Author Topic: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch  (Read 72393 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

I choose to give credit where credit is due. The money they've spent on drafting is good. They money spent on the major league payroll is not. One has nothing to do with the other.

agree to  disagree, to me x dollars spent on the draft is no different than x dollars spent on international signings, free agents, arbitration, or resigning players

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I'm on the less cynical side of this. I think the Lerners believed Bowden when he said he could field a competitive team on the cheap. Between Bowden and the snake oil salesman Kasten, I feel they got an assload of bad advice. Of course, they chose to follow that bad advice so they're culpable and ultimately responsible for this team losing more games in three years than any other team in the history of the world. That situation was inexcusable and they're responsible for that.

But I'm hopeful they've learned and will spend on payroll when the time comes. I'm not so concerned with payroll now, but when it comes time to extend Zim, Zim2, Strasburg, Harper, etc., that's when they'll really have to pony up.  Can only wait and see at this point.

When push comes to shove, I hope they prove people wrong.

Great post!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
agree to  disagree, to me x dollars spent on the draft is no different than x dollars spent on international signings, free agents, arbitration, or resigning players

Except that NONE of the those free agents have the same talent potential as Strasburg, Harper, Rendon, etc., Those are guys that CHANGE a team from pretender to contender. If the Lerners are choosing now to only spend money on one area and not the other, while it doesn't excuse the putrid product we endured for years, I am happy they chose to spend it on the draft. Now, when these players get to the bigs and need to be extended to stay, to me that's where they need to pony up and spend big on the MLB payroll. I hope they'll do it.

At least that's the way I see it.

Offline hammondsnats

Great post!

:lmao:

too funny sometimes.  8)

Offline hammondsnats

I'm on the less cynical side of this. I think the Lerners believed Bowden when he said he could field a competitive team on the cheap. Between Bowden and the snake oil salesman Kasten, I feel they got an assload of bad advice. Of course, they chose to follow that bad advice so they're culpable and ultimately responsible for this team losing more games in three years than any other team in the history of the world. That situation was inexcusable and they're responsible for that.

But I'm hopeful they've learned and will spend on payroll when the time comes. I'm not so concerned with payroll now, but when it comes time to extend Zim, Zim2, Strasburg, Harper, etc., that's when they'll really have to pony up.  Can only wait and see at this point.

When push comes to shove, I hope they prove people wrong.

agree to disagree. 

they should be extending our core guys but at the same time looking to improve by going outside the system.  it was a nice start with werth (despite his poor offensive numbers this year), but we need more moves. 

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
agree to disagree.  

they should be extending our core guys but at the same time looking to improve by going outside the system.  it was a nice start with werth (despite his poor offensive numbers this year), but we need more moves.  

Agreed. I guess I'm looking at it from a value for dollars perspective. Spending $15 million on Strasburg is significantly more valuable with significantly more long term upside than spending $15 million on a reliever.

Also, F/A have to actually want to come here, right? Outside of Werth, we've had way more players turn us down than say yes to coming here over the years. I think you have to get good first before you attract top talent. But how do you get good without top talent?  It's a classic Catch 22 IMO.  May be the only way to do it and be consistently good for a long time is through the draft. I'm not necessarily opposed to that strategy long term.

But again, that doesn't excuse completely ignoring the MLB product for those years, that was intellectually lazy and really, just inexcusable. I'm hoping those days are long behind us now.

Offline hammondsnats

Agreed. I guess I'm looking at it from a value for dollars perspective. Spending $15 million on Strasburg is significantly more valuable with significantly more long term upside than spending $15 million on a reliever.

Also, F/A have to actually want to come here, right? Outside of Werth, we've had way more players turn us down than say yes to coming here over the years. I think you have to get good first before you attract top talent. But how do you get good without top talent?  It's a classic Catch 22 IMO.  May be the only way to do it and be consistently good for a long time is through the draft. I'm not necessarily opposed to that strategy long term.

But again, that doesn't excuse completely ignoring the MLB product for those years, that was intellectually lazy and really, just inexcusable. I'm hoping those days are long behind us now.

and we've also low balled plenty of potential free agents with offers, while contenders pay the good price. 

i'm sorry but the rays sucked for 10 years and have been lucky the drafts have worked out for them (again 10 years later) ... we should have a healthy balance of spending on free agents and farm system.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
and we've also low balled plenty of potential free agents with offers, while contenders pay the good price. 

i'm sorry but the rays sucked for 10 years and have been lucky the drafts have worked out for them (again 10 years later) ... we should have a healthy balance of spending on free agents and farm system.

Yup we agree

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
agree to  disagree, to me x dollars spent on the draft is no different than x dollars spent on international signings, free agents, arbitration, or resigning players

Most teams don't function like this.  THey budget certain amounts for each of those areas.  Some teams spend tons on the draft and ignore international free agents.  Some teams ignore both.  Some teams spend tons on both.  It's as much organizational philosophy as it is willingness to spend.

Offline HalfSmokes

Most teams don't function like this.  THey budget certain amounts for each of those areas.  Some teams spend tons on the draft and ignore international free agents.  Some teams ignore both.  Some teams spend tons on both.  It's as much organizational philosophy as it is willingness to spend.

but there still is a total budget- I don't see why we should laud the lerners for shifting 10 million from the current roster to the draft

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Maybe not lauded but another owner might have just pocketed that $10 million.  It's a good thing that the Nats are spending on the draft.  They have been and are still lacking in other areas but that's another matter.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Maybe not lauded but another owner might have just pocketed that $10 million. 

Nah, they'd put it to the MLB payroll... like every other team seems to do.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline HTT

To get back on topic: MLB.com is reporting that 32nd rounder Billy Burns has signed. 

It is also listing we signed RHP Scott Williams and free agent RHP John Peters.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Why is there another freaking LAC/LANC war on a draft discussion?

Offline GNatsNoMore

Update from Kilgore:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/nationals-draft-update-a-waiting-game-at-the-top-and-bryce-harpers-brother-almost-ready-to-go/2011/07/22/gIQANE97TI_blog.html

Highlights of the article:

•   Scouting director Kline says the Nats believe Purke is "fully healthy".
•   The top four picks will go down to the last minute (as expected), but Kline seems optimistic about signing them.
•   Hawtin Buchanan is too expensive for an 18th round pick for the Nats,  so he will go to the Univ. of Mississippi
•   The Nats are close to signing Bryan Harper, Bryce's big brother.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Purke signing situation, if you consider these comments plus the fact he's already been to Nats Park for a visit.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
To get back on topic: MLB.com is reporting that 32nd rounder Billy Burns has signed. 

It is also listing we signed RHP Scott Williams and free agent RHP John Peters.
I wonder if he's related to Tom Peters.

Offline HTT

Looks like Peters is from Augustana College (IL).  Here is an article about him signing: http://www.augustana.edu/x35938.xml

Williams is from Wisconsin-Stevens Point. 
http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2011/7/21/BSB_0721110231.aspx

Offline sportsfan882

Update from Kilgore:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/nationals-draft-update-a-waiting-game-at-the-top-and-bryce-harpers-brother-almost-ready-to-go/2011/07/22/gIQANE97TI_blog.html

Highlights of the article:

•   Scouting director Kline says the Nats believe Purke is "fully healthy".
•   The top four picks will go down to the last minute (as expected), but Kline seems optimistic about signing them.
•   Hawtin Buchanan is too expensive for an 18th round pick for the Nats,  so he will go to the Univ. of Mississippi
•   The Nats are close to signing Bryan Harper, Bryce's big brother.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Purke signing situation, if you consider these comments plus the fact he's already been to Nats Park for a visit.
Buchanan too expensive?! Then why'd they draft him?!

Offline RD

Buchanan too expensive?! Then why'd they draft him?!

Because you never know. Most thought AJ Cole and Robbie Ray wanted too much money as well.

Anyway, what the article states is that he's too expensive for where he's at. Meaning, he's too raw for the money he wants. By calling him a summer follow, I take that as they drafted him, and would keep tabs on him following the draft, so see where he's at. And they decided that he's too raw to invest a massive amount of money in.

And I would tend to agree. It's hard for kids at 6'8 to be coordinated enough to be able to repeat mechanics. Look at Alex Meyer - He was way behind the curve until he hit 21. Most of the guys that you see in the bigs that are that big, went to college, allowing them to develop and refine their craft before hitting the professional level. Guys like Chris Young, Jon Rauch, Randy Johnson, Jeff Niemann ... It could be too much too soon for an 18 year told to deal with life on their own, pro baseball, and still developing physically.

Offline RD

I wonder where Kylin Turnbull is at? Seems like the forgotten man. Not a part of that great crop of our first four, but not one of the signed guys either.

Offline GNatsNoMore

I wonder where Kylin Turnbull is at? Seems like the forgotten man. Not a part of that great crop of our first four, but not one of the signed guys either.
I was wondering the same thing, since Kilgore says "The Nationals have effectively finished signing their draft class outside of the top picks", and then goes on to discuss the top four picks.  It may have just been an oversight by Kilgore, since the main focus is now on the top four.  But you could also infer from the article that the Nats aren't pursuing Turnbull at this point. 

Offline sportsfan882

They have to sign Turnbull and the other 4

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
They have to sign Turnbull and the other 4

For a second I thought that said Tartabull, like Danny Tartabull.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tartada01.shtml

Offline HalfSmokes

Bauer signed by d backs for 7 million according to MLB trade rumors- the gate is open, can we please announce some overslot signings now