Author Topic: Space. The Final Frontier.  (Read 75462 times)

Offline Roarin Storen

• #teamlocke
Re: Space. The Final Frontier.
« Reply #50: March 24, 2011, 06:21:21 PM »
Awesome thread!! Potential ASTR minor (have taken 2 courses, not sure how for I want to go). One of those courses was "Collisions in Space" which was incredible.

My fav object in the solar system besides Earth is Europa. I am confident it has life and I wish both Europa and Titan had the funding allocations to get missions underway SOON. The technology for Europa's drill is under way but I know nothing is set in stone for the mission itself (which got the go-ahead over Titan but still). It'll take 7 yrs to get there, so if this thing takes 10 years to happen it could be like 25 years until we see what becomes of Europa. Therefore; sooner please!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #51: March 29, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »
Messenger's first image of Mercury (click for full size)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #52: March 29, 2011, 07:10:05 PM »
Messenger's first image of Mercury (click for full size)

That deal is HOT!!!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #53: March 29, 2011, 07:14:29 PM »
 :icon_question:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #54: March 29, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #55: April 26, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »
SETI is closing down it's radio telescope array.  W.  T.  F.

"Effective this week, the [Allen Telescope Array] has been placed into hibernation due to funding shortfalls for operations of the Hat Creek Radio Observatory where the [array] is located," wrote SETI Institute CEO Tom Pierson, in an open letter sent late last week to project donors. "Unfortunately, today's government budgetary environment is very difficult, and new solutions must be found."

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216189/SETI_hunt_for_alien_life_put_on_hold?taxonomyId=12

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #56: April 26, 2011, 11:32:43 PM »
Is that the place by Snowshoe, WV?

[edit: never mind: found--and read--the link]

SETI is closing down it's radio telescope array.  W.  T.  F.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216189/SETI_hunt_for_alien_life_put_on_hold?taxonomyId=12

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #57: April 26, 2011, 11:35:23 PM »
Space budgets (manned space, anyways) are freaked everywhere, save maybe China. 

Offline Coladar

« Reply #58: April 27, 2011, 02:34:17 AM »
Holy crap. I keep up with Astronomy news incredibly closely, and I hadn't heard any rumblings about SETI. I think it's offensive as a species for us to be such a bunch of... The word doesn't come to mind. To cut SETI? Just as we are finding THOUSANDS of planets? Wtf? What a shortsighted, sad little species we are.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #59: April 27, 2011, 03:21:22 AM »
Why do want to try to find aliens anyway? They might want to eat us or something. Also, why do they assume that aliens can even send and receive signals through space? If aliens exist, they probably aren't hyper advanced benign beings that want to share technology and have sex with humans, like they seem to be hoping for.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #60: April 27, 2011, 04:05:44 AM »
Why do want to try to find aliens anyway? They might want to eat us or something. Also, why do they assume that aliens can even send and receive signals through space? If aliens exist, they probably aren't hyper advanced benign beings that want to share technology and have sex with humans, like they seem to be hoping for.

I get this is 99% sarcasm, but for those that might not know any better, obviously it would be impossible to communicate with any alien intelligence found using SETI. It would just be looking for proof aliens exist, searching for alien radio waves. For example, if aliens had their own SETI project, they'd likely detect us by watching television of Hitler, as the Germans had some of the first TV broadcasts, or they might watch an I Love Lucy episode, right from the radio signal it aired sixty years ago. If they detected a signal from Earth today from 1943, and sent a message to us, it wouldn't get here until 2078. So we wouldn't be communicating, so much as sending massive data bursts of our entire histories and technologies that took decades to reach each other. As far as finding aliens? Well, all the radio signals we sent out, if aliens are looking to eat a planet, we are already the prime candidate. This is simply to find aliens. If they're looking for us, we are already screwed.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #61: April 27, 2011, 07:51:52 AM »
I trust the aliens.  I saw in their library they had a book, "How to Serve Humans."

Offline Nathan

« Reply #62: August 16, 2011, 11:21:57 PM »
So I was just watching [adult swim].  In one of the bumps, it said that Fox has greenlit a follow up series to Carl Sagan's Cosmos series, 12 (?) episodes.  Produced by Sagan's wife and hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson!!!!!  (PA :razz:)

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #63: August 16, 2011, 11:28:53 PM »
Pale Blue Dot is probably the most surreal thing ever

(Image removed from quote.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

Awesome youtube video with Sagan and Earth.

On the wikipedia page, if you go to the background, the spacecraft's time in space has been updated to the day (August 16th)... who the hell edits that every day?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #64: August 16, 2011, 11:42:07 PM »
On the wikipedia page, if you go to the background, the spacecraft's time in space has been updated to the day (August 16th)... who the hell edits that every day?

I hope its some txt code that adds a day.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #65: August 16, 2011, 11:44:49 PM »
Just saw the bump again, 13 episodes.  I can't wait!  I love science and space shows.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #66: August 16, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »
Found this to be rather interesting.

NASA satellite data from the years 2000 through 2011 show the Earth's atmosphere is allowing far more heat to be released into space than alarmist computer models have predicted, reports a new study in the peer-reviewed science journal Remote Sensing. The study indicates far less future global warming will occur than United Nations computer models have predicted, and supports prior studies indicating increases in atmospheric carbon dioxide trap far less heat than alarmists have claimed.

http://news.yahoo.com/nasa-data-blow-gaping-hold-global-warming-alarmism-192334971.html

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #69: August 17, 2011, 12:24:41 AM »
I wasn't even looking at it from a political stand point, but OK. No harm no foul.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #70: August 17, 2011, 12:27:44 AM »
I wasn't even looking at it from a political stand point, but OK. No harm no foul.

Nah, I agree. I think the article is pretty interesting. I just feel that the topic is debated heavily between both political groups that it could maybe spark into a debate in this thread.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #71: August 17, 2011, 12:31:48 AM »
Nah, I agree. I think the article is pretty interesting. I just feel that the topic is debated heavily between both political groups that it could maybe spark into a debate in this thread.

Fair enough. Won't hurt my feelings any if it's moved :D

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #72: August 17, 2011, 12:40:10 AM »
Fair enough. Won't hurt my feelings any if it's moved :D

ditto.  It's bad science (IMHO). :)

BTW, the space station passed over D.C. tonight at 9:21, i'd assume you would have to find a pretty dark spot to see it.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #73: August 17, 2011, 07:40:04 AM »
Even though these deal with space, I feel they belong in the politics thread.

Nope, science should NEVER be politicized. It's the fool-ass politicians that are causing the problem. Let's discuss like civilized human beings, instead.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #74: August 17, 2011, 07:40:51 AM »
ditto.  It's bad science (IMHO). :)

BTW, the space station passed over D.C. tonight at 9:21, i'd assume you would have to find a pretty dark spot to see it.

I've seen it in Houston, so no :lol: It looks like a white light.