Poll

What was more controversial?

Shutting down Strasburg before the NLDS?
2 (8%)
Pulling Zimmerman in the 9th in Game 2 of the NLDS with 2 outs and a 1 run lead?
7 (28%)
Putting in Barret in game 4 in the 7th instead of Clippard
15 (60%)
Not signing Prince Fielder
1 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: November 05, 2014, 10:24:36 AM

Author Topic: Most Controversial Decision in Nationals History  (Read 2138 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Most Controversial Decision in Nationals History
« Topic Start: October 06, 2014, 11:24:36 AM »
What will we talk more about in 2025?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Most Controversial Decision in Nationals History
« Reply #1: October 06, 2014, 11:41:25 AM »
Not trading Soriano or Dunn.

Great offseason thread, this can wait for tomorrow.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: October 06, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Not trading Soriano or Dunn.

Great offseason thread, this can wait for tomorrow November.
Fixed

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: October 06, 2014, 12:48:03 PM »
Berkman swung.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #4: October 06, 2014, 01:04:35 PM »
When I had the chorizo (spicy sausage) and peppers during the 2005 inaugural game. Let's just say I had to miss a couple of innings.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #5: October 06, 2014, 01:05:05 PM »
When I had the chorizo (spicy sausage) and peppers during the 2005 inaugural game. Let's just say I had to miss a couple of innings.
:rofl:

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #6: October 06, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
This haunts Williams forever. (and Storen) (and us)...unless we win the next 3 games.   :|

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #7: October 06, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »
This haunts Williams forever. (and Storen) (and us)...unless we win the next 3 games.   :|

I think Storen is just damaged goods at this point.  He'll get traded or cut, latch on somewhere else, find his motivation and become a great reliever.  This organization freaked him up good.

Offline expos1994

« Reply #8: October 06, 2014, 02:50:31 PM »
Storen was great this year. He's already a good reliever. I say he stays with the Nats.

The fact is Storen plain sucks when he doesn't start with a fresh inning. I don't know why but when he comes in with runners on base... he always gives up the run.

Online nfotiu

« Reply #9: October 06, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »
If Williams had left Zimmermann in for another guy to get on base or worse, there would have been even more pitch forks out for him.  He pulled him at the right time.  The only question is whether he should have been pulled him sooner.  It really shouldn't even be controversial.  Zimmermann had some good pitches against that last batter, but he also air mailed one high and grooved one that was hit in the upper deck only a few feet foul.

Offline aspenbubba

I think Storen is just damaged goods at this point.  He'll get traded or cut, latch on somewhere else, find his motivation and become a great reliever.  This organization freaked him up good.

No one in the organization screwed Storen up. It is all on him to fix. Soriano was acquired for the right reasons. Too bad he crapt the bed while he was here. Earlier in the season Storen blew a save and I said to my brother that is why he isn't the closer. He maybe just a 7 th inning guy since we have an 8th in Clip.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
No one in the organization screwed Storen up. It is all on him to fix. Soriano was acquired for the right reasons. Too bad he crapt the bed while he was here. Earlier in the season Storen blew a save and I said to my brother that is why he isn't the closer. He maybe just a 7 th inning guy since we have an 8th in Clip.

Storen didn't blow any saves during the year

Offline More of #34

Nine times out of 10, MW's decision to pull JZ is the right one.  But somehow I can't stop thinking that had he given him one more batter, we'd be in a much much better place today.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Nine times out of 10, MW's decision to pull JZ is the right one.  But somehow I can't stop thinking that had he given him one more batter, we'd be in a much much better place today.

Ha are you friggin kidding? This is DC Sports - Posey would have deposited that ball in the left field bleachers

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

The fact that you cite Soriano shows that you don't understand.  If they had signed "In-His-Prime" Trevor Hoffman or Mariano Rivera, then yes.  Soriano was no more qualified a closer than Storen.

Offline More of #34

We'll never know, will we, wpa2629?

Online nfotiu

Ha are you friggin kidding? This is DC Sports - Posey would have deposited that ball in the left field bleachers

Well, given the benefit of a time machine, I'd go back and leave him in.  A Posey HR would not have been a worse result, so it is worth the risk :-)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
We'll never know, will we, wpa2629?

Nope sure won't - but I know how our luck has been!

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Well, given the benefit of a time machine, I'd go back and leave him in.  A Posey HR would not have been a worse result, so it is worth the risk :-)

certainly would have been less time consuming

Offline HalfSmokes

Should be drafting a reliever in the first round

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Should be drafting a reliever in the first round

Isn't that what got us Storen?

Offline Clever

Offline aspenbubba

Storen didn't blow any saves during the year

`

OK , he blew a hold for his loss. He gave up 4 straight hits last night and tonight.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
`

OK , he blew a hold for his loss. He gave up 4 straight hits last night and tonight.

Meh - then got three outs  :shrug: