Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Alex Meyer, RHP  (Read 21287 times)

Offline GNatsNoMore

Follow the Prospects: Alex Meyer, RHP
« Topic Start: August 31, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »
i think you just did. :)

OK, I guess I did.  :lol:  So I better contribute something.

From Fangraphs 2011 Draft Scouting Report:

"Possessing arguably the highest ceiling of any player in this year’s draft, Kentucky right-hander Alex Meyer shouldn’t last long come draft day.

Standing 6’9″, 220 pounds, Meyer is an imposing figure on the mound. Throw in the fact that he features a fastball that can reach the upper 90s and a nasty, fall-off-the-table slider, and it’s easy to envision Meyer anchoring a big-league rotation down the road.

When it comes right down to it, I don’t envy the scouting directors picking in the 6-12 range who will have to make the call on Meyer. He has the size and stuff to be an absolute force in a big-league rotation, and he’s made encouraging strides over the last three years, but he’s still raw. While he could be great, you can see him as the type of pitcher who’s lack of command forces a move to the pen. While his fastball-slider combination could make him a shutdown closer, in this highly regarded a draft class, you’re probably looking for more value out of a top-10 pick. "

Interesting Facts:

•   He’s friends with John Wall
•   He just stopped growing this year
•   He’ll be the third tallest pitcher in franchise history
•   He “recently completed his junior season as the SEC leader in strikeouts (110), going 7-5 with a 2.94 ERA. He held opponents to a .222 batting average and posted 10 quality starts in 14 chances.” (see http://www.kentucky.com/2011/06/07/1766058/nationals-take-kentuckys-meyer.html#ixzz1WfFDA8cU)
•   Meyer pitched his best in May 2011.  He had a 1.61 ERA. SEC batters hit .210 against him and had a .297 on-base percentage in May.
•   Meyer finished his junior campaign as the SEC leader in strikeouts , innings pitched per game (7.21), complete games and complete-game shutouts. Meyer ranked second in the SEC in innings pitched and second in strikeouts per game (with almost 10)
•   Meyer still needs to work on his release point (and command).