Poll

Management Override: How will Ted Lerner react to the NLDS loss?

Fire or trade manager Matt Williams.
1 (8.3%)
Insist that Drew Storen be traded.
0 (0%)
Insist on acquiring another closer.
0 (0%)
Agree to re-sign Asdrubal Cabrera, at great cost.
1 (8.3%)
Insist on acquiring a big bat, someone who should hit in the playoffs.
1 (8.3%)
A combination of the above.
1 (8.3%)
Something else - to be added to the poll here.
0 (0%)
Ted Lerner will stay out of it; rely on GM Mike Rizzo to improve the team.
8 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: POLL: Management Override: How will Ted Lerner react to the NLDS loss?  (Read 368 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

On a somewhat related note, I'd love to hear what Mark or Ted have to say about all this.

"Owner Ted Lerner, one person familiar with the negotiations said, was heavily involved in bringing Soriano to Washington. The sides reached a two-year, $28 million contract, which makes Soriano the highest-paid reliever in baseball during the 2013 season. The contract also includes a $14 million option for 2015 that will vest if Soriano finished 120 games combined over the 2013 and 2014 seasons."

Ted Lerner will be 89 years old in 2015. Ted Lerner was determined after 2012 that the Nationals would not be knocked out of the playoffs again by another Drew Storen meltdown. Lerner HAS to be thinking about what he should do now that we've been bounced out early again in 2014.

My opinion: I think Matt Williams has to admit that he made major mistakes in the playoffs, to convince Ted Lerner that they won't be repeated in another playoff appearance. But Williams kept insisting that Aaron Barrett was "our 7th inning guy", even though Drew Storen held that job for most of the season. (Barrett was sent back down to the minors for much of the season.) If Matt Williams cannot swallow his pride and take major responsibility for the loss, he could be gone, at Lerner's insistence.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

Ted Lerner was determined after 2012 that the Nationals would not be knocked out of the playoffs again by another Drew Storen meltdown.

How's that workin' for ya, Ted?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
My opinion: I think Matt Williams has to admit that he made major mistakes in the playoffs, to convince Ted Lerner that they won't be repeated in another playoff appearance. But Williams kept insisting that Aaron Barrett was "our 7th inning guy", even though Drew Storen held that job for most of the season. (Barrett was sent back down to the minors for much of the season.) If Matt Williams cannot swallow his pride and take major responsibility for the loss, he could be gone, at Lerner's insistence.

Aaron Barrett. 2014. 10 appearances at Syracuse. 50 for the Washington Nationals.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=barret001aar

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Stop smoking the pipe.  Williams isn't going anywhere this year and Ted Lerner is not Dan Snyder.