Author Topic: Bryce Harper artwork  (Read 10584 times)

Offline cincysportsart

Re: Bryce Harper artwork
« Reply #50: January 12, 2011, 11:32:38 AM »
That looks really good - some of the shading before looked a little like his warpaint eyeblack.
Yeah, I wanted to add some strong shadows in the beginning, and then add some colors over it to give it some depth.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #51: January 12, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »
Are you painting these from a photo? If so, it'd be cool to compare it to the original.

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #52: January 12, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
Are you painting these from a photo? If so, it'd be cool to compare it to the original.
It's actually based off of a photo taken when he was in JC, but my computer died about a month ago, and unfortunately, the only pics I have of it are the ones I have on my desk -- and they're in 3 pieces...plus with all my notes and what not, they wouldn't provide much of a comparison I'm afraid.  Sorry!

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #53: January 12, 2011, 11:52:36 AM »
no problem

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #54: January 13, 2011, 01:04:35 AM »
Just wanted to post an updated pic...had a chance to work on it tonight for a bit.  Not a great deal of progress, but got some more coloring layers on his face.  Once I get all the coloring set, I can go back and add the highlights and shadows and blend a lot of areas.  Still a long way to go!

Offline ZIM4MVP

« Reply #55: January 14, 2011, 08:20:28 PM »
wow, i want to buy all 3

Offline Coladar

« Reply #56: January 14, 2011, 09:23:43 PM »
Just wanted to post an updated pic...had a chance to work on it tonight for a bit.  Not a great deal of progress, but got some more coloring layers on his face.  Once I get all the coloring set, I can go back and add the highlights and shadows and blend a lot of areas.  Still a long way to go!

I know you said you weren't sure about adding a background to it... I really think having the infield diamond as a backdrop would work perfectly. That portrait just screams out to have the green and browns of the infield contrasting the shot of Harper. As if he's standing at home plate facing the crowd, that type of view of the infield. Then again, as already noted, I can't draw a stick figure, so its probably best to do the opposite of what I suggest.

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #57: January 16, 2011, 10:47:53 AM »
I haven't completely eliminated the idea of adding a background at some point, but it's really going to depend on what happens with Harper's assignment.  One of the MiLB teams that Harper is likely to be assigned to, has expressed interest in prints of the painting, should he wind up with them...so, should I luck out, and that work out, then I will more than likely leave that decision up to them.   But that's still a long way away, and out of my hands so to speak, so I'm going to just keep pluggin away on the parts of the painting that I can finish and go from there.  I appreciate your input, and I agree that almost all paintings look better with a background -- just a matter of how things shake out.  There's also the matter of someday having the painting signed by Harper -- which can be sort of tricky if the background is "busy", and trying to instruct the player/handler on where to sign.

But, anyways, thanks for checking it out!  And, yeah, feel free to buy as many prints as you like!  I have sold an 18"x24" print of the Zimmerman on here, and am planning on printing an 18"x24" for myself as well.  It's one of my favorite paintings I've done, so I'm looking forward to printing one and getting it hung up.

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #58: January 16, 2011, 10:48:50 AM »
wow, i want to buy all 3
  by all means, feel free to do so, haha, I can always use the business!

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #59: January 19, 2011, 09:09:55 PM »
Just wanted to post a pic from the ziMS Foundation of Ryan with the painting I donated.  I just got word that the photo was posted on their website, so I wanted to post it on here for you guys.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #60: January 19, 2011, 09:11:54 PM »
:clap:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #61: January 19, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »
That is really, really cool.

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #62: January 19, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »
Thanks, I was excited when the ziMS Foundation emailed the link tonight.  It's a cause that hits home, as my fiance'es father has MS, and once I heard about Ryan's mother also having MS, I knew I instantly wanted to work with them, and am happy to say it's the 2nd time I've donated a painting to their cause...as well as the David Wright Foudation twice too.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #63: January 20, 2011, 01:30:58 AM »
Got the Zimmerman one today and will be getting a frame tomorrow. Looks great! :clap:

Definitely recommend these.

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #64: January 22, 2011, 12:52:23 AM »
Hey, just wanted to ask you guys your opinion on the Harper painting and potential prints that will be offered after finishing it.  How much would the uniform he's painted in affect your interest in the painting?  Would you rather have a print with Harper in a Nationals uniform/hat, etc., or if he was painted in a Hagerstown Suns/Potomac Nats, etc. uniform/hat, would it affect your interest in purchasing a print?  I'm just trying to gauge the thoughts on the situation, because if I'd release 2 different runs of the painting it could become rather expensive.  I have a plan in motion should I create 2 runs, but obviously I'd prefer to only have to release 1 edition.  Thanks guys!...and I'll try to post a new pic of the Harper painting soon!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #65: January 22, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »
I'd prefer a nationals one, though Suns would be cool since I live very near Hagersburg ;)
(forum in-joke, I know it's Hagerstown)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #66: January 22, 2011, 12:55:21 AM »
I think you'd get more people purchasing it if it's a regular Nats uniform instead of a minor league team. Broader appeal.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #67: January 22, 2011, 02:31:00 AM »
Yeah, clearly your best bet is a Nats uniform. He'll be with the minor league team for a couple months. He'll be with the Nats for years, and even now a Nats uniform isn't too soon. Any minor league uniform will be outdated fast, whereas the Nats uniform will never go out of date even if he signs elsewhere as a FA. If you're looking at the commercial aspect of selling prints, you only have one option, putting him in the new Nats uniform.

The question is, which? I personally would prefer the alternate Red uniform to the home whites. I think it would stand out more. And if you decide not to go with a background, I think the red home uni is the only option. With a background, the red might be too much for the painting, and the main white home uniform work better. Just some random thoughts, I look forward to seeing, and purchasing, your final product on the Harper piece. Quite a stellar piece of art even before it's finished, as I've already stated.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #68: January 22, 2011, 04:00:47 AM »
I personally would like the minor league, as would other forum members, but random dudes will go for the Nats uni.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #69: January 22, 2011, 12:18:42 PM »
Any way to keep the Harper template, copy it, and then place a couple different uniforms on him?

That might be cool... if not time consuming.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #70: January 22, 2011, 02:28:35 PM »
Got the Zimmerman one today and will be getting a frame tomorrow. Looks great! :clap:

Definitely recommend these.

Got mine on Thursday. It looks great and Jason is a class act.

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #71: January 22, 2011, 06:02:16 PM »
Got mine on Thursday. It looks great and Jason is a class act.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!
And, in regards to the planned uniform if using the Nats unis, I am in fact planning on using the red Nats unis for the very reason you mentioned...a very strong contrast to a white background.  However, I do have plans if I need to create both.  Essentially, I am going to wait until Harper's "official" assignment during Spring Training to see which team he winds up playing for...though it's almost certainly going to be Hagerstown at this point.  With that said, should the Suns be interested in prints of the painting, I will merely have the painting (pre-uniform) scanned and have a print run on fine art paper almost identical to that of the watercolor painting of the original...leaving me "essentially" with 2 paintings of the same thing.  However, will leave me with both options.  In this case, I would finish the Suns painting first so as to expedite the printing process.  Then, come back to the Nats uniform painting and finish that one.

The big issue will be if I have to license the prints through MiLB -- which I've done before and is an enormous hassle quite honestly.  MiLB drug their feet the entire time and delayed the printing process nearly 4 months...so needlesstosay, I would prefer to not even both with them.  Thanks for the input guys!

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #72: January 24, 2011, 12:37:20 AM »
Here's an updated pic of the painting.  I did manage to find one of my initial "comp" photos for the painting, so I placed it next to the painting to see how it's taking shape.  Still a ton of shading to do, but it's getting there.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #73: January 24, 2011, 04:39:54 AM »
How the hell people do that, I'll never know.  Crazy talent, man.

Offline cincysportsart

« Reply #74: February 10, 2011, 01:07:48 AM »
Sorry for the delays...just haven't had much time to work on the Harper painting lately.  Haven't touched any shading on his face since the last update but have started to add some more shading to his hands, arms, etc.  Finished the shading on his wristband, but still a long way to go.  With Spring Training creeping up and hopefully with Harper's assignment making things official, I'll be able to move forward one way or another in adding the uniform of choice to the painting.

Thanks again for everyone's support and interest in the project!  Enjoy!