Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84676 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #225: February 28, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »
Better bat, less glove but close. More advanced if healthy. @notrizzo: how does Rendon compare in development to Zim in '05? #Nationals
:shock:

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #226: February 28, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »
:shock:

That's what I'm saying! I think Rendon could really fly through the system.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #227: February 28, 2012, 01:51:19 PM »
The Post article today raves about both his bat and his hands defensively.  Apparently the plan is to have him play exclusively 3B this year at either Potomac or Harrisburg, even though he will get reps at 2d and SS this spring.  He says he is comfortable at 2d and played SS in high school (like a lot of guys, I suppose).

One question I'd like others views on is whether they should force feed him SS.  Can he handle it?  Will his body get too bulky for the position?   It is the most important defensive position besides catcher, but with strong 3d and second basemen around him, I wonder if we could get by if the bat is as good as they say it is.

I had heard the knock on his bat was power, but Porter raves about him and his ability to square up and generate backspin.  If he does bulk up a bit, then that would push him to 2d, I suppose. 

RD may have hit on the easiest way to get him to the majors.  I just would love to get the bat at a premium defensive position if we could and save the corner outfield position or first for a bopper with a lesser glove.

Since the link may disappear in few months, here are a few excerpts:
there is more, but the post blocks longer excerpts.

You don't have to be unusally strong to hit home runs. Henry Aaron and Frank Robinson were not hulksters, but, like Ted Wiliams ("The Splendid Splinter") they hit for distance because they met the ball perfectly again and again.

If Rendon's swing is as good as the Post reported, then he's just right.

I'll repeat: by August 15, I want Rendon at 2B, Espinmosa at SS, Desmond as backup 2B, SS, and 3B. Oh and I want to see the Nats in this year's World Series.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #228: February 28, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »
I'll repeat: by August 15, I want Rendon at 2B, Espinmosa at SS, Desmond as backup 2B, SS, and 3B. Oh and I want to see the Nats in this year's World Series.
The latter point most of all.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #229: February 28, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
I thought we lose a season of Rendon if he comes up this year. Is this true?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #230: February 28, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »

who bats leadoff in that scenario?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #231: February 28, 2012, 03:31:30 PM »
Werth?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #232: February 28, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »
Rob Neyer had a post on SB Nation also giving Rendon props, but he goes in depth, saying if Zimmerman is going to stay at 3B ... NOW is the time to convert Rendon to 2B/SS (he thinks 2B will be his landing spot, as do I). 

His argument is that Rendon could be ready by 2013, so it's better to get him going on a new position now, because he's so close.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #233: February 28, 2012, 03:38:26 PM »
who bats leadoff in that scenario?

Rendon. I sense that the guy will hit over .300 consistently...say, typical season of .325 with 20 or 25 homeruns. It can't hurt to lead off with a base-hit.

And I just don't see anybody else who ought to lead off. Werth has patience, but he struck out 160 times last year. Espinosa seems less patient, less mature, and also struck out 160 times. Desmond? No.

Strictly by batting eye, I might have Ramos lead off. Better a walk or a hit, even from a guy who can't steal second, than a strikeout.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #234: February 28, 2012, 03:51:52 PM »
Rendon. I sense that the guy will hit over .300 consistently...say, typical season of .325 with 20 or 25 homeruns. It can't hurt to lead off with a base-hit.

:rofl:

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #236: February 28, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »
@jimcallisBA
Better bat, less glove but close. More advanced if healthy. @notrizzo: how does Rendon compare in development to Zim in '05? #Nationals

:shock:, indeed.

That's not faint praise.  Zimmerman hit .336 .377 .564 in the minors then .397 .419 .569 during his September call up.

If the organization agrees with that assessment, in the words of Lou Brown, "Get him a uniform".

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #237: February 28, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
I'm still holding out that Lombardozzi will be a decent hitter and we can play him at second base. Rendon in LF or at 1B.

Good call. I wouldn't mind him taking over LF if Morse keeps it up.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #238: February 28, 2012, 05:00:22 PM »
Good call. I wouldn't mind him taking over LF if Morse keeps it up.

Either that or we trade Morse and Zimmerman moves over to first. But thats well in to the future. I'd like to milk Morse for a couple more seasons, if we can

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #239: February 28, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
i was all for moving rendon to corner OF b/c his bat plays anywhere, but honestly, with all the glowing reports on his defense ... you can't move him out of the IF, imo.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #240: February 28, 2012, 05:04:32 PM »
I'm actually pretty cool with Zimmerman moving to first base. He's such a good defender that he can adjust anywhere, and we all know his glove is phenomenal. I'm cool with Rendon moving there, too. Either way, I think they find a way to keep both around and productive, should Rendon force the issue.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #241: February 28, 2012, 05:24:02 PM »
I'm actually pretty cool with Zimmerman moving to first base. He's such a good defender that he can adjust anywhere, and we all know his glove is phenomenal. I'm cool with Rendon moving there, too. Either way, I think they find a way to keep both around and productive, should Rendon force the issue.

Zimmerman has been one of the top 3 defensive 3B in the game since his debut.  Arguably the best over that time.

You...don't...move...that...kind...of...defensive ...value...to...first...base.  Period.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #242: February 28, 2012, 05:34:08 PM »
You don't have to be unusally strong to hit home runs. Henry Aaron and Frank Robinson were not hulksters, but, like Ted Wiliams ("The Splendid Splinter") they hit for distance because they met the ball perfectly again and again.

If Rendon's swing is as good as the Post reported, then he's just right.

I'll repeat: by August 15, I want Rendon at 2B, Espinosa at SS, Desmond as backup 2B, SS, and 3B. Oh and I want to see the Nats in this year's World Series.

That sounds like a great plan, as long as Davey can work with Rendon on his footwork for 2B to minimize his injury risk defensively, and feels confident with his progress.  Three potential gold glovers  :az:, if the assessment in the Post article is accurate, who can hit for power.  I just don't see how the alternative some people are suggesting, Zman to 1B and Rendon at 3B, can work in the short or medium term.  I don't think Zman wants to or needs to move to first anytime soon, and we will probably keep Morse for at least 2 more years (presumably at 1B some or most of that time).  It's early, but it's starting to look like it's a no-brainer that Rendon will/should force his way onto the big club by the beginning of next year, if not sooner.  I hope they put him at 2B in the minors to get him ready, not third as the article said.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #243: February 28, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »
Zimmerman has been one of the top 3 defensive 3B in the game since his debut.  Arguably the best over that time.

You...don't...move...that...kind...of...defensive ...value...to...first...base.  Period.

It's not something I'm saying we should do now, should push, or even should do ever, but if it became an option, I'd consider it and test it out, but obviously he's more valuable as a 3B than a first baseman. I don't think he wants to move and I think Rendon moving is 100% more likely.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #244: February 28, 2012, 05:57:08 PM »

It's not something I'm saying we should do now, should push, or even should do ever, but if it became an option, I'd consider it and test it out, but obviously he's more valuable as a 3B than a first baseman. I don't think he wants to move and I think Rendon moving is 100% more likely.

Ok, well said.

Zimm at 3B, Rendon at 2B, Espinosa at SS, Desmond being the utility IF'er...

Does anyone here dislike that idea ?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #245: February 28, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »
Ok, well said.

Zimm at 3B, Rendon at 2B, Espinosa at SS, Desmond being the utility IF'er...

Does anyone here dislike that idea ?

I like the idea. I also like Zim-Espy-Rendon-Morse with Lombardozzi as the utility.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #246: February 28, 2012, 06:00:53 PM »
First or LF for Rendon. Whichever Morse doesn't want to play.

Lombo is good defensively. If he can hit .265 or better, its worth having him at second. That gives us gold glove caliber defense  at all infield positions except for first. (maybe even at first with Rendon there). Plus, all of them can hit.

Offline Nick the Pig

« Reply #247: February 28, 2012, 06:05:43 PM »
I like the idea. I also like Zim-Espy-Rendon-Morse with Lombardozzi as the utility.

I like that, too.

Morse appears to be a lot more comfortable (not to mention competent) at 1B as opposed to LF.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #248: February 28, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »

I think Desmond/Lombo could be the utility infielders when Rendon is ready (and assuming Desmond doesn't keep his job).

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #249: February 28, 2012, 08:01:37 PM »
1B would get his bat to the majors the quickest.

If they decide Morse is too expensive to re-sign after his current deal is up and they're confident in Desmond/Lombo/Espinosa holding down SS and 2B, then maybe he could fit well at 1B.  It would minimize his exposure to injury.  Having a mashing 1B on the cheap might open up some opportunities to spend on other positions like another free agent pitcher or finally getting that white whale in center field.

If Harper can play CF, then maybe they can put Rendon in LF?