Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 9464 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Fishing
« Topic Start: May 05, 2011, 10:16:30 PM »
I tend not to do much fishing south of Virginia/Tennessee.  Not too much fly fishing happening there, more like Cabella's and Skoal Long Cut Wintergreen.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Fishing
« Reply #1: May 05, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
I tend not to do much fishing south of Virginia/Tennessee.  Not too much fly fishing happening there, more like Cabella's and Skoal Long Cut Wintergreen.

Not much for sight casting to tailing reds, eh?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Fishing
« Reply #2: May 05, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »
That's a lot of fish.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Fishing
« Reply #3: May 05, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
You should start a Fishin' Thread, tt.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Fishing
« Reply #4: May 05, 2011, 10:43:01 PM »
Few things beat a good Steelhead:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Fishing
« Reply #5: May 05, 2011, 10:47:14 PM »
That's a lot of fish.

I changed the photo at bottom - now that is actually me with an SC red caught in the flats behind Wild Dunes (Isle of Palms area), not a Google image search.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Fishing
« Reply #6: May 05, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »
So, who else likes to fish?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #7: May 05, 2011, 11:01:43 PM »
When I was a kid, I caught the world's most stupid fish in Pipestem, WV...it was a little spaz of a bluegill, and every time I threw it back in the water it would come right back and hook itself.  Eventually I started to feel like an a$s and got on my bike and pedaled as fast as I could back to the campsite.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: May 05, 2011, 11:15:45 PM »
I actually prefer the cabellas style. Give me a thermos of coffee followed by a case of bud light on a pontoon boat and I'm happy

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #9: May 06, 2011, 12:07:13 AM »
I haven't fished in years, back when I was a kid.  I wouldn't mind goof again but wouldn't know the first thing about where to go and what to do.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: May 06, 2011, 12:52:07 AM »
I could have been a fisherman.....

(Anyone ever see Ford Fairlane?)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #11: May 06, 2011, 06:27:48 AM »
I could have been a fisherman.....

(Anyone ever see Ford Fairlane?)

Fishermen, they get up, they fish, they sell fish, they smelt fish.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #12: May 06, 2011, 06:31:19 AM »
Not much for sight casting to tailing reds, eh?

Is that a 7 or 8-wt rod you've got there?  My dad's a big fan of bass fishing so I've used poppers and an old 7 wt rod to catch a couple of large mouths and strippers on Smith Mountain Lake and at the pond behind my parent's house back when I was a kid and teenager.  I used to have a lot of success with this guy back then:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #13: May 06, 2011, 06:52:07 AM »
I guess one thing I should mention is that when I was in college I worked for Orvis for three years and got a lot of really nice fly fishing gear (and trips) for next to nothing. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: May 06, 2011, 08:41:32 AM »
Is that a 7 or 8-wt rod you've got there?  My dad's a big fan of bass fishing so I've used poppers and an old 7 wt rod to catch a couple of large mouths and strippers on Smith Mountain Lake and at the pond behind my parent's house back when I was a kid and teenager.  I used to have a lot of success with this guy back then:

(Image removed from quote.)

That was an 8 weight that I built myself, but it never fished well.  Cabelas IM6 blank that seemed fine, but poor range.  I later built a 6 weight that casted like a dream until I crushed the ferrule.   :'(

By the way, if you're catching strippers on a fly rod, it won't be long before Spider takes up fishing.   :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #15: May 06, 2011, 08:42:43 AM »
I guess one thing I should mention is that when I was in college I worked for Orvis for three years and got a lot of really nice fly fishing gear (and trips) for next to nothing. 

That would be a nice perq of the job.

I worked for Cheverly Sport Fair and generally spent my weekends counting worms, when I wasn't disposing of dead minnows.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #16: May 06, 2011, 08:50:23 AM »
In the effort of Necromancy, wasn't there a fishing thread a while back in the Red Loft?  I seem to recall trying to convince tomterp to come up to the Adirondacks in that thread...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #17: May 06, 2011, 09:06:55 AM »
That would be a nice perq of the job.

I don't know if the discount is the same but it used to be 50% of fly fishing/hunting gear and luggage and 40% everything else.  Since I worked at the call center in Roanoke (which is where Orvis central warehouse is as well) I got 50% off of returned merchandise as well in addition to the 30% off return pricing.  So a rod that would cost $300 new I got for $120, I also used to buy $100 worth of flies for $7.  It's too bad I lost all of my fly fishing gear a few years ago when my dad's garage got struck by lightning; I had a TON of really cool Orvis gear.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #18: May 06, 2011, 09:08:43 AM »
By the way, if you're catching strippers on a fly rod, it won't be long before Spider takes up fishing.   :lol:

I think I still have my cheap-o Bass Pro Shop 7-8wt at home I used to catch strippers with; if I can find it I'll post a picture of it.  Probably the worst casting rod I've ever used but man was it perfect for bass and stripper slaying, about as stiff as a groom's dick.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #19: May 06, 2011, 09:09:52 AM »
In the effort of Necromancy, wasn't there a fishing thread a while back in the Red Loft?  I seem to recall trying to convince tomterp to come up to the Adirondacks in that thread...

I thought maybe so, but didn't have time to look for it when I split this off last night.

If anybody can find it, we can merge them.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: May 06, 2011, 09:12:19 AM »
I think I still have my cheap-o Bass Pro Shop 7-8wt at home I used to catch strippers with; if I can find it I'll post a picture of it.  Probably the worst casting rod I've ever used but man was it perfect for bass and stripper slaying, about as stiff as a groom's dick.

I totally get the stiffness thing, especially fishing for strippers. 

But stripers, on the other hand....

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #21: May 06, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »
I seem to recall trying to convince tomterp to come up to the Adirondacks in that thread...

That would be totally awesome.  Anyone here ever fished the Battenkill in Vermont?  Probably my favorite of the east coast rivers.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #22: May 06, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »
I totally get the stiffness thing, especially fishing for strippers. 

Oops, fixed!

« Reply #23: May 06, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »
I haven't fished in years, back when I was a kid.  I wouldn't mind goof again but wouldn't know the first thing about where to go and what to do.

This.

My Grandfather used to take me out to Burke Lake or Lake Accotink up in NOVA almost every other weekend when I was a kid. Usually all we caught were bluegills, but occasionally we'd snag a carp or snapping turtle. As a kid I always thought the fish that every one wanted to catch was a large mouth bass. I don't know why, but to my young mind it was comparable to catching a great white shark. I never, ever caught one though and now that we are talking fishing I am getting that urge to take that off my bucket list.

Gramps was huge into catfish though. He loved catfish fishing. He had this recipe for some pink stink bait he made partially out of jello. Reeked like hell, but it got the job done. He pulled two catfish in on one hook one time somehow.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #24: May 06, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »
Fishermen, they get up, they fish, they sell fish, they smelt fish.

we have a winner.