Author Topic: No more Red Lobster....  (Read 1385 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
No more Red Lobster....
« Topic Start: January 28, 2007, 05:49:27 PM »
....for me.  So I'm on vacation in Florida, and stop by a Red Lobster for something to eat.  I knew already I was allergic to lobster and shrimp, but I definetly didn't think I was allergic to clams.  So I order clam chowder, and right after I eat it, I feel strange.  All of a sudden, I feel like I got shot in the chest.  So I ask the waitress where the nearest hospital is.

The pain subsided for the most part in a few hours, but I had to get X-rays, and two of those things where they hook you up to a machine and monitor your heart rate.  When I was a kid, I didn't have shellfish allergies, I guess it developed as I got older.  I had to sit there hooked up to the monitor for around three hours.  Well, at least I got to watch the Suns-Cavs game  :)

Re: No more Red Lobster....
« Reply #1: January 28, 2007, 06:06:49 PM »
Thats certainly more exciting than the Sunday I had.  All I did was sit around my house bored and listening to my next door neighbors have sex.

"UUUuuuugghh, yes! GOD!" is all I hear.

Shellfish allergies are known to be pesky.  They can lay dormant for years while you stuff your face with them and then, out of the blue, you suddenly have a reaction.

Glad your okay.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #2: January 28, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »
Thats certainly more exciting than the Sunday I had.  All I did was sit around my house bored and listening to my next door neighbors have sex.

Jeez, sounds tough :)

AuRevoirExpos

« Reply #3: January 29, 2007, 04:17:41 PM »

NotLD, can't quite work out from this whether you had your ear to the wall all day...or it was simply so loud that you could hear them no matter where you were in the house?

And 2K6Nats, I feel for you.

Vermont and Maine claim to have the most splendid lobster in the USA, though I've disputed this for 20 years or more. Lobster truly is the sea-food from hell.

There was a restaurant called 'The Landing' at Newport, Vermont. It's at the opposite end of Lake Memphremagog from my old holiday stamping ground in the eastern townships of Quebec. Lake Memphremagog by the way has its very own prehistoric monster lurking in the depths, presumably along the same lines as the Loch Ness Monster...Nats A-Ball team 'Vermont Lake Monsters'?? Anyway I was also also stricken by a vicious shell-fish, though not through food-poisoning but as the result of getting a piece of lobster claw stuck half-way down my gullett. 'The Landing' is (or was, if it's still there) one of those places where some sadist emerges from the kitchen and invites you to pick your own preferred live lobster from out of a huge tank as the poor thing innocently swims around, then he removes it from the tank in front of your eyes and presumably 30 seconds later it's thrown into a vat of boiling water. I'd never had lobster before, and certainly never had it since. Anyway I missed a bit of sharp lobster claw and it got stuck in my throat, quite painfully. I needed urgent first aid to get in loose. It was I think either a Friday or a Saturday night so there were probably well over 100 people all watching me choke.

Never again

« Reply #4: January 29, 2007, 10:44:02 PM »
NotLD, can't quite work out from this whether you had your ear to the wall all day...or it was simply so loud that you could hear them no matter where you were in the house?

And 2K6Nats, I feel for you.

Vermont and Maine claim to have the most splendid lobster in the USA, though I've disputed this for 20 years or more. Lobster truly is the sea-food from hell.

There was a restaurant called 'The Landing' at Newport, Vermont. It's at the opposite end of Lake Memphremagog from my old holiday stamping ground in the eastern townships of Quebec. Lake Memphremagog by the way has its very own prehistoric monster lurking in the depths, presumably along the same lines as the Loch Ness Monster...Nats A-Ball team 'Vermont Lake Monsters'?? Anyway I was also also stricken by a vicious shell-fish, though not through food-poisoning but as the result of getting a piece of lobster claw stuck half-way down my gullett. 'The Landing' is (or was, if it's still there) one of those places where some sadist emerges from the kitchen and invites you to pick your own preferred live lobster from out of a huge tank as the poor thing innocently swims around, then he removes it from the tank in front of your eyes and presumably 30 seconds later it's thrown into a vat of boiling water. I'd never had lobster before, and certainly never had it since. Anyway I missed a bit of sharp lobster claw and it got stuck in my throat, quite painfully. I needed urgent first aid to get in loose. It was I think either a Friday or a Saturday night so there were probably well over 100 people all watching me choke.

Never again (Image removed from quote.)

I assure you I didn't have my windows open and my head pressed into a glass against the wall.

They were THAT LOUD.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: January 30, 2007, 04:59:40 PM »
Lobster is reasonably tasty, but a bit overrated.  I'm a Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab guy, fortunately. 

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #6: January 30, 2007, 05:05:32 PM »
Lobster is reasonably tasty, but a bit overrated.  I'm a Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab guy, fortunately. 
If you're into seafood Tom, try the turtle soup!  It's really tasty!   :halo:

« Reply #7: January 30, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »
I love me some fried crab.

Interesting tidbit of info:  Baltimore is known as "Crab City" however a good percentage of their stock actually comes from North Carolina.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #8: January 30, 2007, 07:33:48 PM »

Is there a place for green turtle soup here in the States?  I have turtle steaks when I go to Abaco (The Bahamas), but have never seen them in the US.

In '05 we spent a few days in Annapolis, and I took my daughter out (to Mike's?  Paul's - some place on the river) for cracked crab.  That was a fun meal.

Still, conch is my favorite.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: January 30, 2007, 07:39:58 PM »

Now Sens, you know you shouldn't be commenting on seafood, you're a little out of your comfort zone there.  That would be like me trying to tell you where to find good possum!   :lol:

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #10: January 30, 2007, 07:53:40 PM »
Now Sens, you know you shouldn't be commenting on seafood, you're a little out of your comfort zone there.  That would be like me trying to tell you where to find good possum!   :lol:

I totally whiffed on the implications.

But, in reality, turtle steaks are indeed great!  Next time I'll have to be wearing my WVU cap and see what that adds to the meal.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #11: January 30, 2007, 07:57:19 PM »