Author Topic: Attendance Discussion  (Read 1413 times)

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Re: Attendance Discussion
« Reply #25: October 07, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »
Very few sportswriters do any other kind of writing besides sports. They're kind of a breed unto themselves in journalism.

Isn't Chico Harlan a regular reporter at the Post now? I think I remember him saying he hated sports when he was covering the Nationals in 2009 :lol:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #26: October 07, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »
Isn't Chico Harlan a regular reporter at the Post now? I think I remember him saying he hated sports when he was covering the Nationals in 2009 :lol:

Yes, I think you're right. He might have hated the Nats beat job...the baseball beat job is particularly grueling because of all the travel.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: October 07, 2014, 03:16:38 PM »
I think he had a series of glowing stories about Fukushima as the post's Japan correspondent.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: October 07, 2014, 03:17:26 PM »
I think he had a series of glowing stories about Fukushima as the post's Japan correspondent.

:funny:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #29: October 07, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »
The tool who wrote the below article is getting shredded a new one in the comment section. And rightfully so.

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/sports/people-who-left-saturdays-nationals-game-before-the-end-are-bad-fans.php

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: October 07, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »
The tool who wrote the below article is getting shredded a new one in the comment section. And rightfully so.

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/sports/people-who-left-saturdays-nationals-game-before-the-end-are-bad-fans.php

I left after 13 because I'd taken my wife and kids, and they were freezing despite us all having light jackets.  Our seats were in 229, directly in the blast of the wind whipping around.  Temperature when we left - 53, wind chill 39.

If I don't leave then I've lost them all to ever wanting to come back. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #31: October 07, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
Did you make it home in time to watch the ending?

Offline vernon337

Re: Re: National League Division Series, Game 2
« Reply #32: October 07, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »
Case in point: in the 2014 regular-season attendance (http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct - sorted by percentage of ground capacity sold), bringing up the rear were two charter (1901) members of the American League.

That great Phillies fan base -- attendance has dropped by more than a million since 2009.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #33: October 07, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »

If I don't leave then I've lost them all to ever wanting to come back. 

A smart man who sees the big picture.

The couple we went with left early because the woman was woefully under dressed. She was literally shivering. Her s.o. decided that in the long term it was probably best to take her home. Smart man just like you.

And then Sunday morning I get on this damn board, and the first thing I read is the predictable ninny talk about the lack of loyalty by Nats fans. :devil:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #34: October 07, 2014, 04:53:25 PM »
A smart man who sees the big picture.

The couple we went with left early because the woman was woefully under dressed. She was literally shivering. Her s.o. decided that in the long term it was probably best to take her home. Smart man just like you.

And then Sunday morning I get on this damn board, and the first thing I read is the predictable ninny talk about the lack of loyalty by Nats fans. :devil:

Right, half of whom weren't even there for 1 inning.    :roll:

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #35: October 07, 2014, 04:54:59 PM »
Right, half of whom weren't even there for 1 inning.    :roll:

And the people who were there should know better. It was effin coooollllldddd.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #36: October 07, 2014, 05:06:37 PM »
And the people who were there should know better. It was effin coooollllldddd.

I thought I was doing good to make everyone take a jacket.  We didn't even put them on till the 3rd inning, but by the 8th or so were getting chilled.  My hat blew off my head once and went three rows back.  By the 12th we needed to find a warmer spot and moved around to the 3rd base side but the concourses were packed with probably others doing the same thing.  We found a small spot behind a row of seats for an inning, it was warm but we were forced to stand right up against the folks in front of us, and then the usher moved us out.

That's when I got the evil eye and knew it was time to head out.

I'd have stayed if solo, would have found a way to sneak into the Club level probably but with 4 of us wasn't an option.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #37: October 07, 2014, 05:24:18 PM »
Given where the Post is headed, it's only a matter of time before Richard Cohen is writing restaurant reviews and Tom Sietsema covers the foreign news desk. 

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #38: October 09, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #39: October 09, 2014, 07:30:26 PM »

I remember seeing some article he wrote about cultural politics and wondering why the hell he wasn't a food critic already.