Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 88170 times)

Online HalfSmokes

So they also had bat skills and some knowledge of the strike zone.

You can't steal first base, as they say... and I think you're undervaluing the ability to reach first when you look at Reyes/Crawford.

Speed helps- how many singles do they get that are outs for an Adam Dunn, how much is their SLG boosted by legging out extra bases that are singles for slower players?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
In High A he did. Not so much this year. 24 strike outs to just 12 walks. Still walking at a 10% rate, but he's clearly striking out a lot too.

For the season he has 64 walks and 64 K's... so he's even. Still, that's very good, especially when he's hitting .346.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=598265

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
JBJ never should have slid as far as he did.

I wouldn't trade Morse or LaRoche. Our lineup is anemic enough as is.

Uh ... not really. It's average. Morse right now is a singles hitter and LaRoche is his typical .265 25 homer self. If Morse returns to power, then quite simply, he's a better hitter than LaRoche and we need him out of the outfield and at first base. So you add a guy who can get on base and score from first on an extra base hit and we get an offensive boost as well as a defensive improvement.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Not all luck. Aging effects quickness and speed much more than any other physical abilities. As we get older/stronger we develop those muscle groups which diminish of our speed/quickness.

My point was that Crawford and Reyes both possessed the contact hitting tool, and both had decent batting eyes.  It was bum luck that both of them forgot how to hit.

Online Slateman

For the season he has 64 walks and 64 K's... so he's even. Still, that's very good, especially when he's hitting .346.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=598265

Whoops ... mis-read fangraphs. thought that Single A was last year.

He has an absurdly high BABIP right now (like over .400). Even for a speed guy, I don't see that staying.

Who knows, if the Red Sox are dumb enough to trade Ellsbury, I'm definitely on board. We'd get him for this year and next year. After that, I expect Goodwin to be ready.

Online HalfSmokes

My point was that Crawford and Reyes both possessed the contact hitting tool, and both had decent batting eyes.  It was bum luck that both of them forgot how to hit.

When is the last high SB guy (poor, but rough proxy for the type of player we're talking about) free agent to work out- Ichiro if you want to cobsider him a free agent?

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Can we get over Span? The guy just isn't that good. His OPS isn't very good and certainly not worth trading for.

We're perpetually worrying about our outfield situation but it isn't bad as of this season. Harper and Morse have two spots locked down and the third sport we have a more than serviceable rotation consisting of Tyler Moore and Steve Lombardozzi with Ankiel and Bernadina sprinkled in at times. With Jayson Werth on the mend you have a deep outfield if he starts hitting well.

No to Span. If a move is made for a center fielder then it must be someone who is a clear upgrade.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Uh ... not really. It's average. Morse right now is a singles hitter and LaRoche is his typical .265 25 homer self. If Morse returns to power, then quite simply, he's a better hitter than LaRoche and we need him out of the outfield and at first base. So you add a guy who can get on base and score from first on an extra base hit and we get an offensive boost as well as a defensive improvement.

It's not average for playoff teams, which is who we should be comparing ourselves to.

Anyway, I disagree with this trade.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Can we get over Span? The guy just isn't that good. His OPS isn't very good and certainly not worth trading for.

Why do you need a high OPS out of your leadoff hitter? You want OBP. Which, at .340... Span clearly has.

Online Slateman

We're perpetually worrying about our outfield situation but it isn't bad as of this season. Harper and Morse have two spots locked down and the third sport we have a more than serviceable rotation consisting of Tyler Moore and Steve Lombardozzi with Ankiel and Bernadina sprinkled in at times. With Jayson Werth on the mend you have a deep outfield if he starts hitting well.

No to Span. If a move is made for a center fielder then it must be someone who is a clear upgrade.

Denard Span is a clear upgrade over Lombardozzi.

He's top 10 amongst CFers in WAR, OBP, DRS and UZR. His OPS is .720 which is better than Lombardozzi's. It's better than Lombo's split against righties even.

Span is a clear upgrade. Oh and he hits .278/.340/.380 in the leadoff spot, compared to Lombo's .248/.295/.322

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Denard Span is a clear upgrade over Lombardozzi.

He's top 10 amongst CFers in WAR, OBP, DRS and UZR. His OPS is .720 which is better than Lombardozzi's. It's better than Lombo's split against righties even.

Span is a clear upgrade. Oh and he hits .278/.340/.380 in the leadoff spot, compared to Lombo's .248/.295/.322

Lombardozzi is a temporary player. When Werth returns, it's not a sure thing that we want Span playing over Morse, Harper, or Werth. Morse is making contact and earned the benefit of the doubt with his performance last year. Harper is the future. Jayson Werth was hitting well (OPS+ of 121) before his injury. Span just isn't a big enough difference maker to shove any of those guys to the bench.

If we decided to move LaRoche (which I would disgaree with), then yes bring on Span. At this point we don't have the prospects to trade for a guy who would possibly just be place-holding until Werth gets back in the lineup, which should be August.

Online Slateman

Lombardozzi is a temporary player. When Werth returns, it's not a sure thing that we want Span playing over Morse, Harper, or Werth. Morse is making contact and earned the benefit of the doubt with his performance last year. Harper is the future. Jayson Werth was hitting well (OPS+ of 121) before his injury. Span just isn't a big enough difference maker to shove any of those guys to the bench.

If we decided to move LaRoche (which I would disgaree with), then yes bring on Span. At this point we don't have the prospects to trade for a guy who would possibly just be place-holding until Werth gets back in the lineup, which should be August.

Trade LaRoche, who is gone at the end of the season. Get something for him now.

Harper/Span/Werth is a great outfield. Morse gets back to first, where he belongs. We straight platoon Lomboardozzi and Espinosa at second. Offensive improvement, or, at worst, we stay league average but have tremendous upgrade defensively.

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022

Harper/Span/Werth is a great outfield. Morse gets back to first, where he belongs. We straight platoon Lomboardozzi and Espinosa at second. Offensive improvement, or, at worst, we stay league average but have tremendous upgrade defensively.
I would agree with that. Question is if you find a trade that makes moving LaRoche worth it.

Online Slateman

Do we get  a draft pick for LaRoche if he goes somewhere else?

Online HalfSmokes

if we offer him enough money

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
When is the last high SB guy (poor, but rough proxy for the type of player we're talking about) free agent to work out- Ichiro if you want to cobsider him a free agent?

Still don't know what that has to do with my point that you miscast Crawford and Reyes as their only tool being speed.

Online HalfSmokes

Still don't know what that has to do with my point that you miscast Crawford and Reyes as their only tool being speed.

Where did I say only? It certainly is their primary tool - do you think a defensive left fielder with high OBP, but no power is getting a $100+ contract otherwise?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

I don't think so -- it's an option, so there's no way to offer arbitration. Not sure of the new CBA rules, but I'm not sure if he'd even be eligible as a Type A or B

Online blue911

Ah... I was saying that there was more to it that that. Both are at least 3 tool players (I think Reyes is has far superior value) but the speed tool is temporary.

Online Slateman

We should trade for Stanton :lol:

Offline Hogie

You're not going to get anything of value for LaRoche right now and it would be ridiculous to remove a 25-30 HR bat from our lineup when we're contenders now. Not unless you then want to go get another legit bat, like Upton or something.

Also, look at his career splits. He clearly gets better as the year goes on. His numbers go up every month through August, where they peak. Everyone knew he's a slow starter and a second half player. Well, what if he puts up an even better second half than his first half this year?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=larocad01&year=Career&t=b#month

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Disagree. We're playing for this season. We're buyers, not sellers.

Online Slateman

Disagree. We're playing for this season. We're buyers, not sellers.

lol, no we're not. If we were playing for this season, we wouldn't be talking about shutting Strasburg down.

We're playing for the next ten years.

Online aspenbubba

Not necessarily true. I have read it is a mutual option or team option. I like him here next year.