Author Topic: Potential and Actual Offseason Moves.  (Read 4056 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Potential and Actual Offseason Moves.
« Topic Start: December 15, 2011, 03:26:41 PM »
The focus of this thread is on potential and actual off season moves.  It will be considered trolling to post a comment about whether the owners finances will be deployed to help build the team.  IT will be assumed that the team will have a budget somewhere in the $55 - $90 MM range, so "sign everybody" will be assumed to be trolling too. Posts should be focused on discussion of available players, reasonable trade offers, and other roster structure issues.  Comments on various players and how they will will fit on the MLB team or in the system will be welcome, especially if they focus on their baseball abilities.

If you want to bait other posters, then please post in the 2011/2012 Offseason thread.  That seems to cover the bulk of the posts.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Re: Potential and Actual Offseason Moves.
« Reply #1: December 15, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »
Without getting into names, I think this roster is in desperate need of (and in this order):

1.  A legitimate starting, non-platoon (sorry JCA) option in CF.  Viable, every day, major-league talent.

2.  A big bat in the lineup (a la Prince Fielder or someone like that).

3.  A "front of the rotation" type starting pitcher.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #2: December 15, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »
We should do a "big board"/tracker for this so we know who's gone and who's not.  I'm down for doing it if you think it will help.  We could also use it track how said FA are doing throughout the season.

As far as potential moves go - I'd like to see us sign Coco Crisp, Mike Cameron, and/or Luke Scott.  Scott if he's willing to be part-time and pass a physical, Crisp for obvious reason, and Cameron for all of the many reasons you and Linty pointed out.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: December 15, 2011, 03:32:52 PM »
These are the free agents (plus Darvish) that I wouldn't mind getting.

Position Players
Coco Crisp
Cody Ross
J.D. Drew

Pitchers
Yu Darvish
Edwin Jackson
Hiroki Kuroda
Roy Oswalt

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #4: December 15, 2011, 03:33:37 PM »
We should do a "big board"/tracker for this so we know who's gone and who's not.  I'm down for doing it if you think it will help.  We could also use it track how said FA are doing throughout the season.

As far as potential moves go - I'd like to see us sign Coco Crisp, Mike Cameron, and/or Luke Scott.  Scott if he's willing to be part-time and pass a physical, Crisp for obvious reason, and Cameron for all of the many reasons you and Linty pointed out.

I'm not big on Cameron.  Admittedly he's better than what we've got but if we platoon Ankiel with RH bat of equal comparison it's no better than Cameron, IMO.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: December 15, 2011, 03:34:07 PM »
Is Kelly Johnson healthy?  Didn't he have a significant (Nick Johnson-esque) leg issue last year?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: December 15, 2011, 03:36:35 PM »
ESPN has a big board tracker for all free agents.  The down side is that it includes some guys who are likely to retire.

link

Might be fun to sort or extract for the obvious needs, and maybe add in a column that picks up some of the crowd source estimates for contracts from FG (or whatever source you can find).

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #7: December 15, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »
I'll probably get blasted for this, but I'd rather bring Rick back than sign Coco. Rick's arm and rugged good looks are worth at least three wins compared to the two wins that Coco's afro is worth.

In all seriousness, if we can't get a young CF in trade, I'd rather we sign a stop-gap like Cameron and call it an offseason. None of the pitching that is left is very inspiring other than Oswalt, and his recent injuries make me leery of giving him any more than two years. I'd rather have someone like Peacock get a shot at the back end of the rotation.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #8: December 15, 2011, 03:36:53 PM »
Alright, I'm done with work for the day.  If someone here could be kind enough to post or PM me the current list of FA I think I can work some magic to get a tracker and forecaster going to for us.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #9: December 15, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »
FA Position players:
Mike Cameron
Jimmy Rollins

FA Pitchers:
Edwin Jackson
Roy Oswalt

Only really want Cameron out of that group... but if we needed a pitcher, I'd go with Jackson.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #10: December 15, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »
Without getting into names, I think this roster is in desperate need of (and in this order):

1.  A legitimate starting, non-platoon (sorry JCA) option in CF.  Viable, every day, major-league talent.

2.  A big bat in the lineup (a la Prince Fielder or someone like that).

3.  A "front of the rotation" type starting pitcher.

x1,000. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: December 15, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »
I think Kuroda or Oswalt is almost a must if they want to compete this year. I would love to have a cody ross to spell whoever the center fielder is and be a decent bench bat

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #12: December 15, 2011, 03:38:09 PM »
ESPN has a big board tracker for all free agents.  The down side is that it includes some guys who are likely to retire.

link

Might be fun to sort or extract for the obvious needs, and maybe add in a column that picks up some of the crowd source estimates for contracts from FG (or whatever source you can find).

Consider it done.  Might take me this weekend, but I've been wanting to do something like tihs for a while.  Seems like a good time to do it.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: December 15, 2011, 03:38:33 PM »
I'd rather have someone like Peacock get a shot at the back end of the rotation.

I think he'll be the #5 starter if we don't get Darvish or Jackson. I'd be okay with that.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: December 15, 2011, 03:40:33 PM »
I think he'll be the #5 starter if we don't get Darvish or Jackson. I'd be okay with that.

You have Strass and Wang who almost definitely won't be able to go the whole year, plus the number 5 is an audition spot- I don't think that's tenable is we want to compete this year. Adding a Koruda or Oswalt pushes Peacock out and makes him available in case of injury.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #15: December 15, 2011, 03:40:43 PM »
I'm not big on Cameron.  Admittedly he's better than what we've got but if we platoon Ankiel with RH bat of equal comparison it's no better than Cameron, IMO.

Further research on  http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/camermi01.shtml  tells me Cameron might not be a great option.  His dWAR has been unimpressive his entire career and his "post steroid" oWAR numbers aren't great either.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #16: December 15, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »
You have Strass and Wang who almost definitely won't be able to go the whole year, plus the number 5 is an audition spot- I don't think that's tenable is we want to compete this year. Adding a Koruda or Oswalt pushes Peacock out and makes him available in case of injury.

Detwiler and Gorzelanny would be two more options if anyone got hurt.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: December 15, 2011, 03:48:46 PM »
Detwiler and Gorzelanny would be two more options if anyone got hurt.

I don't trust Gorzelanny at all, and I think it's likely Peackock, Milone, and Detwiler all see significant time in the rotation as it stands- at a minimum I expect them to be starting at the end of the year when Strassburg and Wang are done, besides, I wholly buy into davy's notion of a bullpen having decent long men

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #18: December 15, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »
besides, I wholly buy into davy's notion of a bullpen having decent long men
LIVO

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #19: December 15, 2011, 03:56:35 PM »
LIVO

think going from facing Strasburg to facing Livo and then to HROD and storen.  That would take a lot of adjustments and would be utterly nasty.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #20: December 15, 2011, 04:03:50 PM »
1 or 2 years of Javier Vazquez wouldn't be bad. I didn't even know he was a free agent.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #21: December 15, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »
1 or 2 years of Javier Vazquez wouldn't be bad. I didn't even know he was a free agent.

Meh.

I guess it depends on which Vazquez you get.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #22: December 15, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »
Split off the stat fight into its own thread:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=25370.0

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #23: December 15, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »
Comment of mine that was removed:  I still agree that we should actively pursue Rollins.  Any improvement over Desmond, pleeze!

Offline Ray D

« Reply #24: December 16, 2011, 05:29:07 PM »
I guess it depends on which Vazquez you get.

Being a National league club I assume we'd get the National league version (that's the one  we'd want).