Author Topic: Tim Donaghy's book  (Read 635 times)

Offline PatsNats28

Tim Donaghy's book
« Topic Start: October 28, 2009, 09:12:43 PM »
The book got cancelled, basically because the NBA bought it out so we wouldn't know the ugly truth. Here are some excerpts:

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

read the whole thing, it's worth it.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Tim Donaghy's book
« Reply #1: October 28, 2009, 09:14:56 PM »
I'd rather read Jack Donaghy's book.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: October 28, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
:lmao:

thats awesome. i wish this book got published.

« Reply #3: October 28, 2009, 10:16:59 PM »
Sounds like the Super Troopers of Major League Sports. This would have been an interesting read.

Star stoppers hurt the promotion of marquee players.

Sounds pretty much like all sports leagues. :roll:

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #4: October 28, 2009, 10:49:01 PM »
was just coming to post about this. apparently i am too slow. :rofl:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #5: October 28, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »
just finished reading the excerpts, and I will say that this is part of why I don't watch the NBA.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #6: October 28, 2009, 11:01:07 PM »
just finished reading the excerpts, and I will say that this is part of why I don't watch the NBA.
QFT. I'd love to read that book. Looks interesting as hell.

NBA is corrupt as crap. A shame they didn't release it to the public.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #7: October 28, 2009, 11:02:04 PM »

i mean i bet some of this stuff happens in baseball/football too. not like the "who can call a technical first?" game, but favoring stars, etc.

plus the teams in your market suck... i mean, the knicks or the nets? great choices :lol:

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #8: October 28, 2009, 11:06:15 PM »
i mean i bet some of this stuff happens in baseball/football too. not like the "who can call a technical first?" game, but favoring stars, etc.

plus the teams in your market suck... i mean, the knicks or the nets? great choices :lol:

I'm in DC........

and yeah perhaps some stuff happens in the NFL and MLB...but not anywhere near on the level of the NBA. the NBA is the most blatantly rigged league in all of sports. everything about the league suffers, all for the sake of marketing the top 5-10 players in the league in order to make more money on merch sales.

what's really sad about it though, is that Basketball die-hards refuse to see and admit it. or they see it, but make excuses for it. if there is rigging in MLB and NFL, outside of a few isolated incidents (Tuck rule, etc.), the rigging is very subtle and debatable.  in the NBA is just ridiculously blatant and obvious, and nobody cares.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #9: October 28, 2009, 11:08:23 PM »
It wasn't just one ref. It was all of them, even the respected ones like Bavetta, Javie, etc.

More corrupt than I could ever even imagine.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #10: October 28, 2009, 11:19:48 PM »
and the thing is, in the NBA, officials have an enormous impact on the game - more than any other sport. in baseball umps have different strike zones but are generally the same and players can overcome a missed call or two because that doesn't always lead to a run. in hockey the team can kill PPs. in football teams can make stands or whatever. in the NBA, the refs can essentially give teams points by calling tons of fouls. the other team can't do anything about it once the guy is on the line.

im not surprised so many officials are corrupt like this. just another reason why that league is a joke.

SF, are you gonna start betting on games with the refs who hate/love AI? :lmao:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: October 28, 2009, 11:25:11 PM »
don't forget corrupt scorers

http://deadspin.com/5336974/an-assist-for-nick-van-exel-how-an-nba-scorekeeper-cooked-the-books

Partly because I disagreed with the blatant stat manipulation (that I did) and partly because I'm a Laker fan, I gave Nick Van Exel like 23 assists one game. If he was vaguely close to a guy making a shot, I found a way to give him an assist. Afterwards, I fully expected someone to talk to me about it. Indeed they did. A senior management guy - "great job Alex, that'll get this game on Sportscenter tomorrow morning!"

now that is a sport with integrity

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #12: October 28, 2009, 11:27:39 PM »
I don't know why everyone keeps trying to make new football leagues to compete with the NFL.

what they need to do is look at making a new Basketball league to compete with the NBA.