Author Topic: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)  (Read 96693 times)

Offline Clever

Re: Washington Redskins Thread (2012)
« Reply #475: August 10, 2012, 01:06:49 AM »
One and Oh! DC Pride! No doubt this is the sports page headline!  :twisted:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #476: August 10, 2012, 09:56:16 AM »
The first team defense looked pretty good and overall the offense looked solid. The line play wasn't as bad as I would have expected considering the starters that didn't play. It's still preseason though, which means most defense/offense is pretty vanilla. I'm a little optimistic with RGIII. He did seem poised out there.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #477: August 10, 2012, 10:47:20 AM »
One and Oh! DC Pride! No doubt this is the sports page headline!  :twisted:

The actual front page: http://thewashingtonpost.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

[not that far off actually]

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #478: August 23, 2012, 01:17:22 PM »
not everyone's feeling the RGIII love

When Pete Prisco predicted the Redskins to finish 3-13, most of you were all, “Hold on. No way. That guy’s dumb.” Or something like that.

Well, the folks at ESPN The Magazine don’t think he’s very far off.

The latest issue of the publication features NFL predictions, and they have the Redskins finishing the season at a dismal 2-14.

Readers @MShawnPage and @shor4sure kindly tweeted images of their pages, and if I’m reading them correctly, the two victories come against St. Louis and Minnesota, which means not a single divisional win.

“Wisdom provided by the big brains and powerful computers at AccuScore,” it says in bold lettering in the middle of the page.

AccuScore specializes in betting predictions, so this record is likely the result of data plugged into a computer program with no human element. Take this one with a grain of salt.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/morning-pixels-espn-magazine-predicts-2-14-redskins/2012/08/22/f4c2e31c-ec50-11e1-9ddc-340d5efb1e9c_blog.html

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #479: August 23, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »
not everyone's feeling the RGIII love

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/morning-pixels-espn-magazine-predicts-2-14-redskins/2012/08/22/f4c2e31c-ec50-11e1-9ddc-340d5efb1e9c_blog.html

I'm not sure why everyone has to.  As a big fan of football as well, collegiate and pro - I can honestly say...oh wait...IN MY OPINION (there...now it should make people happy)...  RG3 isn't going to be as good as everyone thinks he is.  He had worse collegiate stats than Colt McCoy whom everyone says has a weak arm and doesn't have accuracy (accuracy part is completely wrong), and his numbers were similar to that of Brandon Weeden.  He also lost to Weeden.  He's quite fast and is a leader, but I'm not seeing how this guy is going to be great.

Just think of JaMarcus Russell...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #480: August 23, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
:bang:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #481: August 23, 2012, 03:26:14 PM »
cool let's turn this into another cleveland sports debate.

i can't wait until tribe goes into other red loft threads about local bars in DC or favorite movie theaters in the area ... he'll share all the places from cleveland! 

WNFF poster: hey guys want to meet up for a redskins game? 
tribe: let's have a browns meet-up!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #482: August 23, 2012, 09:42:53 PM »
I'm not sure why everyone has to.  As a big fan of football as well, collegiate and pro - I can honestly say...oh wait...IN MY OPINION (there...now it should make people happy)...  RG3 isn't going to be as good as everyone thinks he is.  He had worse collegiate stats than Colt McCoy whom everyone says has a weak arm and doesn't have accuracy (accuracy part is completely wrong), and his numbers were similar to that of Brandon Weeden.  He also lost to Weeden.  He's quite fast and is a leader, but I'm not seeing how this guy is going to be great.

Keep citing college statistics as if they matter in the NFL. In your dream world, Matt Leinart, Vince Young and Brady Quinn should be superstars!!!

Also stop going into every single NFL thread and bashing RGIII. I'm not even a Redskins fan but it's annoying.

Offline Clever

« Reply #483: August 24, 2012, 12:16:53 AM »
RG3=MVP  8)

Offline Tribe Time

• Long Live LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!
« Reply #484: August 24, 2012, 06:00:30 AM »

Keep citing college statistics as if they matter in the NFL. In your dream world, Matt Leinart, Vince Young and Brady Quinn should be superstars!!!

Also stop going into every single NFL thread and bashing RGIII. I'm not even a Redskins fan but it's annoying.

I forgot...we all have to conform and agree with one another.  God forbid us to have a different viewpoint.  Go back to supporting that team in that god-forsaken stench ridden city that is Pittsburgh

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #485: August 24, 2012, 07:41:47 AM »
Why are you here?

You post anti-Nats and anti-Skins rants... And you expect people to take you seriously?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #486: August 24, 2012, 08:39:38 AM »
I forgot...we all have to conform and agree with one another.  God forbid us to have a different viewpoint.  Go back to supporting that team in that god-forsaken stench ridden city that is Pittsburgh

Coming from Cleveland? That's hilarious.

I don't care if people disagree but you are obviously just trolling every mention of RGIII/Redskins/NFL with how much you think he sucks.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #487: August 24, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »
I really don't expect a lot from the Redskins this year. The offensive line looks pretty dreadful to me. Especially at right tackle and center. And LG but that's because Cory L still isn't 100% yet.

I have a feeling that Griffin will be spending a lot of time running away.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #488: August 24, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
year 3 of shanny, this is the year they should compete or snyder should clean house. I dont care that he's a rookie- other rookies have made the playoffs recently

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #489: August 24, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »
So Tribe...

Why is Kirk Cousins a better option than RG3?

I got no dog in this fight, but I am just wondering.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #490: August 24, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
He's "is a leader" and you're comparing him to Jamarcus Russell?

And I think you might be underestimating Griffin's athleticism. He's not just fast, he's freakishly athletic. I think he'll be a very good QB if he can survive with the line that Shanny is putting in front of him.

In terms of arm strength, have you watched him pass? "It's more of running to your left and flicking your wrist and throwing the ball 70 yards," Washington's backup quarterback Rex Grossman said, as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Then he shook his head.

I think Washington is going to suck again this year, but if Griffin turns out not to be a star quarterback, it will be because he's mis-handled, not because of his lack of brains, athleticism, or arm strength.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #491: August 24, 2012, 11:28:05 AM »

Explain to me why you compare RGIII to freaking Colt McCoy. They are nothing at all alike. Griffin has a superior arm by leaps and bounds, superior athleticism and is more accurate especially on the all important deep routes. So how are they remotely alike? And really? JaMarcus Russell? He was a fat ass that was more concerned with getting crunk with his freakin purple drank than playing NFL football. You haven't a clue do you? I've been pretty tolerant because we all have different opinions and it's rare that I truly feel like someone is trolling and nothing else. You sir, are a troll. As soon as you can intelligently debate this, I'll suffer you, otherwise, keep living in your fantasy land.

Online Slateman

« Reply #492: August 24, 2012, 11:32:02 AM »
year 3 of shanny, this is the year they should compete or snyder should clean house. I dont care that he's a rookie- other rookies have made the playoffs recently

This is, essentially, the first year of the rebuild though.

I'm going to laugh when Josh Morgan does nothing all season and we're have a turnstile at right tackle.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #493: August 24, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »
This is, essentially, the first year of the rebuild though.

I'm going to laugh when Josh Morgan does nothing all season and we're have a turnstile at right tackle.

:lmao: no, they told us last year was about the defense (so even being charitable, last year was year 1), and I don't see any reason to give them a pass on the McNabb debacle year 1. Right tackle is a problem of their own making, they traded for a useless tub of lard then extended him. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #494: August 24, 2012, 12:00:14 PM »
While the oline could be much better, I don't think it'll be quite as bad as most of us think. We are playing with out 3 starters, 2 if you consider that Brown is going to be a backup regardless of if he's healthy or not. The line played pretty well last year until Lichtenstieger went down, then crap fell apart. Gettis looks like he's a player and I'm not sure about Lereibus (sp?) but we have a lot more depth now than we did a year or two ago. It's funny how ppl blow preseason games out of proportion. They either get overly excited about the way Griffin played in the Bills game, or throw him under the bus and get a hard on for Cousins... (might be a poor choice of words, but hell with it) There's no middle ground with people. Shanny said something about it recently I believe, basically that they are just running plays and seeing what happens. No game planning, they just want to see how certain players do vs different situations.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that we are a Super Bowl contender or even a playoff contender, but are we in a better place this year than last year? I'd have to say yes! At least we won't be running with Rexy.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #495: August 24, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
I dont understand how people can have expectations so low- we're in the third year of a coach who was supposed to be some massive upgrade who was going to make everything better and we have a qb that we just paid the highest price ever to trade up to get- the bar should be set at playoffs

Online Slateman

« Reply #496: August 24, 2012, 12:13:19 PM »
:lmao: no, they told us last year was about the defense (so even being charitable, last year was year 1), and I don't see any reason to give them a pass on the McNabb debacle year 1. Right tackle is a problem of their own making, they traded for a useless tub of lard then extended him. 

I agree with you.

I don't understand why they reached on a guard in the 3rd round and then took a back up QB in the 4th. They didn't address RT in the draft when they could have and they overpaid for receivers instead of getting a RT. So, we're going to rely on Jamal Brown, who can't stay healthy, and Tyler Polumbus, who sucks.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #497: August 24, 2012, 12:49:14 PM »
I dont understand how people can have expectations so low- we're in the third year of a coach who was supposed to be some massive upgrade who was going to make everything better and we have a qb that we just paid the highest price ever to trade up to get- the bar should be set at playoffs

You have to be reasonable though. True we are in the third year, but we had to rebuild from previous freakups again! If we wouldn't have made the move to get Griffin or Luck, we'd be hearing nothing but "still didn't get the qb etc...". I understand the rationale behind the Cousins' pick. Not only do you get a guy that should be a damn good back up, but he should develop into a pretty good starter that will buy draft picks later on.
I actually think Willie Smith should start at RT over Polumbus, but Polumbus played decent at times last year. Plus they drafted a tackle out of South Dakota St or something like that they feel is a great fit for the offense, but is raw.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #498: August 24, 2012, 12:53:48 PM »
You have to be reasonable though. True we are in the third year, but we had to rebuild from previous freakups again! If we wouldn't have made the move to get Griffin or Luck, we'd be hearing nothing but "still didn't get the qb etc...". I understand the rationale behind the Cousins' pick. Not only do you get a guy that should be a damn good back up, but he should develop into a pretty good starter that will buy draft picks later on.
I actually think Willie Smith should start at RT over Polumbus, but Polumbus played decent at times last year. Plus they drafted a tackle out of South Dakota St or something like that they feel is a great fit for the offense, but is raw.

other teams manage to churn- at this point the roster is entirely shanny's, three years for a nfl coach (especially one of the best paid coaches) is reasonable. They had to get RGIII because for whatever reason, shanny decided to wait on QB until year three, that's on him, no one forced him to continually pass on the most important team in the game   

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #499: August 24, 2012, 12:58:46 PM »
other teams manage to churn- at this point the roster is entirely shanny's, three years for a nfl coach (especially one of the best paid coaches) is reasonable. They had to get RGIII because for whatever reason, shanny decided to wait on QB until year three, that's on him, no one forced him to continually pass on the most important team in the game   

For once, the Redskins are building the right way. I'd much rather have patience and let Shanny do the job than to blow it up after this year. Shanahan has done a very good job drafting in D.C. and signing free agents that are long term pieces as opposed to past their prime hasbeens. I'm excited and think we have a chance at being pretty good, especially with our defense, but we must get through the first half of the schedule with no more than one or 2 losses. The second half is brutal.

Like I said, after 20 years of failure, I'm not gonna hold my breath and declare us playoff bound, but hey, who thought the Nats would be this good?