Author Topic: Nats and the 2012 Non-Waiver Trade deadline watch  (Read 90415 times)

Offline Kentucky_National

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
Rangers get Dempster and Nats do nada

Guess we should just cancel the season then. :hang:

Offline Obed_Marsh

with Harper at Catcher. ;)

jk

Your 2014 Washington Nationals...

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Save this for when we're swept by the Dodgers in the NLDS dude.

I think you mean the one game Wild Card play in.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
I wouldn't be upset with adding Dempster, but he was really the only starter that was out there. I mean who else did you want us to go after? The Marlins weren't going to give us Sanchez or JJ.

I would've tried to grab Dempster or Garza.

Offline hammondsnats

pathetic

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Then you are only let down because you choose to be let down and are influenced by the media. What GLARING holes to we have besides catcher? The problem is there isn't really a market out there for catchers. Our bullpen is fine, our rotation is fine (sans Stras getting shut down), but still. We're honestly fine.

I also happen to disagree that we're "fine."  I think that LaRoche has been good but that we can do better.  How about OF?  Is Werth going to really make that all better?  How about a starter for when we shut down Strasburg?  H-Rod's still onteh 25-man roster, we can't find a homeless guy to take his place? 

Our serious competition - Reds, Pirates, Dodgers, Giants and Braves all got better.  We did nothing.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Rumor is Dempster is going to the Yankees.  Gee, a first place team willing to improve - even though the have the league's best record and a 6.5 game lead.  Must be nice.

MLB TV reporting Dempster to Texas.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
So. Giants, Dodgers, Reds, Braves, Pirates all have made moves.

Don't make a move just for the sake of making one... but if there's any chance of snagging a catcher, I hope Rizzo takes the plunge. Provided the price tag isn't high.

Every team we're going to face in the playoffs just got better while we stood still, I thought that the owner's kid said that Rizzo had money to spend. We're the best team in the league but hardly dominant, we needed to get the better. These guys are so hard wired to save up for the future that they have no killer instinct to strike when a championship is within reach.

Offline BigMeech

I think you mean the one game Wild Card play in.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  In that case, save that video for when we lost to the PIRATES in the wildcard game.

Offline sportsfan882

Oh well. Shocked we didn't grab a catcher at the minimum.

Lets sweep Philly

Offline hammondsnats

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  In that case, save that video for when we lost to the PIRATES in the wildcard game.

with our #4/#5 starters (in september) and our inept catchers we may not make the wild card.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

:panic:

Offline hammondsnats

Oh well. Shocked we didn't grab a catcher at the minimum.

oh you're loving it.  you get to see your boy flores continue to struggle 8)

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
with our #4/#5 starters and our inept catchers we may not make the wild card.
Again, I'm willing to make a bet on this. I'll even give you 20 days to my 30 days.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future

:panic:

That's exactly what we should do.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
meh.  I don't think there was much out there that really could have made that much of a difference and not hurt us in the next few years down the road.

This team is built for the now and the future.  Live with it.

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
I also happen to disagree that we're "fine."  I think that LaRoche has been good but that we can do better.  How about OF?  Is Werth going to really make that all better?  How about a starter for when we shut down Strasburg?  H-Rod's still onteh 25-man roster, we can't find a homeless guy to take his place? 

Our serious competition - Reds, Pirates, Dodgers, Giants and Braves all got better.  We did nothing.

We can do better than LaRoche? The guy who leads ALL NL 1B in homeruns? Really? And OF? Yeah Werth will be better. He was on pace, like someone else had said, to have an Adam Dunn type comeback season. Yes I think Werth is better than Shane Victorino who sucks this year. And Hunter Pence would never get traded from Philly to here.

And as for Stras, it's going to be Lannan, most likely. He did fine when he was up here against the Braves, and owns the Braves throughout his career (who as you point out are our biggest competition).

And great those teams HAD to get better (to hang with us). Like Davey said you don't want to sacrifice the farm for 1 month of a SP. That's like 4 or 5 starts at most.

Also those teams that you mentioned are all pretty streaky. Especially the Reds. It's taken them a 10 game winning streak to match us. The Nats have been consistent ALL YEAR long. We haven't gone on a ridiculous winning streak, and we haven't went on any crazy losing streak (like ATL has and LAD). We're the best team in the National League, and if you fail to see that then I'm sorry. But then again you guys complaining about the deadline are also the ones in the GDT who say the season is over or that we have no shot at a WS after every loss.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Rumor now that the Yankees went at got Casey McGehee fromt he Brewers.  Will be announced as a deadline deal.

Offline BigMeech

Just realized that people were saying "don't trade the future" yet Desmond, Espinosa, Zimmerman, Zimmermann, Strasburg, GIO, Harper, Ramos, Lombardozzi, Storen, Clippard, and Moore are all under 30.

Not sure where the un-tradable "future" fits in when the future is already on the field for the foreseeable future.  It's not like we're the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies here in terms of age.

• BANG ZOOM
    • My Twitter
meh.  I don't think there was much out there that really could have made that much of a difference and not hurt us in the next few years down the road.

Exactly!

Offline Obed_Marsh

Well this thread was a waste of 75 pages. :?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Yuck.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

Sanity!

:clap:

Offline houston-nat

BigMeech is a Bernadina shot away from being outed as hammondsnats' alternate account.
hammonds doesn't use caps.

Offline NatMan

I am ok with our team....high price for rentals is not the way to win longterm.   Are pitching staff is still much better then anyones elses and while we are week at catcher I sense a Pudge return.