Author Topic: Expanded instant-replay coming?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Expanded instant-replay coming?
« Reply #1: June 05, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »
All I want is automatic ball/strike calls- I don't expect it to happen for years, but those calls have a lot more bearing on a game than the occasional fair/foul call

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #2: June 05, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »
freak all of that crap.  If they bring the DH to the NL and all of this horsecrap I'm done with MLB.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #3: June 05, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »
I hope they expand this to all facets of the game but I'd like the strikezone to be able to adjust to hitters body types before they implement it.  I think it should cover everything but balls and strikes at this point.  There's no reason not to have it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #4: June 05, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »
It'll open Pandora's Box if that crap happens. And I'm not talking about the Broward County stripper Berkeley and AtBC used to share with Scott Stapp.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #5: June 05, 2012, 03:55:42 PM »
freak all of that crap.  If they bring the DH to the NL and all of this horsecrap I'm done with MLB.

What would it take to get you to be done with the NFL so we can be rid of you in the football threads? :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #6: June 05, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »
As long as it works, I don't care. 

And what Berkley and AtBC do with their own time is none of my business.  :lol:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #7: June 05, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »
As long as it works, I don't care.

I don't see it working is the problem.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: June 05, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
I could not give a rat's patootie.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #9: June 05, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »
What would it take to get you to be done with the NFL so we can be rid of you in the football threads? :lol:

If Shanahan starts me, errr, starts Wrecks Glassjaw I'll be here until the bitter end.  The second Shanahan and Glassjaw are gone I'll dial down the hate.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #10: June 06, 2012, 07:42:30 AM »
It'll become just like the NFL with the endless delays ('THE PLAY IS BEING REVIEWED!!)...four-hour baseball matches will become the norm.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #11: June 06, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/8011949/new-instant-replay-system-works

Amen. Let's get rid of all these purists that think the "human element" is part of the game. If the average knucklehead at home can see the call from 7 different angles and get the call right, then they guys making money to make the calls should be getting them right.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #12: June 06, 2012, 03:56:49 PM »
It'll become just like the NFL with the endless delays ('THE PLAY IS BEING REVIEWED!!)...four-hour baseball matches will become the norm.

Want to make it interesting? In stadiums with a big tv (like Nats Park), have the umps convene behind the pitcher's mound (or short center) with the 2 managers and communicate with the booth and show the 7 differenat angles right there for everyone. No more having umpires losing their sh$t for 5 minutes on the field. Have Davey throw his 'challenge flag" - meet with Terry Collins and the umps out there on the field and make the right call. Worried about fans going ape - most fans won't go ape if they see the replay and hear a quick explanantion. The NFL guys can explain it to the fans, so, so can Joe West.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #13: June 06, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »
Can you imagine how boring that would make the sport?  Seriously, allowing even one challenge is going to cause more problems than it's werth. 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #14: June 06, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »
Can you imagine how boring that would make the sport?  Seriously, allowing even one challenge is going to cause more problems than it's werth. 

Is it exciting to have Davey Johnson out there kicking dirt on the ump for 3 minutes while the ump pretends to not listen? Fire up the George Michael Sports Machine (TM) and lets watch a replay get the call right and everyone goes back to their positions.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #15: June 06, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »
Is it exciting to have Davey Johnson out there kicking dirt on the ump for 3 minutes while the ump pretends to not listen? Fire up the George Michael Sports Machine (TM) and lets watch a replay get the call right and everyone goes back to their positions.

And what happens if they make a challenge in the third and someone freaks up in the seventh?  Just stew in the dugout?  Either they're all in on the human side and deal with the occasional freakup or they go all in on the automation and turn what most people view as a boring sport into an even more snore inducing game.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: June 06, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »

The technology they're talking about using us what tennis uses, and if they use non field crews to monitor it, it should be instant- faster than watching some geriatric manager haul themselves up and yell at an ump for five minutes

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #17: June 06, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
The technology they're talking about using us what tennis uses, and if they use non field crews to monitor it, it should be instant- faster than watching some geriatric manager haul themselves up and yell at an ump for five minutes

The bird's eye, sure, the problem is we're not just talking about the ball making it over home plate unless everyone is suddenly going to have the same vertical strike zone.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #18: June 06, 2012, 05:40:24 PM »
Right now, they're talking about foul fair calls (in the future, I hope they do standardize the strike zone- by banning midgets, they've already admitted the rule is flexible)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #19: June 06, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »
Fair and foul I've got zero problems with, we see how quickly they make HR call reviews.  I'm actually surprised they haven't installed sensor material to confirm that anyway, my problem is more with attempting to automate the strikezone. 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #20: June 10, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
I'd love to see an automated strike zone. But I think it is still a ways out on the horizon. On the bright side, with Pitch F/X and the old QuesTech, the strike zone is getting better. Better to the point that Cole Hamels complains that they don't squeeze rookies anymore.

As for more instant replay, let's just get the calls right. If it takes an ump in the booth, or at MLB HQ, or just more umps getting help when needed, I'm all for it. As for replays and challenges, it works well enough in the NFL that I am sure that MLB and the players could work something out.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #21: June 10, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »
Automated strikezones will only lead to games becoming 10-9 every night. Do not want.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #22: June 11, 2012, 12:26:12 AM »
Automated strikezones will only lead to games becoming 10-9 every night. Do not want.

I'd like an expanded automatic strike zone.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #23: June 11, 2012, 05:37:24 PM »
Stick a 5th umpire up in the booth watching the replays. No delays, cheap, accurate.

We could call him the empireor  :rimshot:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #24: June 11, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »
Stick a 5th umpire up in the booth watching the replays. No delays, cheap, accurate.

We could call him the empireor  :rimshot:

That's what I'm in favor of.

I hate this "control room in NYC" BS they are going with.