Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 423905 times)

Offline _sturt_

• "Le Grande Orange"...Colt 45/Astro/Expo(Nat) Great
Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #1750: November 18, 2011, 05:28:50 PM »
Hi, all.

I didn't leave the Astros. They got a new owner who took a bribe from Selig, and left for the Artificial League. That's a line I won't cross... a game not far removed from watching a bowling tournament, imo.

So, after some internal debate about a few other teams, I've settled on the Expos/Nats. I feel like it's the best fit. My only consternation is to think that Selig will perceive he can get away with the same ugliness again and push the Nats someday into the AL in trade for the Rays getting into the NL, both to nurture more localized rivlaries... ya think? Sure hope not.

Anyhow, I'm anxious to get caught up and to adapt to a new family.

_sturt_

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1751: November 18, 2011, 09:53:21 PM »
Welcome _sturt_.  We have an active member from Houston, HoustonNat, so now the both of you can lament not being able to see your NL team more than once every 6 years.

One thing that might interfere with moving the Nats to the AL would be the relationship with the Os and the Os with MLB.  The Os were quite resistant to Washington getting a team, and finally when MLB did it, the Os extracted a favorable TV deal to set up a regional network, MASN.  I don't think the Os would like it if there were a second AL team in what they perceive as part of their market.  There are 3 or so counties between Washington and Baltimore that are very split in loyalty and with range of ticket holders.  It is a little different the Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston, which have much more separate markets and less linkage in revenues.  Those cities are close enough to be rivals but not competitors, I think.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1752: November 18, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »
Welcome Sturt.

You can't rule anything out with Selig.

He's just slapped us with the new draft slot bonus limits, as if we have any other good alternative.  Screw him.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1753: November 18, 2011, 09:59:02 PM »
Good chance to pimp the Index thread that never seems to get any attention:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=16815.0

Tons of links and info about the forum there.  Some of it may be slightly old but since you asked for anything any everthing...  ;)

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #1754: November 19, 2011, 12:15:24 AM »
All appreciated, guys.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1755: November 19, 2011, 12:16:46 AM »
Welcome _sturt_.  We have an active member from Houston, HoustonNat, so now the both of you can lament not being able to see your NL team more than once every 6 years.

The nearest NL team to my house is the St Louis Cardinals - 920 miles away. Just inside of 1000 are the Rockies, Diamondbacks, and Braves.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #1756: November 19, 2011, 06:41:52 PM »

One thing that might interfere with moving the Nats to the AL would be the relationship with the Os and the Os with MLB.  The Os were quite resistant to Washington getting a team, and finally when MLB did it, the Os extracted a favorable TV deal to set up a regional network, MASN.  I don't think the Os would like it if there were a second AL team in what they perceive as part of their market.  There are 3 or so counties between Washington and Baltimore that are very split in loyalty and with range of ticket holders.  It is a little different the Dallas-Fort Worth and Houston, which have much more separate markets and less linkage in revenues.  Those cities are close enough to be rivals but not competitors, I think.
If the O's were smart, they should have negotiated a swap with the Nats and stuck the Nats in the AL East, and the O's would have had a better chance in the NL East.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1757: November 19, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »
If the O's were smart, they should have negotiated a swap with the Nats and stuck the Nats in the AL East, and the O's would have had a better chance in the NL East.

Not funny.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1758: November 19, 2011, 06:47:00 PM »

Be real, the O's ain't gotta chance anywhere.

Offline subnuclear

« Reply #1759: November 21, 2011, 11:16:18 AM »
Hello all,

I'm another Astros refugee. I've been watching the Astros since the early 80s playoff teams and feel like they aren't the team I grew up with anymore. I moved to the DC area about 5 years ago and have been to many more Nationals games than Astros games in those years, so I've been meaning to learn more about the Nationals and this unfortunate turn of events has given me the motivation.

I prefer National League-style baseball and have a long history of antipathy towards the Mets and Braves, so there is some common ground.

I've spent a big chunk of my life at the Spikes'n'Stars website, if anybody has heard of it. 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1760: November 22, 2011, 07:12:11 PM »
Hello all,

I'm another Astros refugee. I've been watching the Astros since the early 80s playoff teams and feel like they aren't the team I grew up with anymore. I moved to the DC area about 5 years ago and have been to many more Nationals games than Astros games in those years, so I've been meaning to learn more about the Nationals and this unfortunate turn of events has given me the motivation.

Welcome, former-congressman delay!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1761: November 22, 2011, 08:07:16 PM »

Offline mitlen

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1763: November 22, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
My name is Sue.   How do you do?

Shot a man talking about the Nats in the AL just to watch him die.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1764: November 22, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »
Shot a man talking about the Nats in the AL just to watch him die.

:cheers:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1765: November 22, 2011, 09:15:31 PM »
 :funny:

Offline _sturt_

« Reply #1766: November 26, 2011, 01:08:25 AM »
Hello all,

I prefer National League-style baseball and have a long history of antipathy towards the Mets and Braves, so there is some common ground.

I've spent a big chunk of my life at the Spikes'n'Stars website, if anybody has heard of it.

Good to have company, sub.

Offline LARRYbroadway

« Reply #1767: December 09, 2011, 10:26:36 AM »
been a long time, but I think I'm going to come back a little more often ;)

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #1768: December 09, 2011, 11:04:52 AM »
been a long time, but I think I'm going to come back a little more often ;)

Whoa - Holy Cow - Ghost of Christmas past.......Tre bien.......this is gonna be fun - LarryBroadway back on the boards..... :metal:

Offline ¡Vamos Ramos!

« Reply #1769: December 15, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »
Hola gentlemen, new to the boards, am a Nats season ticket holder and have been a fan since they moved here in 2005. Just found this forum and am looking forward to being able to discuss the Nats more often and more in depth than with the typical Yankees/Red Sox/Philly/*insert other crap team* fans I'm constantly subjected to.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1770: December 15, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »
Hola gentlemen, new to the boards, am a Nats season ticket holder and have been a fan since they moved here in 2005. Just found this forum and am looking forward to being able to discuss the Nats more often and more in depth than with the typical Yankees/Red Sox/Philly/*insert other crap team* fans I'm constantly subjected to.

welcome aboard!  where are your seats?

Offline ¡Vamos Ramos!

« Reply #1771: December 15, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »
welcome aboard!  where are your seats?

Left field, a few rows back from the field in section 106. Decent seats, hopefully once the economy picks up I can move closer to the infield...

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1772: December 15, 2011, 09:55:35 PM »

Welcome, make yourself at home :cheers:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1773: December 23, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »

Love the username.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1774: December 23, 2011, 09:48:39 AM »
He's close to the Red Loft guys!

Welcome!