Author Topic: Is Ben Sheets for real?  (Read 564 times)

Offline RyanZimsKazoo

• Ryan Zimmerman is passionate about baseball...
Is Ben Sheets for real?
« Topic Start: August 07, 2012, 01:55:55 AM »
I am just curious as to what everyone thinks of the resurgence of Ben Sheets. Its truly sad that he is on the Braves because I really want to root for this guy. He went from a decent starting pitcher to absolutely nothing to coming back with such driven performances it really makes you feel good for the guy. It sucks that his career has always been plagued with injuries because it is remarkable that a guy with so much documented injuries to have a .500 record (93-93) after all these years.

I guess my question is...do you think he is capable of keeping up this type of play or will he fall to another injury?

Kind of wish we had Ben Sheets for September/October now over Lannan or Detwiler.

Offline blue911

Re: Is Ben Sheets for real?
« Reply #1: August 07, 2012, 02:05:48 AM »
What you are seeing is typical of a healthy Ben Sheets. This is why Minty wanted the Nats to sign him a couple of years ago.. Damn fine pitcher. He's like Nick Johnson it's not a question of If but When he ends up on the DL.

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #2: August 07, 2012, 11:26:45 AM »
Well, he clearly is not going to maintain an 88% LOB rate or allow home runs only on only 3% of his flyballs. I think a "healthy" Ben Sheets also threw 2-3 MPH faster.

I actually think what we're seeing is mid-30s Mike Mussina - heavily reliant on offspeed pitches and command, really good pitcher. So yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the new Ben Sheets was a 4 win pitcher over 200 innings.

Offline DC_Nats

« Reply #3: August 15, 2012, 10:58:10 AM »
There are now reports that he is experiencing "dead body" meaning that he is sore not just in his arm but all over. Will have to see if the six-man rotation helps them. Doesn't look like we'll get a chance to smack him around (a la Vogelsong) next week as we miss him during the series.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: August 15, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »
There are now reports that he is experiencing "dead body" meaning that he is sore not just in his arm but all over. Will have to see if the six-man rotation helps them. Doesn't look like we'll get a chance to smack him around (a la Vogelsong) next week as we miss him during the series.

I though that was a joke, but
But Sheets said Tuesday he would characterize it more as “dead body” now that he’s six starts into his comeback after two years out of baseball following multiple elbow operations.

“My whole body felt dead,” Sheets said. “I was like ‘Weekend at Bernie’s’ guy. I was like Bernie.”

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/15/ben-sheets-admits-hes-a-zombie/

the braves got a half dozen starts out of him, they should consider them selves lucky and move on

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #5: August 15, 2012, 11:10:34 AM »
'Dead body' immediately moves to the top of the charts for funniest reason to DL a guy.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #6: August 15, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »
As a chronic sufferer of dead body syndrome I find these jokes offensive.