Author Topic: Derek Jeter: SI Sportsman of the Year  (Read 4992 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Re: Derek Jeter: SI Sportsman of the Year
« Reply #1: November 30, 2009, 03:46:05 PM »
Why?

Offline Dexter Morgan

« Reply #2: November 30, 2009, 03:59:20 PM »
5th World Series title, became the All-Time Yankee hit leader, the great work he does with his foundation Turn 2

Other than Kobe Bryant, not sure who it should of went to. Wasn't any obvious candidates.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #3: November 30, 2009, 04:00:20 PM »
*yawn*

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #4: November 30, 2009, 04:01:19 PM »
I forgot about the all-time NYY hits leader thing.  Seems like weak year for standout athletes.  Maybe Phelps if he hadn't had the weed issues after the Olympics otherwise, there's not much.  I guess DJ's as good as anyone.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: November 30, 2009, 04:04:08 PM »
I didn't know Jeter hunted.

Offline Dexter Morgan

« Reply #6: November 30, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »
I forgot about the all-time NYY hits leader thing.  Seems like weak year for standout athletes.  Maybe Phelps if he hadn't had the weed issues after the Olympics otherwise, there's not much.  I guess DJ's as good as anyone.

He got it last year

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #7: November 30, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »
He got it last year

Glad they didn't make Jeter jump in a swimming pool with his uniform on. That was a silly photo...

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: November 30, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »
He got it last year
I'm getting my years all mixed up...disregard my presence in this thread...

Offline blue911

« Reply #9: November 30, 2009, 04:33:18 PM »
They should have given it to Roger Federer.

Offline Dexter Morgan

« Reply #10: November 30, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »
They should have given it to Roger Federer.

Probably would of won it if he didn't get beat badly in the US Open final.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: November 30, 2009, 04:55:07 PM »
became the All-Time Yankee hit leader trails Harold Baines all time hit total,

Derek Jeter Honored For Having Fewer Hits Than Harold Baines

Offline Dexter Morgan

« Reply #12: November 30, 2009, 04:58:15 PM »
Derek Jeter Honored For Having Fewer Hits Than Harold Baines

I know it's a joke... but Baines played 22 seasons, Derek Jeter will pass him during his 15th.  Jeter is just 253 hits shy of 3,000.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #13: November 30, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »
I know it's a joke... but Baines played 22 seasons, Derek Jeter will pass him during his 15th.  Jeter is just 253 hits shy of 3,000.

Kudos to you for handling that zinger better than a lot of people would have :thumbs:

Also, Phelps' face looks weird on that cover.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14: November 30, 2009, 05:31:41 PM »
Dexter - It's just any excuse I have to link to an Onion article I'll do it.  In fairness, here's another:
http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/outfielders_take_knee
BOSTON—As the 2009 baseball season progresses, major-league managers are defending against Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek by employing what they call the "Varitek Shift," a defensive maneuver in which infielders move up past the pitcher's mound and outfielders take a knee and relax. "It's very effective," Minnesota Twins manager Ron Gardenhire told reporters. "If Jason makes contact with the ball, which is rare in itself, he usually hits slow dribblers that catch infielders by surprise because of how weak they're hit. So, by moving the infielders up, and having the pitcher rush home plate after the pitch has been thrown, [Varitek] has virtually no chance of reaching base. If runners are on when he comes up, we may have the outfielders cover first, second, and third to ensure a double or triple play." Gardenhire added that it doesn't matter if the switch-hitting Varitek bats right- or left-handed, as the shift is foolproof.
and another:

Teammates Fully Support Jonathan Papelbon's Claim That Playoff Loss Was His Fault

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: November 30, 2009, 05:42:26 PM »
Probably would of won it if he didn't get beat badly in the US Open final.

That's a stupid reason. Federer set the mark for most wins in a grand slam event in 2009 what did Jeter accomplish that was even close?

Offline Dexter Morgan

« Reply #16: November 30, 2009, 05:48:59 PM »
That's a stupid reason. Federer set the mark for most wins in a grand slam event in 2009 what did Jeter accomplish that was even close?

Um... win the the most important award a baseball player can win, the World Series.

As well as Hank Aaron Award, Roberto Clemente Award, Silver Slugger Award, and Gold Glove Award.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #17: November 30, 2009, 05:50:29 PM »
Sportsman of the year:  whoever is the face of the Yankees when they win the world series.

Jeter won the draft lottery.

Regardless of your position, let's not fool ourselves that there's any more to it than that.

Offline Dexter Morgan

« Reply #18: November 30, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »
Sportsman of the year:  whoever is the face of the Yankees when they win the world series.

Jeter won the draft lottery.

Regardless of your position, let's not fool ourselves that there's any more to it than that.

So if Derek Jeter didn't put up these numbers (.334 AVG/ .406 OBP/ .465 SLG/ .871 OPS/ 132 OPS+) he still would of won this award simply because he was the captain of the World Series winning Yankees?

Offline blue911

« Reply #19: November 30, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »
Um... win the the most important award a baseball player can win, the World Series.

As well as Hank Aaron Award, Roberto Clemente Award, Silver Slugger Award, and Gold Glove Award.

None of those things are close to what Federer accomplished.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #20: November 30, 2009, 05:55:46 PM »
So if Derek Jeter didn't put these numbers (.334 AVG/ .406 OBP/ .465 SLG/ .871 OPS/ 132+) he still would of won this award simply because he was the captain of the World Series winning Yankees?

No, I'm saying that if he'd put up those numbers on some other team, he wouldn't have won the award.  Whoever the standout player on the WS-winning Yankees would've been.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #21: November 30, 2009, 05:57:38 PM »

Jerry Hairston Jr. won the World Series too, should he be Sportsman of the Year?

And notice all the other stuff you mentioned was a bunch of awards, chosen by the media who love Jeter. Hell, he was a top 3 MVP candidate to many.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22: November 30, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »
No, I'm saying that if he'd put up those numbers on some other team, he wouldn't have won the award.  Whoever the standout player on the WS-winning Yankees would've been.

Except no Yankee has won the award before, including Guidry, Maris, or or any of the 50s or 90s players.

Offline Dexter Morgan

« Reply #23: November 30, 2009, 06:01:44 PM »
Jerry Hairston Jr. won the World Series too, should he be Sportsman of the Year?

And notice all the other stuff you mentioned was a bunch of awards, chosen by the media who love Jeter. Hell, he was a top 3 MVP candidate to many.

Yeah because like Hairston, Jeter played no part of the Yankees winning the World Series...

Offline The Chief

« Reply #24: November 30, 2009, 06:04:21 PM »
Except no Yankee has won the award before, including Guidry, Maris, or or any of the 50s or 90s players.

Times change.  If you don't want to see my point that's fine, but I maintain that anyone could've been the top player on this year's team and that's who would've won the award.