Author Topic: With all this “great year” self-congratulatory back-slapping, just once ...  (Read 2073 times)

Offline heeman82

Offline hammondsnats

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Jesus Christ I'm getting old. I don't recognize half these references.
Grayskull

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
freak all of you, stay out of my state

Offline hammondsnats

LEGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MARYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Oh I thought this thread was about something on Boz chat:

" DC AREA SPORTS CURSE When does the DC area sports curse end? What game, what person, what play will turn our decades long losing streak around? My guess is RG3. Do you think it will be RG or the NATS next year or the Caps if they ever play.....

– Permalink

THOMAS BOSWELL : What world are you living in!!!??? It's over. Waaaay over. RGIII is a once-a-generation QB in DC. And the Nats JUST won more games than any team in baseball. Anybody who thinks this is anything but a VERY good time to be a Washington sports fan has some serious cognition issues. This is CLEAR. Open eyes. Enjoy. Don't demand the Super Bowl or World Series every year "or else I will be disappointed and say we are cursed."

– October 22, 2012 1:23 PM

REDSKINS Davey often deflects criticism of his players at news conferences. Why's it so wr

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Because, if you read my post, you'd know - because most fans are not from Washington.

A little shout-out recognition wouldn't kill them.

My dollars that help support their team are Virginia dollars.

If they don't want my Virginia dollars, I'm happy to keep them.

Please. Every team does this.

You really think all those Cubs/White Sox fans actually live in Chicago proper? Nope. Tigers fans actually live in that city? Not even close.

The difference is that 90% of those fans don't have to leave their state to go to a game.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House

Offline PANatsFan

NoVa/Tysons to DC:    :poke:

:D

Office space is much cheaper because of, I don't know, supply and demand - people want to be in the city and not the suburbs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Office space is much cheaper because of, I don't know, supply and demand - people want to be in the city and not the suburbs.

DC has very limited supply.  Vast areas nobody wants to build in - for example east of the Anacostia - and a height restriction that caps building in the select desirable locations, such as K Street.   

Don't be sad, we'll let you use one of our two airports if you need to get out of town fast, and you can visit MDS down in Del Ray if you want to get really crazy and step outside the window bars.     8)

Offline PANatsFan

DC has very limited supply.  Vast areas nobody wants to build in - for example east of the Anacostia - and a height restriction that caps building in the select desirable locations, such as K Street.   

Don't be sad, we'll let you use one of our two airports if you need to get out of town fast, and you can visit MDS down in Del Ray if you want to get really crazy and step outside the window bars.     8)

I was in Tysons today, it's a crap hole construction site with a mess of strip malls and nowhere to walk - those developers are smoking crack. It might be different in a few years.

You forget that I lived in Fairfax for 18 years and when I came back I CHOSE MoCo and then DC. Also, having a rough neighborhood or two makes it more of a city in my opinion, and no one is putting in an office next to a garden apartment complex full of MS13. PS I guarantee that there are houses off of PA Ave SE in Anacostia that are nicer than yours.

In other words, trololololololol :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

I was in Tysons today, it's a crap hole construction site with a mess of strip malls and nowhere to walk - those developers are smoking crack. It might be different in a few years.

I don't really disagree.  Tyson's has always been a mess.  Zero planning led to Houston style development, just put up whatever you want, wherever you want it.  And construction is always awful when it's in your own backyard, but it's a long term plus.  Bringing Metro to the Dulles corridor, including 4 stops in Tyson's, can only be viewed as a major step forward.

You forget that I lived in Fairfax for 18 years and when I came back I CHOSE MoCo and then DC. Also, having a rough neighborhood or two makes it more of a city in my opinion, and no one is putting in an office next to a garden apartment complex full of MS13. PS I guarantee that there are houses off of PA Ave SE in Anacostia that are nicer than yours.

You've also complained about your new self chosen security situation.  Really, it's laughable to think that bad neighborhoods are in someway good for a city.  Guess that makes Detroit your next stop?  Here's a simple concept - bad = bad, good = good. 

Are there physical houses along the Pa Ave corridor that are nicer than mine?  I have no idea.  Quite possibly, since the area used to be nice before going ghetto in the 50's-60's.  I recall a few nice houses along the ridge off So. Capitol up above Bolling, but they are fortresses against their surroundings.  Few would choose to live there given reasonable alternatives, given the nexus of crime, horrible schools and urban blight that dominates the landscape. 

Offline HalfSmokes

so TT isn't a fan of Anacostia :shrug:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Today will be my first time in a car in at least 2 months.  Life's all about choices... 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
so TT isn't a fan of Anacostia :shrug:

My great grandfather grew up there, but it ain't what it used to be.   :old:

I can guarantee however that I've spent a lot more time east of the Anacostia than PA every will.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Today will be my first time in a car in at least 2 months.  Life's all about choices...

Absolutely.   

I just don't buy into the smug, condescending attitudes some possess for their choices over others'.   If living in the city works for you, great.  But DC isn't big enough to handle the whole area's people and economy, nor does it fit with everyone's needs. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
  Here's a simple concept - bad = bad, good = good. 

You're trying to tell that to someone who insisted that cheap ≠ cheap.

Offline NationalHeat

Tysons is wonderful for people who want a semi-city, town center life conveniently located in the suburbs, love their cars, and don't mind driving to most places.

To compare it to one of America's true, original "urban life" cities seems kind of silly to me, apples and oranges fellas.

If anything I think Tysons and Bethesda/MoCo (where I live) compliment DC rather perfectly with alternative housing options and private sector jobs.

Offline PANatsFan

Tom's trolling under the guise of being reasonable

The whole POINT is that Tysons and DC are just different places to CHOOSE to live. I never said was one  better, I never said that bad neighborhoods are GOOD for a city, just that they make it MORE of a city. Most cities have bad neighborhoods.

Also, the fact that you have no idea what it looks like driving down PA Ave towards PG County completely invalidates your "time spent" there umpteen years ago. There are beautiful houses with grassy lawns there, no sign of urban blight that you speak of.

I was INTENTIONALY trolling because the developers were obviously doing so to garner attention and you were seeming to eat it up, likely also trolling.

Offline NationalHeat

Hillcrest is a nice neighborhood, I believe thats what you're referring to.

Offline Boss Dealwiler

• Hit the lights.
If living in the city works for you, great.

I'm new around here but where is this city you're talking about?

Offline HalfSmokes

I was INTENTIONALY trolling because the developers were obviously doing so to garner attention and you were seeming to eat it up, likely also trolling.

damn Lerners

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I'm new around here but where is this city you're talking about?

Washington, a.k.a. the District of Columbia.

About 15% of the region's population but > 50% of the ego.