Author Topic: LAC still lives on (2013 roster targets)  (Read 9459 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: LAC still lives on (2013 roster targets)
« Reply #75: October 11, 2012, 01:25:47 PM »
Trade for J UP!! lol

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #76: October 11, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »
Go get Greinke[...]

NO.

He's been unhappy everywhere he's been, and as an FA at the end of this season will be on his fourth club in 2013...let somebody else flush $100m+ down the toilet.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #77: October 11, 2012, 02:15:32 PM »
If you don't believe Espinosa is a long term starter for you as a switch hitter, you probably can use at least one additional lefty power hitter among 2B / LF /1B, and you may need two if you don't bring back ALR.  They look very vulnerable to righty starters, and you don't want Harper facing two lefty relievers his last two at bats.

You also need a rotation piece.  Haren might be a good buy low.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #78: October 11, 2012, 02:26:01 PM »
Dan Haren would be quite the pickup.  I expect to see Rizzo go after a starting pitcher and maybe a middle-reliever in the off-season but keep the rest of the team in-tact.  Other than Haren, Jeff Francis could be a decent #4, I think we'll work out something to keep LaRoche as well, maybe buy out his option year and give him a couple of more years.  Moore stays as the bench/injury fill-in.  For bullpen help, look at Mike Adams, Randy Choate, or someone that can be a LH power arm to replace Gonzales.

A starting rotation of Strasburg, Gio, Zimm, Haren, and Detwiler would make me very very happy.  Maybe replace DeRosa with Ryan Theriot,

Offline blue911

« Reply #79: October 11, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »
I don't think the Angels are going to decline their option on Haren. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #80: October 11, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »
A starting rotation of Strasburg, Gio, Zimm, Haren, and Detwiler would make me very very happy.  Maybe replace DeRosa with Ryan Theriot,

I think hammonds would :asplode:

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #81: October 11, 2012, 02:36:14 PM »
I feel like we overstate ALR around here. Low .800 OPS 25 HR/90 RBI first basemen are basically middle of the road guys. I definitely wouldn't give him a multi year deal, especially with the possiblity of having to move Zim there eventually. I'd like to see Morse at 1B next year, then let him walk too and eventually have a Zim-Espinosa-Desmond-Rendon-Ramos infield.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #82: October 11, 2012, 02:40:51 PM »
There's talk of converting Christian Garcia to a starter - FO/Manager's really really like his stuff

:shrug:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #83: October 11, 2012, 02:45:48 PM »
I just have a bad feeling about Melky. Can't shake it.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #84: October 11, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »
, or someone that can be a LH power arm to replace Gonzales.

I think Garcia will replace Gonzalez or Gorzelanny. We still have Burnett, Duke and Kimball, HRod though I think Burnett and Duke are the only lefties.

DeRosa will not be on the team next year. We have Bernie , Lombo , Tracy and Moore. The writing was on the wall when he didn't make the play-off roster.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #85: October 11, 2012, 02:55:18 PM »
If you don't believe Espinosa is a long term starter for you as a switch hitter, you probably can use at least one additional lefty power hitter among 2B / LF /1B, and you may need two if you don't bring back ALR.  They look very vulnerable to righty starters, and you don't want Harper facing two lefty relievers his last two at bats.

You also need a rotation piece.  Haren might be a good buy low.

I'd jump on that bandwagon, but I thought Desmond was trash this offseason- hopefully Danny can follow a similar track

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86: October 11, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »
Blue - the talk was that the Angels will let Santana and Haren walk and bring back Grienke.  haren's option is at $15.5MM, with a buyout of $3.5MM.  Do you think they'd commit that and still pursue Greinke? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87: October 11, 2012, 03:09:25 PM »
Zach Duke is a free agent (6+ years service time). 

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #88: October 11, 2012, 03:21:03 PM »
Low .800 OPS 25 HR/90 RBI first basemen are basically middle of the road guys.

Not anymore.  The overall drop in offense across the league has made that kind of line more valuable than it used to be.  3-4 years ago, ALR at that level was basically smack middle of the road.  Now, he's solidly above-average, even though the production line is the same.  I think you have to keep him, because you need the lefty bat, unless you go make a move (Alex Gordon?).  That's the number 1 priority of the offseason.  Once you have that settled, you know what pieces you need and what pieces you can move.

Offline blue911

« Reply #89: October 11, 2012, 03:37:18 PM »
Blue - the talk was that the Angels will let Santana and Haren walk and bring back Grienke.  haren's option is at $15.5MM, with a buyout of $3.5MM.  Do you think they'd commit that and still pursue Greinke? 

Sure it's only a year. After 2013 they can offer him arbitration without the $3.5M buyout. But to pay him to go away on the hope that Greinke signs would be a mistake. Weaver needs more help than just Wilson if the Angels want to compete in the AL West. The Angels aren't a bad team by any stretch of the imagination so there shouldn't be a need for radical changes to the roster.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #90: October 11, 2012, 04:05:09 PM »
Not anymore.  The overall drop in offense across the league has made that kind of line more valuable than it used to be.  3-4 years ago, ALR at that level was basically smack middle of the road.  Now, he's solidly above-average, even though the production line is the same.  I think you have to keep him, because you need the lefty bat, unless you go make a move (Alex Gordon?).  That's the number 1 priority of the offseason.  Once you have that settled, you know what pieces you need and what pieces you can move.

He'd be fine on a one year deal. But would you give him multi years considering his age (his window certainly doe not fit this teams window) and the likelihood of Zim having to move to first?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #91: October 11, 2012, 07:16:25 PM »
Do you think they go after Lohse?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #92: October 12, 2012, 12:43:20 PM »
still need OF, 2B and SP

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #93: October 12, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »
Do you think they go after Lohse?

I wouldn't. The Nats shouldn't spend big on anyone this year. We have four starters with ace stuff; I just woulldn't pay 40 mill for 3 years to a 35 yr old.

I hope they're smartly cheap; I don't see why we should sign guys over 30 when we have logical pieces in the minors playing at a high level, who will see big league action soon. Goodwin, Meyer, Rendon, thats my OF/SP/2B right there.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #94: October 12, 2012, 01:53:29 PM »
I wouldn't. The Nats shouldn't spend big on anyone this year. We have four starters with ace stuff; I just woulldn't pay 40 mill for 3 years to a 35 yr old.

I hope they're smartly cheap; I don't see why we should sign guys over 30 when we have logical pieces in the minors playing at a high level, who will see big league action soon. Goodwin, Meyer, Rendon, thats my OF/SP/2B right there.
Exactly.

I really want a high inning starter (maybe that is EJax, I don't know) near the end of the rotation. Past that, I like our roster as is.

I'd LaRoche to stay, but can understand if the team let's him walk. If LaRoche leaves, drop Morse to 1B and let's do our best to find a good defensive CF. A stop gap measure would be acceptable with our Goodwin coming up, but an Upton or Bourn would be awesome, but I think they (mostly Bourn) would want Werth like contracts.

If they move Espinosa I want him replaced by a top glove player. After Desmond took the huge year 3 step forward I would be happy if Espi got another shot. Worse case scenario he flames out next year and they move Lombardozzi above him as the every day player and let Espi give Desmond (nagging injury prone) days off as well as let Lombo move around a bit. I'd like Espi to give Desmond days off whatever happens. Desmond is such a beast this season.

I want our team to stay focused on athletic and defensively oriented with a couple boppers like Tracy and Moore off the bench.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95: October 12, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »
The way it seems to work is there is always a pretty good guy out there who misestimates the market and is looking for a safe landing spot in january / February.  That was Jackson last year.  Before, it used to be the "LAC" move because we need an FA to have a competitive top of the rotation.  Now, what we are arguing about is 5th starters and swing men.  Getting a #3 type starter to fill the last slot in your rotation is better than having a #3 become your ace. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #96: October 12, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »

I wouldn't say that Detwiler has "ace" stuff. I don't even think Jordan Zimmermann does.

Goodwin is a full year and change away. Meyer is much further. Rendon is the closest to being ready. And he'll still start next season in Double A.

See what we can trade Morse for. I'd like a starting pitcher. Pick up Laroche's option. Sign Upton for a few years. Gives Danny a season to fix the inconsistency. If he can't, and Rendon is ready, bring him up and play him at second.

That sets us up nicely for the future in the next few years. Meyer/Purke can take Detwiler's spot. Rendon can move to first or third. Werth could move to first, giving us an outfield of Upton/Goodwin/Harper.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #97: October 12, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »
Call me crazy, but what about going La Russa on the lineup and putting Bourn at 9? Is there research into whether batting the pitcher eighth is a significant help? Hamilton has a whole armada of red flags.

I think Davey said he wanted no parts of the Riggleman experiment in batting order. Said it as soon as he took over.

Meanwhile, the field lineup is solid for next year. The Nats might need a starting pitcher, if Rizzo is as unhappy as I am with Jackson's last few starts. I'd prefer to see the Nats use Lannan next year -- I think his arbitration gave him two years at $5million with the Nats. Then a kid. Maybe Meyer? Maybe Christian Garcia, who was a starter in the Yankees's farm system.

Aside from starters, the Nats seem to have more position players than positions. That's good, as we saw during all the injuries this season.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #98: October 12, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »
As alternative option, I'd take a flyer on Jeremy Guthrie. Settled down nicely in KC. Has some talent and it's not like we'd be expecting a lot from our number 5

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #99: October 12, 2012, 02:02:40 PM »
I would be fine with Lannan as a #5. A guy who will pitch 180+ innings with an ERA of around 3.7 or lower isn't bad. I'd like better, but it'd be solid.