Author Topic: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 2  (Read 23005 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Nationals vs Cardinals, Game 2
« Reply #25: May 01, 2009, 01:45:56 PM »
I find it even crazier that LaRussa sits Ludwick as much as he does.

As for tonight, I'm not liking our chances.

O shows up big, puts up six runs, but we lose 9-6.

Cabrera gets bombed. Manny says he sees progress.

- Fin -

That's what I wrote yesterday. We ended up losing 9-4.

Tonight... hmm. I'll say 5-3 win with Zim going *gasp* 6.1 innings and the pen shutting the door on the Cards the rest of the way.

Manny only let JZ go that extra .1 because he lost track of what inning they were in. If he knew it was the 7th he would have removed JZ even though he was only at 81 pitches.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #26: May 01, 2009, 01:50:53 PM »
Because it may finally justify the Dunn signing for him so he can shut me up.    :D

I can't prove it of course, but I think the amazing start we're seeing from Zimmerman can be partially attributed to Dunn's presence in the lineup.  That alone justifies having him here, if you ask me.  Can't hurt that he and Zimm are buddies and probably keeping each other loose in the dugout.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #27: May 01, 2009, 01:53:48 PM »
I can't prove it of course, but I think the amazing start we're seeing from Zimmerman can be partially attributed to Dunn's presence in the lineup.  That alone justifies having him here, if you ask me.  Can't hurt that he and Zimm are buddies and probably keeping each other loose in the dugout.

$10MM couldn't have bought us two more decent relievers?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #28: May 01, 2009, 01:57:37 PM »
$10MM couldn't have bought us two more decent relievers?

why look at it that way?  why not look at it, spend $10 million on dunn AND $10 million on two relievers. 

there is no cap, the team is coming off a 102 loss season, the pen lost a majority of the arms from the previous year ... why not spend more?  oh because we have cheap owners, that's why.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #29: May 01, 2009, 01:58:53 PM »
The truth is that this organization is really lacking in something money can't buy...

Common sense.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #30: May 01, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »
Jay-Z doesn't have much competition for NL ROY...i think he's going to win it by a landslide.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #31: May 01, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »
The truth is that this organization is really lacking in something money can't buy...

Common sense.

haha of course there is that.  but also when you factor in that the owners are some of the richest people in america (one of the top richest sports owner) and coming off an embarrassing season that was 2008 (in a brand new ballpark mind you), you would think they'd open up a bit more to see improvement.  i liked the dunn and beimel signings and locking up zim was the right thing to do, but they don't get off that easy.  they just accept failure i guess, as long as they make a buck or two.     

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #32: May 01, 2009, 02:06:20 PM »
The Cardinals starting pitcher this evening, Todd Wellemeyer, is 1-2 with a 6.14 ERA so far this year in 4 starts.

Nationals Lineup career numbers against him:
Guzman 1/4
Johnson 0/1, BB
Zimmerman 1/2 K
Dunn 2/11 HR, 6 BBs, 6 Ks
Dukes 1/3
Willingham 1/3 HR, K
Flores 1/2 K
Hernandez 0/0
--------------------------
7/26 (.269), 5 Singles, 2 HRs, 7 BBs, 9 Ks.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #33: May 01, 2009, 02:08:06 PM »
why look at it that way?  why not look at it, spend $10 million on dunn AND $10 million on two relievers. 

there is no cap, the team is coming off a 102 loss season, the pen lost a majority of the arms from the previous year ... why not spend more?  oh because we have cheap owners, that's why.

I didn't set the budget.  They did.  That wasn't going to change.  What could be different is HOW they spent their money this off-season and given the results so far it's difficult to say "money well spent."

« Reply #34: May 01, 2009, 02:08:20 PM »

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #35: May 01, 2009, 02:08:25 PM »
haha of course there is that.  but also when you factor in that the owners are some of the richest people in america (one of the top richest sports owner) and coming off an embarrassing season that was 2008 (in a brand new ballpark mind you), you would think they'd open up a bit more to see improvement.  i liked the dunn and beimel signings and locking up zim was the right thing to do, but they don't get off that easy.  they just accept failure i guess, as long as they make a buck or two.    
Kasten and Rizzo deserve as much blame. From McElroy's MASN blog:

Debacle is an understatement. Rizzo says he's constantly working the phones, but we haven't seen results, unless you consider Kensing an upgrade. Too early to tell. Bernadina is out of the mix with a broken ankle and I'm sure they'd like to move Kearns but his salary is scaring teams off. You are right; something needs to be done, and fast. Pete

Rizzo has to dump some of these guys like NJ right now while they are still healthy and producing well. Get us pitching you fool!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #36: May 01, 2009, 02:11:41 PM »
I didn't set the budget.  They did.  That wasn't going to change.  What could be different is HOW they spent their money this off-season and given the results so far it's difficult to say "money well spent."

no i know, i wasn't calling you out.  i still think dunn was the right signing, as our offense had been terrible in the last few years.

i'm simply upset our owners have set such a low budget.  fourth lowest in baseball in a major market and a team that just lost 102 games, terrible.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #37: May 01, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
Do the Nats turn a profit?

If so, it's only logical to think that the Lerners are a happy bunch.

Realistically, what's the point of owning a ball club? To make money. In that sense if they are indeed making money, they've accomplished their goal.

Would it be nice if the owner was also competitive? Damn right it would be... but we as fans need to face the fact that the Lerners may be content with turning a profit and boosting their bottom line only.

« Reply #38: May 01, 2009, 02:33:41 PM »
Who gives a crap about the Lerners right now? Don't we have a team "that is better than this?"

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #39: May 01, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »
Who gives a crap about the Lerners right now? Don't we have a team "that is better than this?"
As a team we should be better but most of the hitters and starting pitchers are performing at semi-respectable levels. I just don't know if we can realistically expect much better from the bullpen. They are all just flat out awful. Kind of said that those 6 or so guys out there are preventing this team from having a respectable record. The other 19 guys on the team are doing good enough to be at least a .500 team.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #40: May 01, 2009, 02:36:20 PM »
JZ gets his first complete game of his career. If I were Jordan I would ask for the ball each inning after 6. Let him be his own middle reliever, set up man and closer!!! LOL

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #41: May 01, 2009, 02:38:12 PM »
JZ gets his first complete game of his career. If I were Jordan I would ask for the ball each inning after 6. Let him be his own middle reliever, set up man and closer!!! LOL

true.  when does bally go again for syracuse?  tomorrow?

Offline blue911

« Reply #42: May 01, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »

Tony Gwynn has Steven Strasburg throwing 120 pitches a game. Shairon Martis has yet to reach 90 in a game! Manny needs to let theses kids pitch.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #43: May 01, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »
Tony Gwynn has Steven Strasburg throwing 120 pitches a game. Shairon Martis has yet to reach 90 in a game! Manny needs to let theses kids pitch.
:clap: let them go 6-7+ innings if they are pitching well

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #44: May 01, 2009, 02:46:07 PM »
:clap: let them go 6-7+ 7-8+ innings if they are pitching well

Fixed.

6 innings isn't good enough.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #45: May 01, 2009, 02:49:26 PM »
Balester pitches on Saturday night in Charlotte. Bally, Stammen, O' Connor are looking really good as the whole team is down in AAA. Clippard will be up soon as a reliever. He has really settled in. Balester and Clippard room together and the team has really been on a high note  winning. There is a lot to say about winning at any level.
  By the way Give J Zimm the ball and let him go the distance.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #46: May 01, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
Balester pitches on Saturday night in Charlotte. Bally, Stammen, O' Connor are looking really good as the whole team is down in AAA. Clippard will be up soon as a reliever. He has really settled in. Balester and Clippard room together and the team has really been on a high note  winning. There is a lot to say about winning at any level.
yeah the Chiefs have won 6 in a row and are 12-6 on the season. nice to see at least one affiliate doing well. :clap:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #47: May 01, 2009, 02:51:14 PM »
Fixed.

6 innings isn't good enough.

hahahah true.  i want them in for 7 if they are pitching well. 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #48: May 01, 2009, 02:53:28 PM »

winning spreads just like losing, syracuse is playing well.  thanks, i'll definitely listen to the game tomorrow night.  yeah i can see t-clip getting bumped up soon and if bally continues to pitch like he has been he'll be up soon enough. 

good to see stammen have a solid start to the season and mikey o'connor has been pretty darn good in his starts @ harrisburg and cuse.

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #49: May 01, 2009, 02:55:07 PM »
Our hitters are solid so lets not use the excuse of taking J Zimm out for a pinch hitter. That would be a lame excuse for this ballclub. The hitters can hit! J Zimm can pitch! Keep him in the game!!