Author Topic: Space. The Final Frontier.  (Read 75460 times)

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
Re: Space. The Final Frontier.
« Reply #100: September 23, 2011, 01:05:37 PM »
Didn't somebody just post this yesterday?  Pretty cool, regardless.
I posted it in the Youtube thread, but nobody ever looks there, so I posted it here.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #101: September 23, 2011, 01:30:04 PM »
I didn't know if we should have a dedicated space thread or just use the Shuttle one, but I made one.  Yeah, I like space, big whoop, wanna fight about it?  :lol:

I was reading about the New Horizons mission that Colodar mentioned, and came across this awesome gif:

(Image removed from quote.)

It's a volcano erupting on Io caught by the New Horizons craft.  Wow.

Not sure how I missed this originally but it looks like Io is taking a piss into space :mg:

maturitylevel++

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #102: October 17, 2011, 07:33:08 AM »
Birth of a star

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #103: October 21, 2011, 12:25:25 PM »
big meteor shower tonight starting around 2:30 AM and visible toward the south (originating from Orion)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/orionids-meteor-shower-peaks-tonight/2011/10/21/gIQAZGzN3L_blog.html

Offline Nathan

« Reply #104: November 13, 2011, 04:55:38 PM »
Neil deGrasse Tyson did an AMA on reddit :woop:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/mateq/i_am_neil_degrasse_tyson_ama/

I loved this one:

[–]MasterOfWomen 633 points 4 hours ago*  (762|122)
If you could add one course to a student's curriculum, what would it be?

[–]neiltyson [+1][S] 2144 points 3 hours ago (3931|1782)
Course title every university should offer: "How to tell when someone else is full of crap"

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #105: November 15, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #106: November 18, 2011, 11:12:03 PM »
So apparently that experiment that showed neutrinos traveling faster than light has been tested again, and again the results are showing that they are traveling faster than light.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/nov/18/neutrinos-still-faster-than-light?newsfeed=true

I don't fully grasp this.  Ok, so it could f up relativity, but what does that really mean?  Also, couldn't it just be that we are slightly off about the actual speed of light?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #107: December 06, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »

Offline Nathan

Re: Fielder.
« Reply #108: January 19, 2012, 10:19:19 PM »
Sign Prince Fielder.... nau!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Re: Fielder.
« Reply #109: January 19, 2012, 10:20:16 PM »
There needs to be a new Star Trek show. Nau!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #110: January 19, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »
NAU!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #111: January 19, 2012, 10:55:11 PM »
There needs to be a new Star Trek show. Nau!

Last one tanked. Hard. I think they're concentrating on the movies right now.

But if they do do another series, they need to take notes from BSG. Make it dark and suspense filled. It looked like DS9 was going to be like that, but no, they took the happy, hot girl with a slug in her gut marries the Klingon way out.

Oh and Fielder is meow. Sign future.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #112: January 20, 2012, 12:43:42 AM »
But if they do do another series, they need to take notes from BSG. Make it dark and suspense filled. It looked like DS9 was going to be like that, but no, they took the happy, hot girl with a slug in her gut marries the Klingon way out.

You, sir, don't know what the freak you are talking about.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #113: January 20, 2012, 12:45:40 AM »

:lmao: I was wondering when you'd respond to that.

Online Slateman

« Reply #114: January 20, 2012, 02:33:07 AM »

The freak I don't. Enterprise was terrible, outside of most of season 3. Awful. I kept expecting Al to pop up and.tell me that Ziggy estimates that if Sam punches this guy here, there's a 83.7% chance it will correct the space-time continum.

No, they need to concentrate on the movies and rebuild a generation of fans. Star Trek has declined while Star Wars has grown by leaps and bounds.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #115: January 20, 2012, 03:26:39 AM »
I was referring to your baseless slandering of DS9.  I haven't watched more than one or two episodes of "Enterprise".

Star Trek has declined while Star Wars has grown by leaps and bounds.

Uhh...  what?  I think you need to lay off the sauce :lol:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #116: January 20, 2012, 04:29:55 AM »
Not at all on topic, but you might be the only person I know that prefers the new star wars stuff.

Online Slateman

« Reply #117: January 20, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »
I was referring to your baseless slandering of DS9.  I haven't watched more than one or two episodes of "Enterprise".

Uhh...  what?  I think you need to lay off the sauce :lol:

I thought DS9 copped out. They were all set for a dark, costly war with a rather strong foe and ... the writers bailed. If the last two seasons had been like the "Siege at AR558" that would have been a great series. It could have been the best in Star Trek history. But, instead, they wanted some happy go lucky story with occasional references to "the war" and "casualty  lists"

Oh and sign Fielder

Offline The Chief

« Reply #118: January 20, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »
I thought DS9 copped out. They were all set for a dark, costly war with a rather strong foe and ... the writers bailed. If the last two seasons had been like the "Siege at AR558" that would have been a great series. It could have been the best in Star Trek history. But, instead, they wanted some happy go lucky story with occasional references to "the war" and "casualty  lists"

Oh and sign Fielder

I'm beginning to think you didn't even watch the final two seasons of DS9.  They were by far the best, with 4 and 5 up there as well.  I have no idea what you're talking about with "copping out" - the final two seasons revolved around the war with said foe, and the show was overall the darkest grittiest Star Trek by far.  But I guess if you're phobic about there being other plot lines and interpersonal relationships mixed in then yeah the shows various romances and bromances could scare you off :shrug:

Online Slateman

« Reply #119: January 20, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »
I'm beginning to think you didn't even watch the final two seasons of DS9.  They were by far the best, with 4 and 5 up there as well.  I have no idea what you're talking about with "copping out" - the final two seasons revolved around the war with said foe, and the show was overall the darkest grittiest Star Trek by far.  But I guess if you're phobic about there being other plot lines and interpersonal relationships mixed in then yeah the shows various romances and bromances could scare you off :shrug:

They retake DS9 and ... wedding. Character building episodes. I have seen all of DS9. Several times. Have it on my hard drive. They copped out. Unless they burned fx budget on special affects and space battles, all they ever did was mention the war.

Seriously, in the middle of it, Sisko is playing baseball with Vulcans. I mean, wtf.
Definitely can never rule out the Yankees, but they're the Yankees and if Prince was on their radar I don't know why they'd have waited this long.

The Yanks are legitimately trying to get under the luxury cap

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #120: January 20, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »
They retake DS9 and ... wedding. Character building episodes. I have seen all of DS9. Several times. Have it on my hard drive. They copped out. Unless they burned fx budget on special affects and space battles, all they ever did was mention the war.

Seriously, in the middle of it, Sisko is playing baseball with Vulcans. I mean, wtf.

TNG had them sitting in saloons with VR characters. Still a great series.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #121: January 20, 2012, 11:29:52 AM »
All things considered, I wish they never came up with that cheesy holodeck.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #122: January 20, 2012, 11:32:22 AM »
it's okay linty,  slateman is obviously one of those people that isn't happy unless things are blowing up.  I loved that DS9 wasn't flat and one dimensional as he would seem to prefer.  In fact out of the entire show I can only think of one episode that was truly awful.

To each their own :cheers:

(but my own is better :mg: )

Offline The Chief

« Reply #123: January 20, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »
@obed - the first couple of seasons of TNG had so many body snatching and holo mishap episodes that it's a wonder the entire crew didn't go crazy and kill each other :lol:

as linty said though, still a great show

Offline The Chief

« Reply #124: January 20, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
Nathan why aren't you splitting this stuff? EARN your keep, man! :whip: :poke: