Author Topic: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch  (Read 72434 times)

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Well - I'd cost less than Maya.  They could give me a couple of million and I'll give it a go.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Even if the Nats do sign Purke, they can't announce it till a few days before the deadline anyways.

The league hates when teams announce well over slot deals early.

Offline HalfSmokes

Playing in the Cape if confident in his stuff is the best way to maximize his value. But I do think something can be said for getting multiple looks at him in bullpens and medical evals. If he's healthy and has the velocity back up, even in the pen,  there's some level of confidence that he'll be good to go.

Maybe for third round money, but if he still wants early first round money, I'm thinking he's heading back to school

Offline RD

He'll still get upwards of $3mill if he shows well in bullpens. Even withthe velo down, the production was there. If its back and medical reports come back well, he's good IMO.

He won't get $6mill but I could see $3mill, in that area.

Offline HalfSmokes

He'll still get upwards of $3mill if he shows well in bullpens. Even withthe velo down, the production was there. If its back and medical reports come back well, he's good IMO.

He won't get $6mill but I could see $3mill, in that area.

which could be a problem if he wants $6 million- he's already turned down $4 million once

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
keep in mind that Purke is a draft eligible sophomore. That means unlike most top picks out of college, he has two more chances at the draft

Offline RD

Yeah, he's got leverage in that regard.

But he's also a pitcher that had a down year because of an injury. Carrying that tag could be troublesome going forward. If he has any type of issue next year, his stock plummets.

While Boras isn't afraid to take the gamble on returning to school, if purke has any doubts or concerns, he could say get a deal done.

Offline RD

Not to mention the possibility of hard slotting coming up.

He'd have to go top 5 to get that $3mill most likely.

With any type of questions, he won't be taken there, and he will have to settle for less.

Offline HalfSmokes

Hard slotting will never happen- it's in no one's interest

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Might have lost a couple guys today.

NFA_Brian

@keithlaw Hawtin Buchanan & Josh Laxer enrolled in classes at Ole Miss. Unsignable now? http://bit.ly/kFwA7z

Offline Glockypoo

Might have lost a couple guys today.

Not entirely positive about the way the rule reads but we can still sign them, ala Zach Lee with the Dodgers/LSU.

Offline NFA Brian

Not entirely positive about the way the rule reads but we can still sign them, ala Zach Lee with the Dodgers/LSU.

I am trying to get a read on that. If they have actually attended a class, I wonder if they are now considered college players and therefore ineligible to be signed

Offline NFA Brian

Jim Callis from BA says they are still eligible to sign. They cannot play in any of the summer showcase leagues but are still signable

Offline blue911

Jim Callis from BA says they are still eligible to sign. They cannot play in any of the summer showcase leagues but are still signable

Can they still be signed because the aren't enrolling for the fall semester?

Offline NFA Brian

Can they still be signed because the aren't enrolling for the fall semester?

Enrolling/attending class has nothing to do with signing. The deadline is August 15, that's the only thing that matters

Offline DPMOmaha

Enrolling/attending class has nothing to do with signing. The deadline is August 15, that's the only thing that matters
Exactly, you're going to see Bubba Starling do the exact same thing in the next week or two at Nebraska.  It's the start of the fall semester that matters, I believe, which at most schools is after the signing deadline anyway.

Offline blue911

Thanks.

Offline RD

Its summer school, so that's why it's not an issue. At least that's my understanding.

Once you attend a class in the fall you're done. But I would think the deadline is before most schools start anyway.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Since it is Ole Miss, it's not like they are enrolled in a real college.  UVa - different story.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Since it is Ole Miss, it's not like they are enrolled in a real college.  UVa - different story.

:lmao:

Offline GMUTrkstar

Can anyone post a summary about what Goldstein says about the Nats draft: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=14417

Offline NFA Brian

Can anyone post a summary about what Goldstein says about the Nats draft: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=14417

Same stuff we've seen elsewhere. High upside and high cost first four picks

Likes Turnbull, Skole, & Williams

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Its summer school, so that's why it's not an issue. At least that's my understanding.

Once you attend a class in the fall you're done. But I would think the deadline is before most schools start anyway.
First day of classes was the old rule... The rule now is August 15th is the last day to sign, no other facts change that deadline. No more first day of classes, no more "draft and follows".

Offline GMUTrkstar

Same stuff we've seen elsewhere. High upside and high cost first four picks

Likes Turnbull, Skole, & Williams

Thanks Brian...

Offline houston-nat

Draft picks signed-not signed so far:
Rounds 1-30: 16-15
Rounds 31-50: 6-14
Overall.........: 22-29

Not so bad, I'd say, for a month after the draft and not even halfway to the deadline. Especially strong record in rounds 5-29 (16-9) as expected: those were mostly (with exceptions like Buchanan) the signability guys.