Poll

What was more controversial?

Shutting down Strasburg before the NLDS?
2 (8%)
Pulling Zimmerman in the 9th in Game 2 of the NLDS with 2 outs and a 1 run lead?
7 (28%)
Putting in Barret in game 4 in the 7th instead of Clippard
15 (60%)
Not signing Prince Fielder
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: November 05, 2014, 10:24:36 AM

Author Topic: Most Controversial Decision in Nationals History  (Read 2139 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

Wearing the red jerseys on Friday, Monday and Tuesday.

Offline rbw5t

To me, most "controversial" means which decision generated the greatest amount "controversy", i.e., debate/discussion/argument, etc.  That would be the Stras shutdown, which of course has already been talked about way more than the other cjoices.  I think what we're really voting on is what we think was the WORST decision.

To me, it's the managing of the 7th inning last night.  Barrett rather than Clip is one of those mistakes, as was not getting Bear out of the sooner when it was clear he was off.  But the biggest one, the one that is completely inexcusable to me, was letting Thornton face Posey.  Horrendous decision/reaction to a completely foreseeable situation.

Offline DPMOmaha

To me, most "controversial" means which decision generated the greatest amount "controversy", i.e., debate/discussion/argument, etc.  That would be the Stras shutdown, which of course has already been talked about way more than the other cjoices.  I think what we're really voting on is what we think was the WORST decision.

To me, it's the managing of the 7th inning last night.  Barrett rather than Clip is one of those mistakes, as was not getting Bear out of the sooner when it was clear he was off.  But the biggest one, the one that is completely inexcusable to me, was letting Thornton face Posey.  Horrendous decision/reaction to a completely foreseeable situation.
Not sure it was that foreseeable. Being the last lefty in the pen, I get why he should have stayed in. Things got screwed up when Panik singled. He needed to get those first two lefties out. In hindsight, i'd have rather flipped Clipp and Thornton. Clipp's been murder on righties and solid vs. lefties. Perfect world, we use Clip for 4 outs, bring in Thornton to turn around Sandoval with Belt and Crawford behind him.

Offline rbw5t

Not sure it was that foreseeable. Being the last lefty in the pen, I get why he should have stayed in. Things got screwed up when Panik singled. He needed to get those first two lefties out. In hindsight, i'd have rather flipped Clipp and Thornton. Clipp's been murder on righties and solid vs. lefties. Perfect world, we use Clip for 4 outs, bring in Thornton to turn around Sandoval with Belt and Crawford behind him.

Sure, we would have liked Thornton to get out both lefties, but it is of course foreseeable that he might not.  You always know that one out two hitters (or even both!) might reach.  I agree having Clip start the inning would have been a good approach too.  But once you start with Thornton, you almost certainly don't let him face Posey, and certianly not once someone has reached.  Have to start the inning with a righty hot.

Offline DPMOmaha

Sure, we would have liked Thornton to get out both lefties, but it is of course foreseeable that he might not.  You always know that one out two hitters (or even both!) might reach.  I agree having Clip start the inning would have been a good approach too.  But once you start with Thornton, you almost certainly don't let him face Posey, and certianly not once someone has reached.  Have to start the inning with a righty hot.
This was the biggest mistake, IMO, not leaving Thornton in. He wasn't prepared for every moderately possible scenario. If he'd have gotten Panik out, I'd have left him in through Sandoval.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
the 7th also points out the questionable decision to leave det off the roster.  if you are gogin to try to match up against that line up, then you need a lefty - righty - lefty for that stretch.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I'm going with taking Drew Storen over Mike Trout (20/20 hindsight thingy).

Offline BigMeech

I'm going with taking Drew Storen over Mike Trout (20/20 hindsight thingy).

We'd probably have two rings by now.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
We'd probably have two rings by now.

Three...