Author Topic: The Kimnat Needs A Handyman Thread  (Read 3962 times)

Offline kimnat

The Kimnat Needs A Handyman Thread
« Topic Start: January 30, 2007, 01:23:22 PM »
Ok, this is extremely OT.  But our heat pump is crappin' out.  It's apparently 10+ years and the compressor is shot.  Coils are clogged and filthy (we're dumb and didn't know about having them cleaned).  Anyway, it's apparently going to cost close to 3k to repair and 3-5k to replace.  Anyone have any contacts in the HVAC business in the NOVA area who could help us get a really good deal.  Needless to say, there ain't any extra dough lyin' around these parts after what we've just gone through.  After one jam, there's another waiting for us.  If you don't have any suggestions, pray hard for this one for us.  Shoot, pray even if you do have any thoughts.

AuRevoirExpos

Re: Need creative ideas for heat pump
« Reply #1: January 30, 2007, 03:26:07 PM »
Kim, it has to be said that if you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no sort of luck at all. Especially at this time of year that's going to be quite a problem for you. I don't know what to say, except I'll certainly pray hard for you and hope that somebody on the board can offer you some help. Don't know what's available to you in the US, but in England there are all sorts of grants that you would qualify for in order to get something like that fixed and paid for by the state, especially if children are involved and it's assessed that their health maybe at risk during periods of cold weather. The UK Government even give ALL British pensioners up to ?300 ($500) as a tax-free hand out every winter to assist with their heating requirements.

Anyway, keep safe, and keep warm!! 

Offline kimnat

« Reply #2: January 30, 2007, 04:22:55 PM »
Kim, it has to be said that if you didn't have bad luck, you'd have no sort of luck at all. Especially at this time of year that's going to be quite a problem for you. I don't know what to say, except I'll certainly pray hard for you and hope that somebody on the board can offer you some help.

LOL  Did you know that my dad has told me that for years!  If feels so true!  Oh well.  This too shall pass and we'll be ok.  Two years ago, we had to replace our water main as there was a leak someplace along it in our 1/4 acre sized front yard.  That was $3000.  This will be the same or more.  Likely about $2000 more.  I'm thinking refi!  Then the windows need to be replaced.  And I haven't even had the electrical lines checked yet.  Something's up w/ them.  But yes, you're right.  I need to find Eeorye and firmly attach the little dark cloud to him!  I'm ready to pass along this bad luck  to some other unlikely fellow.  :D

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: January 31, 2007, 09:29:13 AM »
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=heat%20pump

do any of these fill your needs?  some dont seem applicable, but two of them sound like they are for homes.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #4: January 31, 2007, 01:00:15 PM »
I didn't know they have that on CL! I check that thing out every day!  That thought never occurred to me!  Ok, just checked it out and that's the part that would go in the attic.  The part I really need is the outdoor part w/ the compressor.  But still an excellent thought!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #5: January 31, 2007, 01:25:55 PM »

Offline kimnat

« Reply #6: February 01, 2007, 07:11:07 PM »
LOLOL Those are hysterical!  The top is the ultimate in redneck:  If you have a home that is mobile and a car that is not, you might be a redneck!  Not only is the van immobile, it's also heating the mobile home!  I love it!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #7: February 02, 2007, 07:11:48 AM »
Ok, this is extremely OT.  But our heat pump is crappin' out.  It's apparently 10+ years and the compressor is shot.  Coils are clogged and filthy (we're dumb and didn't know about having them cleaned).  Anyway, it's apparently going to cost close to 3k to repair and 3-5k to replace.  Anyone have any contacts in the HVAC business in the NOVA area who could help us get a really good deal.  Needless to say, there ain't any extra dough lyin' around these parts after what we've just gone through.  After one jam, there's another waiting for us.  If you don't have any suggestions, pray hard for this one for us.  Shoot, pray even if you do have any thoughts.

Davis Ford Heating and Air Conditioning helped me out!  Usually prices were about the same as someone else I had do it.  The difference was, Davis Ford Heating and Air Conditioning sends a person who works on the things to talk to you.    FH Furr sent me a salesman (essentially).  I rather talk to someone who knows the product from experience of working on them than some high pressure salesman.  The salesman may try to sell you one of a higher capacity than you really need.

Anyhow, that's my experience.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #8: February 02, 2007, 09:10:56 AM »
Furr sent out their sales guy yesterday.  And actually, the system we bought is roughly the same size, but not overkill.  Shoulda talked to you sooner.  But this one will work.  It'll be more efficient than our old one, that's the good part.   And we decided to refi to deal w/ the costs plus other bills and house stuff we need to do.  Thanks!

nospinzone1

« Reply #9: February 02, 2007, 03:51:15 PM »

KIMSIE BABIE: The only thing I can think of at this moment is to consult on the net and go to consumers checkbook to see their recommendations for plumbers. Another thing is to check with the local consumer affairs office for complaints about the company you choose. I am going to research my feeble 70 year old mind to see if I can come up with anything else.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #10: February 02, 2007, 06:14:43 PM »
Thanks Nospin.  Appreciate your help.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #11: February 03, 2007, 12:45:24 AM »
I went to school with one of the Dwyer's but didn't know him that well.  They've had a good reputation.
Dwyer Plumbing has been in Alexandria for four generations, in one form or other.
http://www.dwyerplumbing.com/

Offline kimnat

« Reply #12: February 05, 2007, 10:18:51 PM »
Ok, got the heat pump and now we're toasty warm. Next issue,  anyone know a good contractor who can convert a screened in porch (formerly a carport) into a year round room.  We're doin' the refi thing and want to know if this is a feasibility (we can get some windows for free from a room a friend is tearing down).  Wondering if an 18x14 can be done for under 10k, already have a room and concrete slab floor, as well as 6 4x4 posts.

nospinzone1

« Reply #13: February 06, 2007, 06:19:11 AM »
Ok, got the heat pump and now we're toasty warm. Next issue,  anyone know a good contractor who can convert a screened in porch (formerly a carport) into a year round room.  We're doin' the refi thing and want to know if this is a feasibility (we can get some windows for free from a room a friend is tearing down).  Wondering if an 18x14 can be done for under 10k, already have a room and concrete slab floor, as well as 6 4x4 posts.

DONT FORGET BEFORE YOU HIRE ONE TO CHECK CONSUMER AFFAIRS OFFICES OF DIFFERENT LOCALITIES. CHECK FOR COMPLAINTS.

Offline kimnat

Re: The Kimnat Needs A Handyman Thread
« Reply #14: February 06, 2007, 08:49:29 AM »
ok, you guys are funny!  Yes, I need a lot of stuff over here.  My hubby is a little challenged in this dept., so it's up to me.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!  By the way, heat pump is working so great, I'm not wanting to leave my house!

NSZ, Your counsel is appreciated.  I'll remember to do that!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #15: February 06, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »
...Next issue...convert a screened in porch (formerly a carport) into a year round room.
If the enclosed portion is primarily for your hound dogs, this might do the trick:

You can also use that immobile-furnace to create an inexpensive porch. 
Just add a couple of lawn chairs.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #16: February 06, 2007, 01:08:06 PM »
You are so bad!!  Where do you find these pictures?  They're hilarious!

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #17: February 06, 2007, 03:34:51 PM »
Of course, if you're planning to use the enclosed porch for timeouts,
you'd need more room for a proper time-out.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #18: February 06, 2007, 03:48:41 PM »
You are so bad!!  Where do you find these pictures?  They're hilarious!

Easy, he just puts in a call to the right people... LOL

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #19: February 06, 2007, 04:06:54 PM »
Easy, he just puts in a call to the right people... LOL
For that cell phone to work, (and to pickup 5,000 TV and radio stations),
you need just a few satellites:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #20: February 06, 2007, 05:22:23 PM »
aw geez!  you're too much!  So, n2p, are you handy w/ a hammer at all?  I'll be calling in for you to come enclose my porch!  :D

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #21: February 06, 2007, 05:32:18 PM »
So, n2p, are you handy w/ a hammer at all?...
Hammer doesn't enclose porches...but he might dance on one:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #22: February 06, 2007, 05:34:36 PM »
You guys are such clowns :lol:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #24: February 11, 2007, 09:38:14 PM »
aww kim, i wish i would have seen this sooner... my dad is an HVAC guy... he would have given you a good deal! not charged you an arm and a leg...