Author Topic: Cubs ARE Imploding  (Read 6516 times)

Cubs ARE Imploding
« Topic Start: June 01, 2007, 04:36:19 PM »
I love the Nats.  I am so thankful.
===========================

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070601&content_id=1998747&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Tensions boil over in Cubs' dugout
Pitcher Zambrano, catcher Barrett have to be separated
By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano and catcher Michael Barrett had to be separated after a skirmish in the dugout after the fifth inning Friday.

The Atlanta Braves had just scored five runs in the inning, including one on an error by Barrett. After the Cubs players came off the field, Zambrano confronted Barrett in the dugout, pointed to his head, and then took a swing at the catcher.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella and hitting coach Gerald Perry had to separate the two.

Zambrano was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the fifth, and Barrett was replaced defensively in the sixth by Koyie Hill.

It's been a tough week for Barrett, who made several mistakes in Sunday's game in Los Angeles, and was picked off second base on Tuesday in Chicago against the Florida Marlins. Piniella had given Barrett a "mental health" day off Wednesday.

Henry Blanco has been Zambrano's catcher lately, but he was placed on the disabled list Friday because of a herniated disc.

The Braves had taken a 2-0 lead by taking advantage of sloppy play by the Cubs. Atlanta sent nine batters to the plate in the fifth, and opened a 7-1 lead. Zambrano was charged with seven runs, six earned, on 13 hits and two walks over five innings.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Cubs Nearing Implosion
« Reply #1: June 01, 2007, 04:49:32 PM »
Barrett's got a pretty good right hook.  Kind of amusing, isn't it?  I'm shocked, stunned that the acquisition of Soriano hasn't put that team over the top.  Also, wonder how sweet Lou feels now about his decision to manage in Chicago? 

natsfan1a

« Reply #2: June 01, 2007, 04:55:32 PM »
We saw a funny t-shirt when we went to a game at Wrigley last year. It pictured Barrett's swing at Pierzynski with the caption, "South Side Smackdown. Who says the Cubs Can't Hit?"

Offline PC

« Reply #3: June 01, 2007, 06:21:15 PM »
Yes and Lou Piniella picked the Cubs over the Nationals.  :roll:

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #4: June 01, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »
Yes and Lou Piniella picked the Cubs over the Nationals.  :roll:

Thank goodness. Lou is a buffoon, Hendry sent himself to the hospital with his overspending, and the Trib is a mess of an ownership group. It is amazing how poor management can get away with so much when so many are willing to blame problems on some crazy curse.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #5: June 01, 2007, 11:00:24 PM »
ROFLMAO.  This is just classic...couldn't happen to a better club.   :lol:

Zambrano, Barrett will face discipline
06/01/2007 7:15 PM ET
:arrow: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20070601&content_id=1998747&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

CHICAGO -- Cubs pitcher Carlos Zambrano and catcher Michael Barrett will be disciplined Saturday after the two had to be separated following a skirmish in the dugout in the fifth inning Friday.

The Atlanta Braves had just scored five runs in the inning, including one after a combination passed ball and throwing error by Barrett. After the Cubs players came off the field, Zambrano confronted Barrett in the dugout, pointed to his head, and then took a swing at the catcher. His palm was open, and he slapped Barrett.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella and hitting coach Gerald Perry, as well as some of the players, had to separate the two.

Zambrano was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the fifth, and Barrett was supposed to stay in the game. But he had gone into the clubhouse and got into another fight with Zambrano there. Barrett was replaced defensively in the sixth by Koyie Hill.

Cubs officials said Barrett was taken to a local hospital. His lip was cut from the clubhouse fight.

It's been a tough week for Barrett, who made several mistakes in Sunday's game in Los Angeles, and was picked off second base on Tuesday in Chicago against the Florida Marlins. Piniella had given Barrett a "mental health" day off Wednesday.

Henry Blanco has been Zambrano's catcher lately, but he was placed on the disabled list Friday because of a herniated disc.

"As an organization, we're very disappointed about the incident today between Michael and Carlos," Cubs assistant general manager Randy Bush said. "They're two highly competitive and caring individuals who put a lot into the game. Frustrations boil over. It can happen. Those of us who have been in the game have seen it happen before.

"We're disappointed, very disappointed," Bush said. "I think it shows the level of frustration among the players, the coaches, the manager. We're not playing as well as we thought we would at this point."

Piniella will handle the disciplinary action, Bush said. If the Cubs manager decides to fine the players, that will be dealt with by team management.

The Braves had taken a 2-0 lead by taking advantage of sloppy play by the Cubs. Atlanta sent nine batters to the plate in the fifth, and opened a 7-1 lead. Zambrano was charged with seven runs, six earned, on 13 hits and two walks over five innings. Atlanta won, 8-5, to hand the Cubs a season-high fifth straight loss. They're now 22-30.

"A lot of the players have expressed they're pressing, they've said that publicly, and a lot of that is probably trying to do too much for the fans here at home," Bush said. "We're disappointed. Lou will address it [Saturday] with the players."

Bush said it isn't the first time he's seen players fight. That doesn't make it right.

"It's unacceptable," Bush said. "Absolutely, it's unacceptable. You never like to see teammates get into it like this."

Offline PC

« Reply #6: June 01, 2007, 11:07:13 PM »
...but Alfonso is still counting his money.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #7: June 01, 2007, 11:14:16 PM »
...but Alfonso is still counting his money.
all the better...he's fleecing them and they still suck.  Perfect.  :pimp:

« Reply #8: June 01, 2007, 11:42:25 PM »
I was the only person in the world that said last year was a joke year for ($0)rian0 and he would completely suck this year, even in the confines of Wrigley.  22-30.  I thought his Majesty left to go to a "winning team." Ha!  Karma strikes again.

It is strange.  I really have no reason to dislike the Cubs (except for their whiny fans) but watching them fail year after year and implode like they are doing now after signing such high priced players and a new manager is just...delicious.

Offline PC

« Reply #9: June 02, 2007, 01:05:34 PM »
Zambrano and Barrett talked to the press today and Barrett definitely got the worst of whatever happened in the clubhouse, as his busted lip and blackeye would indicate!

natsfan1a

« Reply #10: June 02, 2007, 02:33:54 PM »
I feel sorry for the catcher they brought up from Triple A. He probably wonders what the heck kind of club he was brought into.

joker

« Reply #11: June 02, 2007, 03:54:44 PM »
lou just got thrown out

« Reply #12: June 02, 2007, 04:08:48 PM »
Piniella earns first ejection with Cubs
Veteran skipper tossed for the 60th time in his career

CHICAGO -- Cubs manager Lou Piniella was ejected Saturday in the eighth inning for arguing a call at third base, his first of the season and 60th of his career.

Angel Pagan doubled to lead off the Cubs eighth against Atlanta pitcher Rafael Soriano. Pagan tried to get to third on a passed ball charged to Braves catcher Jason Saltalamacchia, but he recovered in time to throw Pagan out at third.

Piniella disagreed, and ran out to argue. He threw his cap, and got nose to nose with third base umpire Mark Wegner, yelling. Piniella kicked some dirt on Wegner's shoes, and home plate umpire Bruce Froemming stepped between the two.

Piniella got in a couple more kicks, booting his cap twice into shallow left.

On Friday, Piniella was asked about Atlanta manager Bobby Cox, who has been tossed 130 times. Does getting ejected help a team win?

"If that were the case, I'd volunteer for that every day," Piniella said Friday. "Does a manager really have to be tossed to light a fire for somebody? I don't think so.

"If there's something out there that's really flagrant, yeah, you go out there and argue for your team," he said. "We haven't had that many calls one way or another. One series with the umpires, as far as home plate, we weren't happy with and we reacted a little bit. I don't see where a manager has to get kicked out of ballgames."

That doesn't mean Piniella has mellowed.

"I'm sure I'll get kicked out of here soon," he said.

Little did he know how soon.

« Reply #13: June 02, 2007, 04:14:09 PM »
They have begun to eat each other on the Cubs MLB Message Board.  They are only a one or two losses away from having a worse record than the Nats.

Some of my favorite recent quotes from their own fans off that board:

"85% of people in wrigley field on any given day are not cub fans. they're wrigley field fans who can't get enough $6 old styles"

this team is dead. again 40000 idiots sitting at the game , wasting their time and money on public execution of a so called professional baseball team. 99 years my friends, lets keep going to the games and to the cubs convention and cheering on the 7th inning stretch and watching the bleacher dorks get drunk and paying 30.00 to park your car and hoping ernie banks will sign my jockstrap.

I try to have amnesia every season. And no, it doesn't work.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: June 02, 2007, 04:32:27 PM »
Zambrano and Barrett talked to the press today and Barrett definitely got the worst of whatever happened in the clubhouse, as his busted lip and blackeye would indicate!

Considering Zambrano went into the clubhouse to shower, and Barrett followed him in looking for trouble, he got what he deserved.  Maybe Barrett's better when he gets a chance to sucker punch his adversary, a la A.J. Pierzynski (sp?)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #15: June 02, 2007, 05:11:29 PM »
At least Pinella's tirades are fun to watch.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #16: June 02, 2007, 06:24:43 PM »

"Help Me, I'm Losing My Job!"

"Your Team Sucks!"          "I know it, DAMN YOU!"

natsfan1a

Re: Cubs ARE Imploding
« Reply #17: June 02, 2007, 10:38:59 PM »
I do believe the ump could taste what Lou had for lunch.

« Reply #18: June 02, 2007, 10:51:46 PM »
It looks like two grown men acting like a pair of six year olds experimenting with a French kiss.

By the way, thanks for the title change whoever did it.  I was very close to doing it myself.  :P :D

Offline Dave B

« Reply #19: June 02, 2007, 11:23:20 PM »

pic please

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #20: June 03, 2007, 12:23:41 AM »
pic please
none available...at least not yet.  I've looked.   :lol:

natsfan1a

« Reply #21: June 03, 2007, 01:07:07 PM »
Link to video of press conference with Zambrano, Barrett, and Piniella. Both parties seem rather chastened.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070602zambranovideo,1,352152.htmlstory?coll=cs-home-headlines

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #22: June 03, 2007, 06:07:53 PM »
Link to video of press conference with Zambrano, Barrett, and Piniella. Both parties seem rather chastened.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070602zambranovideo,1,352152.htmlstory?coll=cs-home-headlines
Is it me or does this look like one of those Iraqi POW videos after one of our pilots were downed.  You can just picture somebody behind the camera with a gun.   :lol:

And as "apologetic" as they say they are...Lou still acknowledges there is a problem and said "it will be resolved either tonight or in the series in Milwaukee".  Sounds like they are still pissed at one another to me.   :icon_mrgreen:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #23: June 03, 2007, 07:35:44 PM »
Funny, our record is technically worse than their's and they're behaving WAY under us.  They really need to grow up!!  Makes me really appreciate our guys.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #24: June 03, 2007, 09:04:29 PM »
Laugh... watching the Cubs go through this crap is like watching a train wreck!   :lol:

Piniella Suspended Indefinately
Length of Piniella's suspension to be determined by MLB on Monday
Updated: June 3, 2007, 6:41 PM ET
Associated Press
LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891897

CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs manager Lou Piniella was suspended indefinitely and fined an undisclosed amount by Major League Baseball on Sunday for his latest dirt-kicking tirade against an umpire.

Piniella was ejected in the eighth inning of Saturday's 5-3 loss to the Atlanta Braves.

After Angel Pagan was thrown out trying to steal third on a pitch that bounced away from the catcher, Piniella stormed out of the dugout and kicked dirt as he argued and tossed his cap, leading to his ouster by third-base umpire Mark Wegner.

MLB also said Piniella made contact with Wegner during the outburst -- which Piniella denied.

Piniella began serving his suspension Sunday. The length of Piniella's suspension will be determined Monday after a meeting with John McHale Jr., the MLB executive vice president for administration.

"I wasn't expecting anything until the early part of the week," said Piniella, who has been known to kick dirt and toss bases since he started managing in 1986.

He planned to watch Sunday's game from his office, with bench coach Alan Trammell managing the team during the suspension.

Piniella's outburst came one day after catcher Michael Barrett and pitcher Carlos Zambrano fought in the dugout and clubhouse, leaving Barrett with a cut on his lower lip that required six stitches at a hospital and a bruise below his left eye.

The Cubs had lost six straight entering Sunday's series finale against the Braves, but the frustration that had been percolating this season.

"It all starts with playing bad baseball," general manager Jim Hendry said. "When you play as poorly as we have now for a few weeks time, a lot of frustration sets in because you do have a lot of guys that care and a lot of guys that expect to win. Nobody's anything but extremely disappointed, frustrated with where we're at."

The same fundamental lapses that marked the past few seasons under former manager Dusty Baker are plaguing the Cubs even after their offseason overhaul.

They hired Piniella. They committed $300 million to retain and sign players, adding free-agent prize Alfonso Soriano. But the results are all too familiar for a franchise that last won a championship in 1908 and has not been to the World Series since 1945.

A team that thought it was a playoff contender after winning 66 games last year entered Sunday's game at 22-31.

Piniella says he and management are on the same page, but this clearly has been a difficult season for him. His frustration seems to grow with every mistake on the bases and on defense -- and there have been plenty lately.

There was a 9-4 loss to Florida on Tuesday in which Mark DeRosa got thrown out trying to go to third on a grounder to short and Michael Barrett got picked off second. A day later, they lost 9-0.

And after an off day on Thursday, things took a turn for the worse. Besides the altercation between Zambrano and Barrett, the Cubs committed several mistakes on defense in an 8-5 loss to Atlanta.

Hendry said the fight is "a fixable situation. It happened, it's over."