Author Topic: "Holiday Road" - The Official Vacation Thread  (Read 147734 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I think it is likely a very freak coincidence of a mass mailing, as it asks the USPS to deliver between 6/2 and 6/7... 

I'll know if I get another brochure in a few days...

I'm really focused on the Danube River tour.  My wife, while born in Frankfurt, spent 3 years living in Nuremburg...the last city on the route...

My buddy spoke highly of the Rhine tour (he's a WWII buff).      However, I think Amsterdam was the draw for him.    :P     His step-mother lives in Switzerland so they spent time there after the cruise.

Danube looks pretty cool as well.    As a history guy myself, Nuremburg would be worth the visit.    Lots of WWII history in the "neighborhood".

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
The section of the Rhine just upstream from Koblenz ("Rhine gorge") is pretty spectacular.  And that river runs fast as hell.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Very strange...

I requested a Viking River Cruises brochure online last night while this thread was going on about my post. 

There was a brochure in my mailbox before noon today...complete with my name and customer number...   :shrug:

Many thanks to all for your help...  :thumbs:

I took advantage of the supposed "Buy by June 30th and get half-off" rate...and the extra $300 off coupon that came with the brochure.

My wife and I fly out of Dulles and will be touring the Danube from Budapest to Nuremburg in May, 2015 on the Viking longship, the "VAR":

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/ships/viking-var/videos.html#video/viking-experience

We'll spend our 31st wedding anniversary in Vienna (not VA)...

Online HalfSmokes

Many thanks to all for your help...  :thumbs:

I took advantage of the supposed "Buy by June 30th and get half-off" rate...and the extra $300 off coupon that came with the brochure.

My wife and I fly out of Dulles and will be touring the Danube from Budapest to Nuremburg in May, 2015 on the Viking longship, the "VAR":

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/ships/viking-var/videos.html#video/viking-experience

We'll spend our 31st wedding anniversary in Vienna (not VA)...

if you're feeling particularly 'murica in budapest, Memento Park is worth the trip- it's basically a collection of communist statues that no one wanted after the cold war. When I was there, it was a combination of kids playing on them and adults spitting on them

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
if you're feeling particularly 'murica in budapest, Memento Park is worth the trip- it's basically a collection of communist statues that no one wanted after the cold war. When I was there, it was a combination of kids playing on them and adults spitting on them

Perhaps I should pack some red, white and blue spray paint...

Actually...I can plant a flag from Nationals Park...  ;)

• babble on
 :clap:

Offline mitlen

Perhaps I should pack some red, white and blue spray paint...

Actually...I can plant a flag from Nationals Park...  ;)

:w:

Offline Natsinpwc

Acadia National Park for a week in early October; to celebrate retirement at end of September.  Plan to be watching Nats playoff games in the cottage we are renting.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Very cool...we were in New Hampshire and Maine last year for the first time.  That's a great time of year there.  :thumbs:

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
The section of the Rhine just upstream from Koblenz ("Rhine gorge") is pretty spectacular.  And that river runs fast as hell.

The Danube at Budapest is pretty fast too - fantastic view of the rapid-running waters as you walk over the Szechenyi Chain Bridge.

Offline mitlen

Acadia National Park for a week in early October; to celebrate retirement at end of September.  Plan to be watching Nats playoff games in the cottage we are renting.

Used to ride through/around there on my way to New Brunswick  ....   Cadillac Mountain at dawn.

Offline Natsinpwc

Used to ride through/around there on my way to New Brunswick  ....   Cadillac Mountain at dawn.
Will do that.
Supposed to be the peak foliage week--hope the weather cooperates.

Offline houston-nat

6:25pm today: flight leaves for Paris

I'll be in France, Belgium, and Switzerland until July 20. May the team win every game while I'm gone! Have fun, folks!

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

I'll be in France, Belgium, and Switzerland until July 20. May the team win every game while I'm gone! Have fun, folks!

What a fantastic trip! Give us another recap like you did for Guatemala when you get back :thumbs:

• babble on
Nothing better on Jul 4 than steak-frites

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

have a wonderful time.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

We enjoyed a great week last year in nearby Stonington.  7 lobsters for $50 fully cooked!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession

Catching any tour stages?

Offline Natsinpwc

We enjoyed a great week last year in nearby Stonington.  7 lobsters for $50 fully cooked!
Really looking forward to the lobster. 
Plan to eat so much I get tired of it.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Any of WNFF folks wanting to visit the beach at OBX, let me know.  The house (and dogs) love everybody.  Just bring your golf clubs.  If you are worried about payment, just buy the beer while you're here.

Offline houston-nat

JCA, I will be seeing the Tour arrive in Reims Thursday entirely by mistake - did not realize until after booking train tickets. I just want to get drunk on champagne all day, not see the Tour, so am worried about crowds.

Skippy, I really did a Guatemala recap, right? Or are you guilt tripping me? I remember procrastinating writing the post, but not actually writing it. On the other hand, I am drunk.

Ali, my July 4 meal was beef slow cooked in Chimay Blue gravy.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Hey, some of you Montrealers/Quebecois, we're taking our family vacation to Quebec - going to spend a couple of nights in Montreal and 5 nights in Quebec City.  Can anybody advise on the availability of Nats games on TV in sports bars there?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Really looking forward to the lobster. 
Plan to eat so much I get tired of it.

Lobster rolls, lobster stew, lobster fettucine, etc.

We also bought a bucket of mussels and steamed them in an herb & garlic tomato broth and served as appetizers before the lobsters aforementioned.  What a meal.  Fresh blueberries constantly.  Summer in Maine is quite survivable.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Skippy, I really did a Guatemala recap, right? Or are you guilt tripping me? I remember procrastinating writing the post, but not actually writing it. On the other hand, I am drunk.

LOL yes you totally did a recap and it was great, the only thing lacking was some pretty pics of where you went ;)

Offline Natsinpwc

Lobster rolls, lobster stew, lobster fettucine, etc.

We also bought a bucket of mussels and steamed them in an herb & garlic tomato broth and served as appetizers before the lobsters aforementioned.  What a meal.  Fresh blueberries constantly.  Summer in Maine is quite survivable.
Summer will be over when we are there but hope there is some food left!