Author Topic: Nationals vs Mariners, Game 1  (Read 26665 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Nationals vs Mariners, Game 1
« Reply #75: June 21, 2011, 01:48:02 PM »
So now his major league career (326 IP) doesn't count?

That's a new one from you.
His minor league numbers don't mean anything? With anyone else you say they do matter.

He will finish with a career Major League ERA much closer to his Career Minor League ERA than what his Major League ERA currently is.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #76: June 21, 2011, 01:48:28 PM »

He will finish with a career Major League ERA much closer to his Career Minor League ERA than what his Major League ERA currently is.

Mindfact.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #77: June 21, 2011, 01:49:42 PM »
The Nats have never seen Doug Fister and in baseball unfamiliarity can be a powerful weapon. Remember how decent Luis Atilano looked before he went around the league.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #78: June 21, 2011, 01:49:52 PM »
Because no one else is willing to point out how ridiculous he is?

Everyone else has long since realized that he's the court jester and appropriately laughs him off or ignores him.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #79: June 21, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »
Baldric

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #80: June 21, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »
The Nats have never seen Doug Fister

I realized this the other night when I went to look up pitcher vs batter numbers, but I would SWEAR we faced a guy named Fister once before...  different Fister?

( :lmao: )

Offline Sharp

« Reply #81: June 21, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »
The Nats have never seen Doug Fister and in baseball unfamiliarity can be a powerful weapon. Remember how decent Luis Atilano looked before he went around the league.
Of course, it's also possible that Atilano only stayed up because he looked good in his first few starts... plenty of our pitchers have come up and done terribly right off the bat, Maya being the latest example.  But Fister pitched essentially a full season last year already, any of the advantages of unfamiliarity should have worn off by now.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #82: June 21, 2011, 01:51:40 PM »
Because no one else is willing to point out how ridiculous he is?

:shrug:

I think everyone points out how ridiculous he can be.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #83: June 21, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »
What SF is saying isn't all that objectionable to me - we have one of our better lineups tonight, one of our better pitchers, and we're playing at home.  We're not going up against Felix or Pineda and they've struggled offensively this year.  It's a game I'd like to think we can win.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #84: June 21, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »
I realized this the other night when I went to look up pitcher vs batter numbers, but I would SWEAR we faced a guy named Fister once before...  different Fister?

( :lmao: )

I think you are just confused because Bob and FP say fisted so much. Like,
"He really fisted him with that jam job right there FP."
"I'll say Bob. He really got that ball deep in on his hands. He was all up in his kitchen. That's just good old country hardball."

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #85: June 21, 2011, 01:54:17 PM »
Mindfact.
Fact. Not a good pitcher. He has big size but his stuff doesn't match up. He is a good control sinkerballer with subpar stuff. Dime a dozen.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #86: June 21, 2011, 01:54:20 PM »
Of course, it's also possible that Atilano only stayed up because he looked good in his first few starts... plenty of our pitchers have come up and done terribly right off the bat, Maya being the latest example.  But Fister pitched essentially a full season last year already, any of the advantages of unfamiliarity should have worn off by now.

In the AL.

Offline sruiz59

« Reply #87: June 21, 2011, 01:55:15 PM »
I have to agree with SF here. On the Nats, Fister would be the fifth starter, and the Nats SHOULD win this game if they are who we think they are. There really is no excuse to lose today because they only way they do is by putting out the same lack luster effort they did on sunday. They should be good for at least 4 runs tonight, which is enough to be the M's barring defensive mistakes.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #88: June 21, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
Fact. Not a good pitcher. He has big size but his stuff doesn't match up. He is a good control sinkerballer with subpar stuff. Dime a dozen.

You're right.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #89: June 21, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »
Summing up Fister’s 2010

Fister can’t overpower hitters and, without a dominant pitch, works to contact - and hitters batted .277 against him. Still, with his sinker and determination, he managed to avoid big innings the first two months of the season, did so less often the final 2 ½ months.

Looking to 2011

Fister is the incumbent starter most likely to get bumped from the rotation if - or when - rookie Michael Pineda makes the team. Fister is not without talent, but without a dominant pitch may always be on-the-bubble. “Doug knows what he can and can’t do.,” Brown said. “He’s got a good changeup, a sinker, and he doesn’t try to do more than he can. He makes a hitter beat him, and he’s a tough competitor.”

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/mariners/2011/01/13/mariners-scouting-report-2011-doug-fister/#ixzz1Pvzy1EcT

Offline Sharp

« Reply #90: June 21, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
In the AL.
Sure, but there should be tons of video on him by now, plus the AL is generally the better league offensively.  IIRC, last year Atilano started doing poorly even against opponents he'd never faced, so if we're ascribing his early success to the "never seen" effect surely it's worn off by now.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #91: June 21, 2011, 01:58:35 PM »
I have to agree with SF here. On the Nats, Fister would be the fifth starter, and the Nats SHOULD win this game if they are who we think they are. There really is no excuse to lose today because they only way they do is by putting out the same lack luster effort they did on sunday. They should be good for at least 4 runs tonight, which is enough to be the M's barring defensive mistakes.

Just a question.

Which team has the winning record, again?

I'm glad everyone is so confident... but to say these are games the Nats SHOULD win, confuses me.

In fact, I imagine the Nats are considered "Should" win games for Mariners fans, as well.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #92: June 21, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
I realized this the other night when I went to look up pitcher vs batter numbers, but I would SWEAR we faced a guy named Fister once before...  different Fister?

No other Fisters turn up in Baseball Reference, but 22nd July of last year we played the Reds on the road and faced Carlos Fisher, who came on in relief of starter Edinson Volquez - 3 2/3 innings pitched, no runs allowed, no walks, 4 strike-outs - Nats still won 7-1 on a complete game by tonight's starter, Livan Hernandez (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN201007220.shtml).

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #93: June 21, 2011, 02:02:44 PM »
How many #5 pitchers have a career 3.97 ERA with a 1.28 WHIP?

I'll wait.

:clap: 

When his boy Lannan had that kind of ERA he dubbed him a possible "ace".   :lmao:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #94: June 21, 2011, 02:03:33 PM »
Just a question.

I'm glad everyone is so confident... but to say these are games the Nats SHOULD win, confuses me.
They play in the weak ass AL West, enough said.

The Nats would be 3 games out of First place in that sorry crapshow of a division. :lmao:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #95: June 21, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
Dude, why do you have to do this with EVERYTHING SF posts?  I don't understand why you're so infatuated with the guy :shrug:

It seems like a legit topic for discussion.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #96: June 21, 2011, 02:05:24 PM »
They play in the weak ass AL West, enough said.

The Nats would be 3 games out of First place in that sorry crapshow of a division. :lmao:

But the Nats don't play in the AL West, and they're not three games out of first.

Continue to live in your fantasy land.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #97: June 21, 2011, 02:05:54 PM »
Sure, but there should be tons of video on him by now, plus the AL is generally the better league offensively.  IIRC, last year Atilano started doing poorly even against opponents he'd never faced, so if we're ascribing his early success to the "never seen" effect surely it's worn off by now.

I don't think I was trying to say what you think I was trying to say. My point is Fister's numbers are damn near meaningless as he has never faced the nats and only Pudge and Hairston have ever seen him before for a total of 6 PA. Seeing a pitcher in a live game is a lot different than seeing him on video. Even the Mariners numbers vs. Livo mean very little as most of the PA are Olivio and that was from when he was on the Marlins and Livan was a differnt pitcher.

Atilano was a poor pitcher. Doug Fister is an average to above average major league pitcher there is a world of difference between the two. The only reason Atilano had any success was because no one had ever seen him. My bringing up his name at all only seemed to cause confusion, but I think hsi limited success shows how even guys with no stuff, no control, and no intelligence can have limited success just because they are unseen.

Fister could easily shutout the Nats tonight and it will be partly because he is talented and partly because they have no idea of what his stuff is like in a 3D world.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #98: June 21, 2011, 02:08:21 PM »
But the Nats don't play in the AL West, and they're not three games out of first.

Continue to live in your fantasy land.
You wanted a reason why they had a slightly better record than us and I gave it to you. Weaker schedule.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #99: June 21, 2011, 02:09:01 PM »
Just a question.

Because they're going up against a guy with a career 4 ERA and a good bit higher away from his home park that favors (edit:  this should have said pitchers) hitters.  And they're going up against a team that's collectively batting .200 or whatever.