Author Topic: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 3  (Read 17766 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Nationals @ Orioles, Game 3
« Reply #75: May 18, 2008, 04:08:49 PM »
Guz goes yard!  :clap:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #76: May 18, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »
You need to overcome your disdain for one pitch outs. It's pathetic that we are praying to run up a pitcher's pitch count to get him out of the game instead of hoping our hitters knock him out. If the first pitch is good to drive then swing at it. It may be the only pitch you see that's good all at bat.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #77: May 18, 2008, 04:09:20 PM »
I hope Lenny Harris is happy that all his batters are now going up there hacking at the first pitch. I am sure he is proud. Meanwhile, the experienced Guzman, who is usually impatient has a good AB that pays off.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #78: May 18, 2008, 04:09:25 PM »
Guzman's swing looked easy on that HR.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #79: May 18, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »
You need to overcome your disdain for one pitch outs. It's pathetic that we are praying to run up a pitcher's pitch count to get him out of the game instead of hoping our hitters knock him out. If the first pitch is good to drive then swing at it. It may be the only pitch you see that's good all at bat.
That's the thing. We are swinging at bad first pitches. If were were swinging at the first pitch and getting hits some of the time I would have no problem with it.  The majority of the time we swing at the first pitch it results in an out. That's just making it too easy on the pitcher.

Offline nyexpofan

« Reply #80: May 18, 2008, 04:10:30 PM »
guthrie should have walked guz to face zimm

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #81: May 18, 2008, 04:10:58 PM »
Good swing, Zim. Just short.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #82: May 18, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »
guthrie should have walked guz to face zimm

:rofl:

But the issue, sportsfan, is more that they are not hitting well the pitches they deem good enough to swing at. Now if we are saying that Lenny Harris' PH mentality has infected our lineup and has made them to swing at first pitches to their detriment then we may have a beef.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #83: May 18, 2008, 04:12:57 PM »
Yeah Guz!
Let's hope that's all the run support Lannan needs...

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #84: May 18, 2008, 04:14:07 PM »

:rofl:

But the issue, sportsfan, is more that they are not hitting well the pitches they deem good enough to swing at. Now if we are saying that Lenny Harris' PH mentality has infected our lineup and has made them to swing at first pitches to their detriment then we may have a beef.
That is possible.  Harris needs to go regardless. Replace him with Ray Knight immediately. What's the worst that could happen? We have nowhere to go but up.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #85: May 18, 2008, 04:14:45 PM »
That's the thing. We are swinging at bad first pitches. If were were swinging at the first pitch and getting hits some of the time I would have no problem with it.  The majority of the time we swing at the first pitch it results in an out. That's just making it too easy on the pitcher.

There's also a difference between experienced veterans (who happen to be in a hitting groove) taking advantage of first pitch fastballs and some of our younger and struggling hitters going up there hacking. Guys like Milledge and Dukes don't have a full season under their belts. They need to be more selective to get used to seeing what the pitcher has in his arsenal. They learn very little from only seeing two pitches by halfway through the game. If they watch some, even if they fail to get on, they have something to look for the next at bat and have an at bat to review on video between innings. Harris is just obsessed with the pinch hitter's approach.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #86: May 18, 2008, 04:15:35 PM »
I was about to type that Lanna had a perfect game going, does the intent count as a jinx as well?  :shock:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #87: May 18, 2008, 04:16:06 PM »
Probably!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #88: May 18, 2008, 04:16:26 PM »
I'd be happy with a one-hit shutout from Lannan though!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #89: May 18, 2008, 04:17:05 PM »
Harris is just obsessed with the pinch hitter's approach.

If this is the case, and I have felt this for a while, then I believe we really may have a problem. I've never been one that likes to cast blame on the coaches but I think this time it could very well be warranted. Of course that's not to let these bums with the bats off the hook :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #90: May 18, 2008, 04:17:19 PM »
Lannan's looking very strong thus far

Offline spidernat

« Reply #91: May 18, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
Lanna looks like a stud again today.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #92: May 18, 2008, 04:21:55 PM »
If this is the case, and I have felt this for a while, then I believe we really may have a problem. I've never been one that likes to cast blame on the coaches but I think this time it could very well be warranted. Of course that's not to let these bums with the bats off the hook :lol:

Ultimately, it is the players that make the difference. The same team with the worst manager versus the best manager likely won't see a difference of more than a ten win swing, and some believe the swing isn't even that dramatic. So blaming the manager does tend to let the players off the hook. But players need coaches that can make necessary adjustments. Young players in particular need hitting and pitching coaches. Harris can't improve the talent on the team any more than St. Claire can turn a Speigner into a Maddux. But I wouldn't want to see our young pitchers have to go through struggles without Randy there to remind them of things or help clear up their mechanics.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #93: May 18, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »
Boone has missed a slew of hanging breaking balls today

Offline spidernat

« Reply #94: May 18, 2008, 04:24:23 PM »
Ultimately, it is the players that make the difference. The same team with the worst manager versus the best manager likely won't see a difference of more than a ten win swing, and some believe the swing isn't even that dramatic.

I'm clearly of this persuasion.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #95: May 18, 2008, 04:24:33 PM »
Ultimately, it is the players that make the difference. The same team with the worst manager versus the best manager likely won't see a difference of more than a ten win swing, and some believe the swing isn't even that dramatic. So blaming the manager does tend to let the players off the hook. But players need coaches that can make necessary adjustments. Young players in particular need hitting and pitching coaches. Harris can't improve the talent on the team any more than St. Claire can turn a Speigner into a Maddux. But I wouldn't want to see our young pitchers have to go through struggles without Randy there to remind them of things or help clear up their mechanics.
You are completely right. Milledge needs major help and aid with his swing and approach right now and there is no one there to help him.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #96: May 18, 2008, 04:26:23 PM »
Yeah Guz!
Let's hope that's all the run support Lannan needs...
...because it's all we'll give him.

MrMadison

« Reply #97: May 18, 2008, 04:27:18 PM »
You are completely right. Milledge needs major help and aid with his swing and approach right now and there is no one there to help him.

Yes.But Milledge also needs to take it upon himself to try and figure this out, since those who are supposed to be helping him get right are incompetent.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #98: May 18, 2008, 04:27:59 PM »
Great job of calling for the pitch low, Nieves. Nice pitch John.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #99: May 18, 2008, 04:30:21 PM »
Apparently Kearns has an elbow injury.  :?

When reporters arrived in the Nationals' locker room around 10:20 a.m. ET on Sunday, right fielder Austin Kearns was in the starting lineup. But 30 minutes later, Kearns was scratched and Elijah Dukes was inserted.

Washington manager Manny Acta wouldn't say why he made the lineup change, but it was learned that Kearns has a right elbow injury. The severity of the injury and how long he will be out of action is unknown.

Kearns is having the toughest season of his career, hitting .187 with three home runs and 16 RBIs.