Author Topic: Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?  (Read 11270 times)

Offline Ray D

Re: Nationals-Orioles Rivalry?
« Reply #125: February 22, 2013, 02:11:11 PM »
i wish we played the o's more than four times this year ... i wanted a six game sweep of those birds.  still pissed about last year.
When I was very young, we played the Orioles 22 times a year (when there were only 8 AL teams).  Usually won about four of those.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #126: February 22, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »

I understand the format will always be a 4 game home&home series going forward...

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #127: February 22, 2013, 04:45:17 PM »
i wish we played the o's more than four times this year ... i wanted a six game sweep of those birds.  still pissed about last year.
4 games is just too little... I wanted two full series, not two wimpy ones.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #128: February 22, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »
4 games will make it even less a rivalry, I think.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #129: February 22, 2013, 08:59:46 PM »
Im want to swap my tickets for the Os at Nats.  Then the next day,I'm taking off to see NATS at Baltimore.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #130: February 22, 2013, 09:37:45 PM »
4 games is just too little... I wanted two full series, not two wimpy ones.

Yep, more game not fewer.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #131: February 23, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #132: February 23, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »
Yep, more game not fewer.

Same number swap one for the other.   I can't go to the game on the 4th.  I have to work.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #133: February 23, 2013, 05:41:34 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice.  Note the Washington club being referred to as "Washington National"

Offline Coladar

Re: Nationals-Orioles Rivarly?
« Reply #134: February 23, 2013, 10:56:24 PM »
How anyone can bother hating the Orioles when there are Phillies, Mets, and Barves to save one's venom for is pretty much beyond me.  Angelos did this, Angelos did that...well, at least put the blame for DC not having a team for a generation where it really belongs (MLB).  Not that I really care one way or the other these days, but the Orioles were the ONLY show in town back in the day (most of you can't possibly understand this, as you probably aren't from here).  In the days of broadcast television, major league ball here consisted of a) World Series and league playoff series, and b) Orioles.  That's it.

Few days late in my reply, but for serious?

How can anyone bother hating the Os?

The teams in our division are just that, teams in our division. You'll have to forgive me if I save my venom for a franchise that tried everything in their power to stop the Nats from existing, never mind depriving our city of a decade of seasons we should have had otherwise. Either the Rays or Marlins, one of those should have gone to DC if not for Angelos and the Os. So yeah, all the Mets, Braves and Phillies have ever done is play baseball against us and beat us a few times. The O's took away 1600+ games, screwed us with MASN...

You can't seriously expect me to believe that Phoenix, Denver and Tampa Bay made more sense for expansion in the 90s than DC. Angelos used his influence, depriving DC of baseball for another decade.

Putting the blame on MLB is delusional. I get that a lot of the folks who had grown up with and rooted for the Senators blamed MLB for us not having a team, since during the 70s and into the 80s Baltimore had little to do with the situation. I posted the story of my grandfather in our 'headed to the playoffs thread'. MLB abandoned his city, and so he gave up on MLB for over thirty years, enjoying only two Nats seasons before passing away.

Maybe the fact I grew up in the 90s makes me more prone to hate the Os and blame Angelos, but what MLB did was basically not doing anything - nothing to stop our owners screwing DC and costing us two franchises, then acquiescing to Angelos' insanity to prevent it from returning AND allowing him to screw us when it finally did. Crap, MLB is the only reason we have baseball back in DC considering *they* owned the Expos and moved them to DC. Nothing changes the fact that Angelos would destroy the Nats tomorrow if he had the power, which you cannot say about MLB or the Phillies/Mets/Braves.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #135: February 24, 2013, 06:48:01 AM »
Nice.  Note the Washington club being referred to as "Washington National"

Also, Baltimore Oriole. Strange scheduling with lots of travel. Scheduled double headers. Nats games on channel 13 in Baltimore while the Os game is not televised. Boston abbreviated Bost. What a scary time the 50s were.

The eBay add for this schedule claims to be from some hard core Maryland house pickers. The refer to the schedule as containing the games for the Os and Redskins.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #136: February 24, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
Pregame show on channel 5 was called  Dugout Chatter. Hosted by Bob Wolf.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #137: February 24, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »
What a scary time the 50s were.

Nothing like being 10 and thinking you're gonna die in a nuclear war.    Of course that's a lot less stressful than trying to remember your Facebook password.   :)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #138: February 24, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »
What is wrong with the Post...they refer to Baltimore as "hip" in today's travel section.  If jorts, cell phone holsters, and baby feet tattooed on one's neck can be considered hip, I suppose they may be onto something.   

• babble on
« Reply #139: February 24, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
Meh.  I'm over it.  I choose to conserve my powers of hate for the mouthbreathers in Philly, Queens, and Fatlanta. 

Few days late in my reply, but for serious?

How can anyone bother hating the Os?

The teams in our division are just that, teams in our division. You'll have to forgive me if I save my venom for a franchise that tried everything in their power to stop the Nats from existing, never mind depriving our city of a decade of seasons we should have had otherwise. Either the Rays or Marlins, one of those should have gone to DC if not for Angelos and the Os. So yeah, all the Mets, Braves and Phillies have ever done is play baseball against us and beat us a few times. The O's took away 1600+ games, screwed us with MASN...

You can't seriously expect me to believe that Phoenix, Denver and Tampa Bay made more sense for expansion in the 90s than DC. Angelos used his influence, depriving DC of baseball for another decade.

Putting the blame on MLB is delusional. I get that a lot of the folks who had grown up with and rooted for the Senators blamed MLB for us not having a team, since during the 70s and into the 80s Baltimore had little to do with the situation. I posted the story of my grandfather in our 'headed to the playoffs thread'. MLB abandoned his city, and so he gave up on MLB for over thirty years, enjoying only two Nats seasons before passing away.

Maybe the fact I grew up in the 90s makes me more prone to hate the Os and blame Angelos, but what MLB did was basically not doing anything - nothing to stop our owners screwing DC and costing us two franchises, then acquiescing to Angelos' insanity to prevent it from returning AND allowing him to screw us when it finally did. Crap, MLB is the only reason we have baseball back in DC considering *they* owned the Expos and moved them to DC. Nothing changes the fact that Angelos would destroy the Nats tomorrow if he had the power, which you cannot say about MLB or the Phillies/Mets/Braves.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #140: February 24, 2013, 10:43:21 AM »
My feelings of hate toward the Orioles owner far outweigh any negative thoughts about Phillies phans.  Just think about the TV negotiations going on right now

Meh.  I'm over it.  I choose to conserve my powers of hate for the mouthbreathers in Philly, Queens, and Fatlanta. 

• babble on
« Reply #141: February 24, 2013, 10:44:40 AM »
That's the beauty of America...one is free to hate whoever they choose  :lol:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #142: February 24, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
There's a big difference between hate and rivalry.   I intensely want us to beat the teams in our division. Those are rivalries. But I don't have the Braves, Mets, or Marlin.  (I do hate the Phillies of course, but that's not because they're in our division, it's because they're the Phillies.)   I hate the Orioles, but I feel no sense of rivalry.

Offline hokiefan

« Reply #143: February 26, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
I'm a slightly bigger O's fan than Nats fan.  The O's were my childhood team, and I'm a big believer that you never give up on your team.  That being said, I have more Nats gear, attend more Nats games, and follow the Nats more closely.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #144: February 27, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »
I'm a slightly bigger O's fan than Nats fan.  The O's were my childhood team, and I'm a big believer that you never give up on your team.  That being said, I have more Nats gear, attend more Nats games, and follow the Nats more closely.

Looks like you're a slightly bigger Nats fan than O's fan to me. ;-)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #145: February 27, 2013, 07:47:08 AM »

Don't take this the wrong way but you may have well have said that you are a slightly bigger fan of schlong than poon.

• babble on
« Reply #146: February 27, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
And the problem with that is what exactly?

Don't take this the wrong way but you may have well have said that you are a slightly bigger fan of schlong than poon.

Offline DC_Nats

« Reply #147: February 27, 2013, 09:17:33 AM »

You must have a finite amount of venom. I have enough for all three of those teams with plenty left over to send 57 miles north.

• babble on
« Reply #148: February 27, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »
I need to pace my hate so I have enough left for the Flyers, Sabres, and Manchester United.
You must have a finite amount of venom. I have enough for all three of those teams with plenty left over to send 57 miles north.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #149: February 27, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
I need to pace my hate so I have enough left for the Flyers, Sabres, and Manchester United.

Don't forget the Penguins and Dallas!