioles jersey if the world ended and the Birds won a World Series.  :lmao:

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #87: March 03, 2012, 09:33:02 AM »
Some people don't seem to get this. Maybe it's the terps and their lingering attachment to the birds?   :shrug:

:lmao:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #88: March 03, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »
Two different cities, two different cultures, two different traditions. Also, never made it to BMore in 40 minutes from DC.

I made it to RFK from Highlandtown in 45 minutes on more than one occasion.  Opposite direction obviously, but just throwing it out there.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #89: March 03, 2012, 11:08:10 AM »
As I said before, I rooted for the O's pre-Angelos.  I saw HOFs Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken play.  The cities don't have to be the same culturally for me to root for them.  I'll go see the NATS play the O's IN BALTIMORE and root for the NATS.  If there's an American League team I want to see, I'll go to Baltimore.  If there is a promo I want to get that's in Baltimore, I'll go for that too!  They are a LOCAL team.  They are not that far a drive.

Like BerkleyNat's explanation of George Mason is how I root for the "local teams".  When it comes to March Madness, I'll root for TERPS, GW, GTOWN, AMERICAN, MASON, TECH, VA, J.MADISON, etc.  They are all local teams.  If they are in the DC, Maryland or VA, I'll root for them to win.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #90: March 03, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
As I said before, I rooted for the O's pre-Angelos.  I saw HOFs Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken play.  The cities don't have to be the same culturally for me to root for them.  I'll go see the NATS play the O's IN BALTIMORE and root for the NATS.  If there's an American League team I want to see, I'll go to Baltimore.  If there is a promo I want to get that's in Baltimore, I'll go for that too!  They are a LOCAL team.  They are not that far a drive.

Like BerkleyNat's explanation of George Mason is how I root for the "local teams".  When it comes to March Madness, I'll root for TERPS, GW, GTOWN, AMERICAN, MASON, TECH, VA, J.MADISON, etc.  They are all local teams.  If they are in the DC, Maryland or VA, I'll root for them to win.

I go to several Orioles games a year. I generally do two of the three games when the Nats are in BMore. I might do all three this year. I'm trying to see every MLB team at least once. I'm also doing that with the Capitals and the NHL teams. I jumped all over seeing the Sharks in town a few weeks ago so I could cross them off my list.  :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #91: March 03, 2012, 12:06:13 PM »
To me, this is more interesting when people adopt a team or a school that you did not go to or that is not local (or, if you grew up elsewhere, not from your area).  Most folks here are going to like Washington teams and the local schools, unless you went to a rival of a local school.  Those who grew up elsewhere are going to like their old home town teams.   

For example, I always used to root for arkansas after watching Sidney Moncrief.  I liked their Lou Holtz teams, too, so I kind of pulled for them up to my mid 30s.  At various times, I've followed Seattle, Cleveland, Minnesota, and Tampa Bay as my other AL teams (I'll not count B'more, even though I am sure I have been to more games at OPACY than any other stadium except possibly Schaefer / Sullivan / Foxboro, because it was "local" before the Nats).  Expos were always my NL team, like a lot of folks from Boston, due to Bill Lee, Dick Williams, the proximity, and the underdog status.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #92: March 03, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »
I forgot Texas.  Always kinda sorta rooted for them in the West.  Still do!

I went to college 30 miles east of Cleveland.  So when not playing DC area teams, I kind of rooted for them too.

AL East - Anyone but the Yankees
AL Central - Cleveland
AL West - Texas

NL East - DUH!  NATS
NL Central - Cards
NL West - Dodgers

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #93: March 03, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »
Redskins. I'm a bi-polar nut, but that's the way with all teams. I just take the losses twice as hard and am in a crappy mood all damn week (lots of craptness).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #94: March 03, 2012, 02:02:02 PM »
if the world ended, i'd be rocking a nats hat and maryland basketball jersey and kahki shorts while drinking a miller lite.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #95: March 03, 2012, 02:05:03 PM »
I'm pretty much equidistant from Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Washington D.C. . Approximately 2.5hrs drive to each place depending on traffic.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #96: March 03, 2012, 02:19:20 PM »
I'm pretty much equidistant from Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Washington D.C. . Approximately 2.5hrs drive to each place depending on traffic.

Hagerstown?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #97: March 03, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »
Hagerstown?

Wouldn't that be equidistant between Frederick and Hancock?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #98: March 03, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #99: March 03, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
if the world ended, i'd be rocking a nats hat and maryland basketball jersey and kahki shorts while drinking a miller lite.

And these pinned all over your gear.