Author Topic: Does anybody remember...  (Read 1532 times)

Offline PC

Does anybody remember...
« Topic Start: February 02, 2013, 11:35:02 PM »
...a cola from the 70's or 80's. The bottles were short and round is all I can remember about them, plastic bottles.

I don't believe they were on the market for very long.   They also didn't taste very good.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Does anybody remember...
« Reply #1: February 03, 2013, 12:11:02 AM »
i thought the first post in this thread would be "laughter"

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2: February 03, 2013, 07:36:25 AM »
...a cola from the 70's or 80's. The bottles were short and round is all I can remember about them, plastic bottles.

I don't believe they were on the market for very long.   They also didn't taste very good.

New Coke? Pepsi Clear? Jolt cola?

Offline PC

« Reply #3: February 03, 2013, 09:31:03 AM »
New Coke? Pepsi Clear? Jolt cola?

No.  It wasn't Coke or Pepsi. It was a small brand.

And STUBBIE!  That's what the bottle type was called and it was glass not plastic.  I remember distinctly (remembering as a child) that it was shaped like a beer bottle at the time.  And the bottle type is relevant because I don't believe the brand was around long enough to have another bottle type.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: February 03, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
Jolt cola?

Jolt was my guess.  All the calories, and twice the caffeine of your regular cola!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #5: February 03, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
They still have them in some grocery stores.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #6: February 03, 2013, 12:42:22 PM »
Where ?

They still have them in some grocery stores.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #7: February 03, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #9: February 04, 2013, 12:36:19 AM »
No.  It wasn't Coke or Pepsi. It was a small brand.

And STUBBIE!  That's what the bottle type was called and it was glass not plastic.  I remember distinctly (remembering as a child) that it was shaped like a beer bottle at the time.  And the bottle type is relevant because I don't believe the brand was around long enough to have another bottle type.

see if anything here jogs your memory:

http://www.gono.com/museum2003/museum%20collect%20info/earlydaysofsoda/earlydaysofsodapop.htm

I remember 30 years ago drinking Snapple's line of clear sodas - no food coloring so every soda was crystal clear.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #10: February 04, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
Jolt was my guess.  All the calories, and twice the caffeine of your regular cola!

Used to use real sugar the first few years as well, but unfortunately 'got with the programme' and switched to corn syrup like the others.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #11: February 04, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
RC Cola?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #12: February 04, 2013, 10:47:56 AM »
Where ?

They sell small bottles of coke and 7up in most grocery stores. Appeals to mothers making lunches for their kids.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #13: April 30, 2013, 04:19:13 PM »
Chose to bump this and (since the title was generic and fits) turn this into a thread where we look back at simple things, cool things, things that made us happy, things we can't find anymore - like the soda, but keep it going.

- Playing catch -

my kids have no interest in throwing with me, and there are no other adults in my neighborhood that I feel comfortable walking up to and asking if they want to throw. And I never see kids in my neighborhood playing catch.
When I was a kid me and my best friend would throw back and forth if we had nothing else to do. anytime of year, anytime of day as long as it was sun out. Just throw, and talk. better than sitting and talking.

I miss playing Catch

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #14: April 30, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »
I miss playing Catch
Oh man. I never outgrew playing catch. I'd go to my little brother and ask, or my friends, and nobody ever wanted to play catch.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #15: April 30, 2013, 04:23:27 PM »
Chose to bump this and (since the title was generic and fits) turn this into a thread where we look back at simple things, cool things, things that made us happy, things we can't find anymore - like the soda, but keep it going.

- Playing catch -

my kids have no interest in throwing with me, and there are no other adults in my neighborhood that I feel comfortable walking up to and asking if they want to throw. And I never see kids in my neighborhood playing catch.
When I was a kid me and my best friend would throw back and forth if we had nothing else to do. anytime of year, anytime of day as long as it was sun out. Just throw, and talk. better than sitting and talking.

I miss playing Catch

I'm well north of 60.   When the neighborhood kids play catch (baseball, football, etc.), I'm out there with them.   They love the high flies (baseball) and long football passes I throw.   I don't tell 'em I have a torn rotator.   Gotta play hurt.   :)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #16: May 01, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »

- Playing catch -

I miss playing Catch
I throw with my 1 son almost every day. The other one, not nearly as much.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #17: May 01, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »
I miss "Slime", especially "Slime with Worms"

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #18: May 01, 2013, 04:05:26 PM »

- Playing catch -

I miss playing Catch

Who needs someone to play catch with?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #19: May 01, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »
But only about a half dozen of us really remember that reference. :)
i thought the first post in this thread would be "laughter"

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #20: May 01, 2013, 06:49:12 PM »
Used to play it all the time with the boy. Now he took my glove and plays it at college with his girl.

Also, he plays a good drunken college sport they call slur-ball. Basically wiffle ball with a duct taped ball, but you drink at every base.

- Playing catch -

I miss playing Catch

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #21: May 01, 2013, 06:49:50 PM »
...dialing only seven numbers if it wasn't long distance?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #22: May 01, 2013, 06:49:51 PM »
I can't wait to be able to play catch with my oldest,  she can throw (kind of),  but not catch.  She does scream 'baseball baseball'  any time she sees a small ball,  so that's a good start

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #23: May 01, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »
...dialing only seven numbers if it wasn't long distance?

Having the first two numbers referred to by their letter key  ...   i.e.   MI3-3912.    Loved the party line thingy too.    Life was so much simpler with just Morse code.   :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #24: May 01, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
Was always suburban, never had those exchanges. But I always heard them in commercials. :)
Having the first two numbers referred to by their letter key  ...   i.e.   MI3-3912.    Loved the party line thingy too.    Life was so much simpler with just Morse code.   :)