Poll

Who would you rather keep?

Adam LaRoche
68 (60.7%)
Michael Morse
44 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Author Topic: Morse or LaRoche  (Read 51961 times)

Offline Mattionals

Re: Morse or LaRoche
« Reply #175: November 01, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
In what way? I REALLY like Werth as a leadoff hitter but I wonder what your reasoning is. I've seen articles suggesting the Nats sign Bourn as a leadoff hitter and I just have to  :smh:

Werth has been a lead off hitter for all of four months of his career.  Bourn has been a leadoff hitter his ENTIRE career.  Bourn is considered to be more of the "prototypical" lead-off hitter.  He doesn't hit for much power, but has a quick bat and can get on base at a high percentage.  The perfect formula for a "prototypical" leadoff guy is to have a guy who sees a lot of pitches, has good speed on the basepaths so he can steal bases or leg out a hit, and gets on base any way possible.  This is the "ideal" lead off guy.

What we are now seeing though, and it is present in Werth, is a guy who sees lots of pitches, has above average but not elite speed, but also has decent power too.  Trout is probably the best leadoff hitter in the game.  His plate discipline is pretty good, and he is a very good bad ball hitter.  Instead of just taking tons of pitches, he also puts pitches in play at a good rate.  He has good power at the plate as well, and this goes to the idea of how often does the "leadoff" hitter actually lead an inning off.  Bourn is also on the wrong side of 30 and his tremendous speed is the biggest part of his game.  His stellar defense is due to him having blazing speed to get to lots of balls.  As he ages, he will start to slow up, and this will turn him into a much worse player.  Chone Figgins from LA to Seattle comes to mind as a leadoff type with good speed who degraded into a player who strikes out too much (Bourn already does this) and loses his spark on the bases.

I think Bourn will get paid by a team like Philly who has no one in the organization that could fill the role for years to come.  He will lead off and have maybe one or two good years out of a likely 5 year deal.  The Nats by that point should have Brian Goodwin up who is touted as being a superior player with less base stealing speed.

I don't think any outfielder not named Justin Upton should be pursued by the Nats this offseason as the internal candidates probably far outweigh the risk involved in any FA or unknown.