Author Topic: The Race for Rookie of the Year: NL Edition  (Read 2171 times)

Offline UMDNats

The Race for Rookie of the Year: NL Edition
« Topic Start: July 09, 2006, 03:01:56 PM »
Bold means leads rookies

Top 3 Batting Candidates

Ryan Zimmerman (Washington):

.287 avg, 25 doubles, 12 HRs, 59 RBIs, 7 SB, .324 RISP avg.

Prince Fielder (Milwaukee):

.265 avg, 20 doubles, 16 HRs, 46 RBIs, 5 SB, .244 RISP avg.

Dan Uggla (Florida):
.307 avg, 15 doubles, 13 HRs, 51 RBIs, 5 SB, .325 RISP avg.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #1: July 09, 2006, 03:11:11 PM »
I heard that Zimmerman got Rookie of the first half by ESPN?   8)

Nationals93

« Reply #2: July 09, 2006, 03:37:59 PM »
I want ryan zimmerman to win no doubt, but for some strange reason I see dan uggla winning it from florida for p.r. reasons. Please dont ask me why, b/c I dont know just a bad feeling.  :lol:

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #3: July 09, 2006, 04:09:39 PM »
Yes, I truly think that Uggla will win bcuz of his All-Star season, even though Zimmerman is having the better season.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #4: July 10, 2006, 11:57:08 AM »
Quote from: "Nationals93"
I want ryan zimmerman to win no doubt, but for some strange reason I see dan uggla winning it from florida for p.r. reasons. Please dont ask me why, b/c I dont know just a bad feeling.  :lol:

PR?  There is no PR in Florida.  But every vote from Florida does count twice.

ncg1983

« Reply #5: July 10, 2006, 12:29:38 PM »
There are still roughly 80 games left.  I would bet that Zimmerman will win.  It would be pretty cool for DC to have 2 Rookies of the Year in the same year.  That sure doesn't happen too often.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6: July 10, 2006, 12:39:07 PM »
lets see how the rest of the year plays out.  remember how ryan church was going to be ROY

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #7: July 12, 2006, 03:35:59 PM »
Dan Uggla I believe has the inside track on ROY. He's putting up excellent numbers with a team that has quite a few rookies and almost as many cast offs. Plus Dan Uggla was a Rule 5 pick, that in itself makes his numbers even more outstanding. Yes, RZ was in college last year, and unless he can up his BA, and continue to drive in the runs, Dan Uggla should be the National League Rookie of the Year.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #8: July 12, 2006, 04:27:08 PM »
Dan Uggla is 26 years old. That is too old to be a rookie. He is the Hideo Nomo of the modern age. I think for rookie of the year voting they should look at where the players might be in 10 years. Being a rule V pick makes a guy a charity case not a heart warming story of a guy no one thought could make it. Uggla also plays at the weakest position in the majors. At the All-Star game they put a third baseman at 2nd instead of putting in Uggla. Zimmerman is better defensively and has already proven that he can come through in the clutch. Plus Zimmerman is the face of the franchise. Uggla can never be that as long as Willis and Cabera are there. Uggla also isn't even the best rookie on the team, Josh Johnson is a more important to the Marlins future success.

Offline natsfan7

• I am the Nationals number seventh fan!
« Reply #9: July 12, 2006, 05:40:12 PM »
If Zimm can finish with .290, 20 homers and 100 RBI's he'll win for sure.....He has the best glove of them all as well..

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: July 12, 2006, 05:53:19 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Dan Uggla I believe has the inside track on ROY. He's putting up excellent numbers with a team that has quite a few rookies and almost as many cast offs. Plus Dan Uggla was a Rule 5 pick, that in itself makes his numbers even more outstanding. Yes, RZ was in college last year, and unless he can up his BA, and continue to drive in the runs, Dan Uggla should be the National League Rookie of the Year.

I like Uggla a lot, but when they played here recently, he looked somewhat slow and awkward in the field.  I haven't seen him play much, admitedly, but based on the two games I saw, he's an average fielder at best.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #11: July 12, 2006, 06:13:01 PM »
Quote from: "Evolution33"
Dan Uggla is 26 years old. That is too old to be a rookie. He is the Hideo Nomo of the modern age. I think for rookie of the year voting they should look at where the players might be in 10 years. Being a rule V pick makes a guy a charity case not a heart warming story of a guy no one thought could make it. Uggla also plays at the weakest position in the majors. At the All-Star game they put a third baseman at 2nd instead of putting in Uggla. Zimmerman is better defensively and has already proven that he can come through in the clutch. Plus Zimmerman is the face of the franchise. Uggla can never be that as long as Willis and Cabera are there. Uggla also isn't even the best rookie on the team, Josh Johnson is a more important to the Marlins future success.

I may be biased but I support Zimmerman as the ROY. I blieve his numbers will get even better while Uggla may have a little drop off but your suggestion that 2B is the weakest position in baseball is incorrect. If that were the case Soriano would never have been moved to a 'more difficult position'. In fact, 2B is the third most difficult position in baseball.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: July 12, 2006, 08:43:29 PM »
Quote from: "spidernat"

I may be biased but I support Zimmerman as the ROY. I blieve his numbers will get even better while Uggla may have a little drop off but your suggestion that 2B is the weakest position in baseball is incorrect. If that were the case Soriano would never have been moved to a 'more difficult position'. In fact, 2B is the third most difficult position in baseball.

I think you missed his point.  I took his comment to mean that at present, 2nd base is a thin position in the NL.  THat is, there aren't many good ones playing today, hence Uggla looking good by comparison.

Maybe Baerga should make a comeback??

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #13: July 13, 2006, 10:28:03 AM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

I like Uggla a lot, but when they played here recently, he looked somewhat slow and awkward in the field.  I haven't seen him play much, admitedly, but based on the two games I saw, he's an average fielder at best.

Uggla is a now above average in the field, but has come a long way in a short time.  I would have rated him a solid "poor" at the beginning of the year.  The Marlins IF coach, Perry Hill, is widely regarded as the best in the game, and I'm sure that will continue to develop him.  Uggla's been playing with a pulled hamstring since late June, and that has hampered his mobility.  That may be why he appeared sluggish.

In South Florida, though, the belief is that if Josh Johnson upholds his first half numbers, that he'll have a better chance than Uggla.  Also, since his injury, Uggla's numbers have been slowly but steadily declining, with no HR in his last 43 ABs.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #14: July 13, 2006, 11:30:09 AM »
Josh Johnson isn't listed on ESPN as a rookie under stats. I couldn't get his sortables when i made it only rookies.

UPDATED 6/13

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #15: July 13, 2006, 03:24:26 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"
Josh Johnson isn't listed on ESPN as a rookie under stats. I couldn't get his sortables when i made it only rookies.

UPDATED 6/13

Here is a link to his stats on Yahoo

He doesn't qualify for lowest ERA in the NL right now because of a lack of IP - he is one out short.  Otherwise he'd be leading by 0.44.

He moved from the pen to the rotation on May 4, and has a 1.93 ERA as a starter (2.21 overall).   He worse outings as a starter are 2 ER in 5 IP, which he's done 3 times.  He has 8 quality starts, the 3 games of 2 ER in 5.0 IP, and one 1 ER in 5.2 IP in his 12 starts.   At the moment, he is arguably a better rookie pitcher than the rest are rookie hitters.  But it's gotta be tough for a rookie pitcher to hold up those kind of numbers through September.