Author Topic: Nationals @ Cubs, Game 1  (Read 22670 times)

Offline MDoyle

• UMW 2010
Re: Nationals @ Cubs, Game 1
« Reply #25: August 22, 2008, 02:48:09 PM »
I'd laugh if he is behind the plate tomorrow when Perez pitches.

Nah he'll be at first tomorrow.  Umpires rotate clockwise each day.  I wish Perez was pitching Sunday when Hernandez will be working the plate though.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #26: August 22, 2008, 02:50:04 PM »
The ball just screams out of Strasburg's hand.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #27: August 22, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
Nah he'll be at first tomorrow.  Umpires rotate clockwise each day.  I wish Perez was pitching Sunday when Hernandez will be working the plate though.

Doesn't the first base ump usually call balks? 

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #28: August 22, 2008, 03:02:03 PM »
Doesn't the first base ump usually call balks? 

Yes, I think that's true. I laugh maniacally.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #29: August 22, 2008, 03:09:14 PM »
The curve he's feature today looks decent. He may not have had his best stuff today but from the looks of it, he can throw it for strikes.

That was actually his slider. It's more north-to-south than most.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #30: August 22, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »
That was actually his slider. It's more north-to-south than most.

I've never seen a slider break that much. Plus it was clocked at under 80 so it had to be a curve ball.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #31: August 22, 2008, 03:16:13 PM »
I've never seen a slider break that much. Plus it was clocked at under 80 so it had to be a curve ball.

Maybe I saw different pitches. His slider definitely cuts (and is in the high 80s), but it dips a bit, too.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #32: August 22, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »
They should be playing soon, looks like the sun is back out in Chicago:

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/illinois/chicago/wrigleyfield/

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #33: August 22, 2008, 03:21:55 PM »
lol it'd be interesting if perez and flores pulled that trick on hernandez that some HS players did.... fastball up, catcher drops his mitt, hits the ump straight in the helmet.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #34: August 22, 2008, 03:23:16 PM »
They are showing the game on WGN too. I may flip back and forth between that and MASN to hear a little from both sides.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #35: August 22, 2008, 03:23:23 PM »
Since I have the option, I will give the Cubs announcers a listen today.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #36: August 22, 2008, 03:25:12 PM »
Can anyone say Wily Mo:

CHICAGO -- Nationals manager Manny Acta gave right fielder Austin Kearns and catcher Jesus Flores the day off on Friday afternoon against the Cubs because the team is playing a day game after a night game.
Of the two players, the team is most concerned about Kearns, because he has stiffness in his right elbow -- the same elbow which was operated on last May to remove loose bodies.

Kearns is known as a person who never complains about injuries, so it's now up to Acta to monitor the situation. Since being activated from the disabled list, Kearns is hitting .245 with three home runs and 15 RBIs.
http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080822&content_id=3349134&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #37: August 22, 2008, 03:27:21 PM »
ESPN outside the lines is pretty funny now- the little runt that Danny Almonte struck out in the little league WS to end it got drafted in the fourth by the Cubs- Almonte's been released by an independent league team and went undrafted.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #38: August 22, 2008, 03:28:20 PM »
ESPN outside the lines is pretty funny now- the little runt that Danny Almonte struck out in the little league WS to end it got drafted in the fourth by the Cubs- Almonte's been released by an independent league team and went undrafted.

I saw the story on ESPN E-Ticket.  Matt Cerda, right?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #39: August 22, 2008, 03:28:41 PM »
yea

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #40: August 22, 2008, 03:29:39 PM »
Anyone see the headline on Sportsline.com today?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #41: August 22, 2008, 03:30:50 PM »
:rofl:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #42: August 22, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
freak, can't throw his curve ball.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #43: August 22, 2008, 03:31:53 PM »
We're a real hard target - way to get creative. What was the pitch for this story 'the last place team sucks' 'run with it'

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #44: August 22, 2008, 03:33:29 PM »
Since I have the option, I will give the Cubs announcers a listen today.

You're better off with Charlie and Dave. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #45: August 22, 2008, 03:34:22 PM »
Here were some interesting quotes from that article:

Combine that with the on-pace-for 56-106 final record (granted, the Nats have had their share of injuries this year but, still), the awful television ratings and embarrassingly low attendance (even with the new ballpark, the Nationals still rank 12th in the NL and 19th in the majors), and the Former Wards of the MLB Estate don't appear much better off than they were in Montreal.

And in some ways, perhaps, worse off. Unsolicited, one coach for a major league team approached me earlier this season and wondered when I had last seen the Nationals. Why? Because he wanted to compare notes, he was so disgusted with the way the Nationals conducted themselves, casually walking on and off the field, among other things.

"That's the worst I've ever seen," the coach said.

The Nationals, according to multiple sources, are habitually late in paying their bills on matters ranging from road trips (hotels, reimbursements to players for their expenses) to other matters (Their scouts often have had to wait four and five months for their expenses to be paid, though one source said this week that that's finally been sorted out and mostly corrected.)

"They're late on all their payments -- all of their payments," one industry source says. "People hate dealing with them. All aspects of what they do.

"They've got problems. Big problems."

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #46: August 22, 2008, 03:34:59 PM »
Ron Santo SUCKS.  With all of his "wow" and "oooohhhh MAN" going on in the background it sounds like he's masturbating in the booth.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #47: August 22, 2008, 03:36:31 PM »
Interesting.  I know the Nationals asked the scheduling committee not to give them day games at home during the weekday.  I think it was because the Metro was (and still is) unable to handle the influx of game attendees that would use the system during the work day.  Any idea why they wouldn't be able to play the games at night?  Is there some other team(s) that also uses Wrigley?

EDIT:  nevermind, found it this on Wikipedia:

The truth of the matter is, the Cubs have to petition the Chicago City Council to play more night games. 

In the late 70s and early 80s, when the Chicago Tribune Company acquired controlling interest in the Cubs, they started making noise about installing lights.  The Wrigley family had run the Cubs more like a hobby, and had really never seriously considered installing lights.  Residents of the Lakeview Neighborhood in Chicago, where Wrigley Field is located, formed a group to oppose the installation of lights at Wrigley -- "Citizens United for Baseball in the Sunshine" or CUBS.  The Chicago City Council passed an ordinance prohibiting nighttime outdoor athletic events at facilities that exceeded a certain capacity (thus allowing high school and college sports to mostly go on unabated) and exempting the White Sox and Bears home stadiums through a grandfather clause. The whole 2:20 and 3:00 start times came from those days -- the Cubs brass scheduled games as late as possible to attract more of the business and potential night-time crowd, while getting in enough baseball before the sun set.

So when the Cubs originally got night ball, it was for an extremely limited number of games to appease the neighborhood residents.  They have gradually gotten more and more of them. 

And here's hoping the Nats do some major Ass kicking this weekend.  Lordy, Lordy!  I do hate those Scrubs!  If the Cubs were playing the Taliban, I'd have a hat on with a "T" on it!  Go Nats! 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #48: August 22, 2008, 03:36:35 PM »
freakin awful. Can't stand that crap.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #49: August 22, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
Ron Santo SUCKS.  With all of his "wow" and "oooohhhh MAN" going on in the background it sounds like he's masturbating in the booth.

Santo is the biggest tool in MLB.