Author Topic: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread  (Read 169085 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread
« Reply #1300: November 05, 2012, 09:49:03 PM »
lets sign grienke and upton

(Image removed from quote.)

fine let's do it.  we'd be better.

i'm all for making us a better team.  isn't that the point of being a fan?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1301: November 05, 2012, 09:51:02 PM »
jca i think it's from nationals.com (ladson)

thanks.  I'm an Espinosa fan, but I think he should be traded to a team that would use him at SS.  I can live with Lombo.  I think his lack of power makes him not very useful offensively, but we can carry one light hitting, good fielding middle infielder, especially when paired with Desi.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1302: November 05, 2012, 09:52:16 PM »
fine let's do it.  we'd be better.

i'm all for making us a better team.  isn't that the point of being a fan?

what if to sign both of them, we had to lock them up to terrible contracts? i'm all for the team improving, but i also don't want to handicap ourselves further down the line when we need to sign Harper and Strasburg. Would rather have Harper in the outfield in 2017 than BJ Upton.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #1303: November 05, 2012, 10:04:39 PM »
what if to sign both of them, we had to lock them up to terrible contracts? i'm all for the team improving, but i also don't want to handicap ourselves further down the line when we need to sign Harper and Strasburg. Would rather have Harper in the outfield in 2017 than BJ Upton.

Agreed.  It seems people on this board will argue LAC until they are relatively blue in the face but let's be honest here, they spent stupid amounts of money on Werth, signed Zimmerman to an extension, traded for and then extended Gio and the true tests of LAC are still to come.

Strasburg and Harper will require historic contracts to retain their services if they continue on their career paths.  Zimmermann and Desmond will require decent money as well.  The LAC argument will sort itself out in due time.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1304: November 05, 2012, 10:08:50 PM »

greinke could get a 5-7 year deal b/c he's been one of the best pitchers in baseball.  he could get expensive, but again he's one of the best.

some people in the industry think upton may get 3-5, nothing north of $60 million.

and of course i'd rather have harper in the OF then (AND NOW), but i'd rather have b.j. upton than roger bernadina.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1305: November 05, 2012, 10:15:17 PM »

still think nats have one of the best teams in baseball, but they have holes they have to fill.

And the dodgers don't?  their pitching staff is entirely dependent on Lily and Capuano being as good as they were last year (which they won't) and finding s #5 starter.  They also have very little pitching depth after trading away allan webster, Nathan Eovaldi, and Rubby De La Rosa so they won't be getting any help from within.  They also lack a decent 2B, C, and 3B or SS (whatever hanley doesn't play). 

The only real thing we need to go after is a #5 starter.  After that we just have to sort out our embarassment of riches at second and maybe go after a stopgap left fielder until Goodwin is ready or we can just plug tyler moore out there.

We are way better off than the dodgers are and are doing it for a crap ton less money.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1306: November 05, 2012, 10:16:25 PM »
greinke could get a 5-7 year deal b/c he's been one of the best pitchers in baseball.  he could get expensive, but again he's one of the best.

some people in the industry think upton may get 3-5, nothing north of $60 million.

and of course i'd rather have harper in the OF then (AND NOW), but i'd rather have b.j. upton than roger bernadina.

in what scenario is roger bernadina our everyday OF (barring injury). tell me

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1307: November 05, 2012, 10:25:16 PM »

in what scenario is roger bernadina our everyday OF (barring injury). tell me

just being hypothetical.  if they don't resign laroche and trade morse. 

but also because the lerners are cheap. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1308: November 05, 2012, 10:25:35 PM »
And the dodgers don't?  their pitching staff is entirely dependent on Lily and Capuano being as good as they were last year (which they won't) and finding s #5 starter.  They also have very little pitching depth after trading away allan webster, Nathan Eovaldi, and Rubby De La Rosa so they won't be getting any help from within.  They also lack a decent 2B, C, and 3B or SS (whatever hanley doesn't play). 

The only real thing we need to go after is a #5 starter.  After that we just have to sort out our embarassment of riches at second and maybe go after a stopgap left fielder until Goodwin is ready or we can just plug tyler moore out there.

We are way better off than the dodgers are and are doing it for a crap ton less money.

yeah because i said the dodgers don't have any holes to fill, right.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1309: November 05, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »
yeah because i said the dodgers don't have any holes to fill, right.

you convienently left out the dodgers holes and pointed out that the nats have some (which aren't really major holes at all).

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1310: November 05, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »
just being hypothetical.  if they don't resign laroche and trade morse. 

but also because the lerners are cheap. 

what are the chances we don't sign laroche, trade morse, and have no other option but bernadina in CF/LF? less than 1%? The second "what if" is basically depending on the opposite of the first happening.

but what if we sign upton, sign grienke, give jordan zimmermann a $200-million contract, trade harper and strasburg and let gio walk in 5 years?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1311: November 05, 2012, 10:33:23 PM »
you convienently left out the dodgers holes and pointed out that the nats have some (which aren't really major holes at all).

THIS IS THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS FAN FORUM

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1312: November 05, 2012, 10:36:29 PM »
what are the chances we don't sign laroche, trade morse, and have no other option but bernadina in CF/LF? less than 1%? The second "what if" is basically depending on the opposite of the first happening.

but what if we sign upton, sign grienke, give jordan zimmermann a $200-million contract, trade harper and strasburg and let gio walk in 5 years?

it'd be stupid to let those guys walk.  but what about all those years the Lerners went on the cheap (lol @ some of our past payrolls) ... are we going to see that money?  the payroll is under $85 mil right now.  20th in the league. 

we have tons of talent and obviously were close to winning it all last year, so let's get some of those pieces we need to put us at the next level.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1313: November 05, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »
THIS IS THE WASHINGTON NATIONALS FAN FORUM

THEN WHY WERE YOU COMPLEMENTING THE ENEMY WHILE POINTING OUT OUR FLAWS?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1314: November 05, 2012, 10:39:26 PM »
it'd be stupid to let those guys walk.  but what about all those years the Lerners went on the cheap (lol @ some of our past payrolls) ... are we going to see that money?  the payroll is under $85 mil right now.  20th in the league. 

we have tons of talent and obviously were close to winning it all last year, so let's get some of those pieces we need to put us at the next level.

we'd also be stupid to let laroche walk AND trade morse, which means that we'd have to be incredibly stupid to have roger bernadina as our starting OF, which is my point. saying IF WE DONT DO WHAT I WANT WE'RE GOING TO HAVE [INSERT TERRIBLE COMPLETELY UNREALISTIC DOOMSDAY SCENARIO] HAPPEN is absurd

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1315: November 05, 2012, 10:46:01 PM »
THEN WHY WERE YOU COMPLEMENTING THE ENEMY WHILE POINTING OUT OUR FLAWS?

i was piggybacking PB69's post about the Dodgers getting Corrales.  We noted that they are willing to spend a lot and this year they could really be a dangerous team.  I'm not ready to say they will be better than us, but I'm interested in how the offseason plays out.

And UMD, apparently the team could be willing to wait for Brian Goodwin and listen to offers about Morse.  What happens if they balk at LaRoche's asking price?

I'm just saying it's Lerner, if history has been any indication, he's been cheap in a lot of ways.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1316: November 05, 2012, 10:48:23 PM »
John Heyman thinks that laroche will get 4 years.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1317: November 05, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »
John Heyman thinks that laroche will get 4 years.

and apparently we're not willing to go over 2.  not saying it's wise/stupid, just from what the early "reports" are saying.

i'm all good with tyler moore playing more.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1319: November 05, 2012, 10:55:17 PM »
Why has Davey not been re-signed yet?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1320: November 06, 2012, 04:52:49 AM »

Why has Davey not been re-signed yet?

Money and Lerners desire not to participate with it

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1321: November 06, 2012, 06:43:55 AM »
Money and Lerners desire not to part with it

Yep, imagine if the Yanks (or Redskins) went a month of the offseason without having their manager signed? The media would be camping out at team HQ. How do we expect to sign free agents with our top spot uncertain? Sure Davey will probably re-sign, but there is a reason he hasn't and every day that he doesn't is another day closer to Rizzo having to interview other candidates.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #1322: November 06, 2012, 08:10:44 AM »

2013 dodgers vs 2013 nats

who do you like, rosters right now

Nats no question. Get your swagger up people.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1323: November 06, 2012, 08:48:22 AM »

2013 dodgers vs 2013 nats

who do you like, rosters right now

Obviously the Nats are the better team right now, I brought up the Dodgers because they just positioned themselves to get better at our expense, not in 2013 because our top prospects are protected, but over the course of the next few years whenever we have to expose a prospect we'll have to keep in mind that the Dodgers have the same knowledge of our farm system that we do. Not that big of a deal, same thing worked for us when we signed Rizzo, it's just something our FO will need to be aware of.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #1324: November 06, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
Money and Lerners desire not to participate with it