Author Topic: Baseball hat thread  (Read 29706 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Baseball hat thread
« Reply #200: July 06, 2012, 01:13:44 PM »
Does anybody have a link for the 1924 hat they wore last night?  I don't mean the Cooperstown Collection, I'm looking for the 59fifty with the skinner W they wore on the field. 

MLB Shop will have them up soon but they're pretty slow on getting things like this up.  Keep check it and they'll be up there eventually.  Like most things at the park, they were running out before the actual game started so the MLB Shop might be your only bet, though Lids will have them from time to time.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #201: July 11, 2012, 11:16:13 PM »
I finally made a little sowing of my Nats Hats Collection. I made a Ustream video showing my hat/cap collection with a little bit of an explanation of each hat. Lots of my usual babbling.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23930629

Incase it doesn't show up the hats I show are:

Nationals:
circa 2006/7 Red Home hat (with "Nationals" name on back)
circa 2006/7 Blue Road hat (with "Nationals" name on back)
circa 2006/7 Red & White "Freshman" hat adjustable strap back
2009? "Nationals Logo" hat Black with side MLB Insiders Club patch adjustable velcro
2010 White with red stripes and Red "leather patch" Curly :w:(nike) adjustable velcro back with "Nationals" on strap.
2011 Red "47 brand" with blue curly :w: with white trim, bill has white stitching w/ "Washington Nationals" printed on bill, velco adjustable back with "1905" on back (Hey I just noticed that is a mistake. I thought it was just the big "05" I forgot the small 19 was there assumed it was a "20" :lol:)

2007 Kids (youth size) plastic batting Blue Road helmet purchased on the final night game in September at RFK.

Original Senators:
circa late 50s-61 Dark Blue "straight" W hat "W" is red felt. Fitted cap lays flat plastic band on inside cracked and creased.
Mid 1960s "Red" hat with red patch with white :w: leather/plastic lining band very cracked and hard due to dry conditions and age.

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
« Reply #202: July 12, 2012, 01:06:42 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the Dodgers hat. It's just a classy looking hat, and blue and white are my favorite colors, as they are the colors of Kentucky.

Still roll with my road authentic hat right now though.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #203: July 12, 2012, 06:12:49 AM »
I agree, if we're talking about the Brooklyn Dodgers hat. :)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #204: July 12, 2012, 06:17:06 AM »
Did you ever get the Brooklyn Dodgers TBTC hat from last year?  I did and it's one of my favs.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #205: July 12, 2012, 07:33:26 AM »
No, link?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #206: July 12, 2012, 07:37:32 AM »
No, link?

I'll take a picture before I cruise in to work. 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #207: July 12, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
I finally made a little sowing of my Nats Hats Collection. I made a Ustream video showing my hat/cap collection with a little bit of an explanation of each hat. Lots of my usual babbling.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23930629

Incase it doesn't show up the hats I show are:

Nationals:
circa 2006/7 Red Home hat (with "Nationals" name on back)
circa 2006/7 Blue Road hat (with "Nationals" name on back)
circa 2006/7 Red & White "Freshman" hat adjustable strap back
2009? "Nationals Logo" hat Black with side MLB Insiders Club patch adjustable velcro
2010 White with red stripes and Red "leather patch" Curly :w:(nike) adjustable velcro back with "Nationals" on strap.
2011 Red "47 brand" with blue curly :w: with white trim, bill has white stitching w/ "Washington Nationals" printed on bill, velco adjustable back with "1905" on back (Hey I just noticed that is a mistake. I thought it was just the big "05" I forgot the small 19 was there assumed it was a "20" :lol:)

2007 Kids (youth size) plastic batting Blue Road helmet purchased on the final night game in September at RFK.

Original Senators:
circa late 50s-61 Dark Blue "straight" W hat "W" is red felt. Fitted cap lays flat plastic band on inside cracked and creased.
Mid 1960s "Red" hat with red patch with white :w: leather/plastic lining band very cracked and hard due to dry conditions and age.

Hard to believe all those hats and no official 5950 or 3930?

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #208: July 12, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »
Hard to believe all those hats and no official 5950 or 3930?

The only ones that really surprise me about that are the 3 I had gotten late 06 early 07 from the Official MLB.com website. The two newer ones that my brother and his wife gave me I think they had bought at Wal-Mart (my sister-in-laws favorite store it seems) or some other common type store that only gets the semi-official stuff that casual fans grab up.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #209: July 12, 2012, 12:30:26 PM »
I am not sure why but I am amused you call yourself CaptianKirk42 in your video. :lol:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #210: July 12, 2012, 12:31:25 PM »
good stuff captkirk, you may have inspired me to get a white nats hat.

i have a red nats batting helmet.  makes the room stand out.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #211: July 12, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »
I am not sure why but I am amused you call yourself CaptianKirk42 in your video. :lol:

I do that because most of the videos I do are trading card related and on all the trading card websites (and even my card blog(s)) I am CaptKirk42.

Glad I didn't call my self  Link McStinky.  :lol: :rofl:

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #212: July 12, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »
good stuff captkirk, you may have inspired me to get a white nats hat.

i have a red nats batting helmet.  makes the room stand out.

Thanks.
I've been thinking of getting a red batting helmet. Of course now I'll have to find a new Blue w/ Red bill batting helmet (or paint mine  :mg:)

As for hats I want to get:
The Green w/ White :w:
a Batting Practice style hat
a new Away Blue w/ Red bill cap.
Retro Expos hat
1924 style Throwback
Possibly one of the Gray w/Black or dark Gray

I haven't decided on the cameo styles.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #213: July 12, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »
yeah i'm with you on the throwback, i need to get that.  i can't recall where/when i got my helmet, but i think it was mlb.com or ebay.

interesting how you don't like the authentic fitted caps.  a lot of my friends are the same way (they like the curve/flexibility of the others). 

i watched one of your heritage blast pack vids, cool stuff.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #214: July 12, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »
yeah i'm with you on the throwback, i need to get that.  i can't recall where/when i got my helmet, but i think it was mlb.com or ebay.

interesting how you don't like the authentic fitted caps.  a lot of my friends are the same way (they like the curve/flexibility of the others). 

i watched one of your heritage blast pack vids, cool stuff.
I should clarify it isn't that I don't like the authentic fitted caps it is the team name instead of the MLB logo on the backs that I don't like (I thought I had ordered the ones w/the league Logo at the time). Unless you are referring to the flat billed caps (which I guess are fitted?) those I don't like never really have.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #215: July 12, 2012, 02:43:57 PM »
Unless you are referring to the flat billed caps (which I guess are fitted?) those I don't like never really have.

yeah that's what i was referring too.

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #216: December 26, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
For Christmas my brother and his wife got me one of these Natitude hats:
http://espn.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-13909758dt.jpg

They also gave me a White Nats coffee Mug that has the Curly W on one side and the Team Logo on the other.
http://c-product.images.dreamsretail.com/44-29/44-29858-Y.jpg

Offline codedandunited

« Reply #217: December 27, 2012, 02:05:54 AM »
I'm a New Era cap collector, and I've been collecting caps for about 14 years now and have roughly 130 On-Field Fitteds myself.  Going through the thread, I see a lot of questions are fairly old but I'm going to address some that I think can be still relevant today.

I hate the new 59fifty authentic hats that they make. I loved the old wool ones.
New Era does make reproductions for caps in 100% wool, albeit they are Chinese in construction but do not lack in the quality that 100% Polyester Chinese caps do.

CraniumFitteds also had a near full collection of On-Fields in 100% Wool construction, these are nearly identical to the older caps.  These caps have the flat embroidered batterman logo on the back, just like the ones pre-2007, and they also do not have the New Era flag embroidered on the side of the cap.  These two should be fairly identical if you were to stack an older cap and the reproduction side by side; in fact players do receive these caps for On-Field play if they prefer the 100% Wool construction.  Tommy Hunter is an example of this.
Pre-2007 On-Field Collection

Nationals caps:
Road Navy Blue from HatClub
Road Navy Blue from CraniumFitteds
Home Red from CraniumFitteds

Do they even make hats without the flag anymore? Can you remove the stitching to those little flags?

You mean gray under brim? The under brim would be a deal breaker. I think I'll order it and see how it comes out. The odds of them putting one out without the New Era flag seems slim.
You can definitely get them without the flag on the side, but if the flag is present it is extremely easy to remove with a thread remover; can be purchased for a few dollars.  I have removed the flags on several caps, and there is little to no evidence that it was ever there.  If a cap is 100% Wool, just get the area wet with warm water where the flag used to be, and the organic material will shrink slightly, removing any evidence that it was ever there.

When it comes to LIDS, they really don't care what the original underbrim looked like, they will generally order a cap to be made with the underbrim being the same as the top of the brim.

Son of a nag, I waited to order this and now it's gone.
Although that cap is sold out, you can get one of them from Mickey's Place.  The cap will have no batterman logo on the back, no New Era logo on the side, and should have the correct Kelly Green underbrim underneath.  They also have the Seattle Pilots too.
1987 Seattle Mariners from Mickey's Place
Seattle Pilots Mickey's Place

35 dollars for a plain ass white hat?

Whats the point?

I got this hat today. I am very pleased with it. Really love the American flag inside the W.

Also, I really want a 'DC' hat as well. If anyone has a decent link to find one it would be greatly appreciated.

(Picture Removed from Quote)
Unfortunately the D.C. cap is out of print and sold out most everywhere, but some LIDS around the country still have them, and of course there is ebay.  If you tell me your size I could look at the stores here in Las Vegas, I have a permanent 25% off with LIDS nation wide too.

Does anybody have a link for the 1924 hat they wore last night?  I don't mean the Cooperstown Collection, I'm looking for the 59fifty with the skinner W they wore on the field.
They are all currently sold out on most websites, but New Era's TBTC collection is no longer a limited time thing, these caps should be restocked year round as long as stores order them.  Nationals team store could have them stocked next year, and I wouldn't rule out HatClub in the future to bring them back.  Although you're not looking for a Cooperstown Collection, Mickey's Place up in Cooperstown does make spot on replicas, although the one you're asking for isn't present.

No, link?
I know this post is old, but HatClub recently re-released the On-Fields, but they are currently sold out.  On-Field Turn Back The Clock Fitteds are no longer exclusives though, and should be produced continuously throughout the year; made in USA too.

I do not own that specific cap, but instead I bought a more accurate version from Mickey's Place up in Cooperstown, NY.  It has no New Era logo on the side, no Batterman logo on the rear, and has a green underbrim.
Brooklyn Dodgers from Mickey's Place

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #218: December 27, 2012, 06:34:52 AM »
The 1924 hat is back on the MLB site if anyone is interested and 25% off.

Offline codedandunited

« Reply #219: December 27, 2012, 06:43:58 AM »
The 1924 hat is back on the MLB site if anyone is interested.
And 25% off until Dec. 31st!  Nice catch!

http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13147512

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #220: December 27, 2012, 06:49:07 AM »
By the way, I'm fairly certain Mickey's Place sells the MLB Coops on eBay (shipped) for less than the list price on their site. I've only bought two hats from them on eBay (1987 Mariners, 1957 Indians) but the quality was top notch, though the sizing was a bit off (early '90s New Era sizing was more generous). 

Who would you suggest I check with to get a 1991 Chicago Cubs New Era replica?

Offline codedandunited

« Reply #221: December 27, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
By the way, I'm fairly certain Mickey's Place sells the MLB Coops on eBay (shipped) for less than the list price on their site. I've only bought two hats from them on eBay (1987 Mariners, 1957 Indians) but the quality was top notch, though the sizing was a bit off (early '90s New Era sizing was more generous). 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 1991 Cubs caps should be the same as the ones currently worn today, right?  Or are you looking for one without the MLB logo on the back and a green underbrim?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #222: December 28, 2012, 06:58:02 AM »
Or are you looking for one without the MLB logo on the back and a green underbrim?

Correct.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #223: December 28, 2012, 10:59:27 AM »
Don't you need an EPA permit to possess those?

Offline codedandunited

« Reply #224: December 28, 2012, 10:22:18 PM »
Correct.
I did a little looking around, couldn't find anything solid yet.  I'll keep an eye out though.