Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 61135 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #50: June 19, 2010, 02:40:45 PM »
Cygwin update - I have Virtualbox running on my old souped-up laptop, with an ssh server and I got the port opened so not only can I ssh into my guest OS, I can ssh in from other machines on my network as well. So I'm building a mini cluster with all the machines I have lying around and I run all kinds of crap and play music off my other machine and use my netbook like an Xterminal. This pretty much kicks ass and really expands my productivity.

Question - how I do I keep my machines INACESSIBLE from the outside - does the ISP close the SSH port by default? Do I need to go into my router setup? Does windows 7 firewall handle that?

One more problem with windows 7 starter is that you can't move the taskbar :bang:

Also OneNote7 is so useful and totally replaces Acrobat professional just as a side usage.
Check out ShieldsUP!.  https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

You can do a scan on the first 1056 ports, a specific port, or the most common ports to see if they are stealthed, closed, or open.  My home computers show all of them stealthed, even when I WANTED to have port 22 open on one machine to SSH into from work.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #51: June 19, 2010, 02:42:40 PM »
Check out ShieldsUP!.  https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

You can do a scan on the first 1056 ports, a specific port, or the most common ports to see if they are stealthed, closed, or open.  My home computers show all of them stealthed, even when I WANTED to have port 22 open on one machine to SSH into from work.

I tried a good old fashioned ssh and it didn't work, so I'm happy for now. Gotta leave for the game soon.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #52: June 20, 2010, 03:19:51 AM »
Sounds like you've got a pretty good thing going, seems you've answered your own question.  I mean, unless you absolutely have to have Aero Glass :P

Ugh, just trying to change the background to a baby picture (background is unchangable in starter) I installed a souped up version of WindowBlinds called MyColors that broke the default windows them and made the toolbar look awful.

However, thing seem to actually be running faster under their theme-on-top of a theme, and it loks better than Starter Default, so I'm gonna just ignore it for now.

Offline PC

« Reply #53: June 21, 2010, 06:00:22 PM »
I don't know if this is the place for this but it's Microsoft-related because it's Windows-related...

I've been a Windows fanboy for years, (and I was a DOS fanboy before that...back in 1991 I was, simultaneously a DOS AND Windows fanboy!) but, until today, I never knew that a superscript was a valid character in a Windows file name.  :shock:

Since long file names were introduced ie Windows 95, I've never seen a superscript in a file name and it would never occur to me to add one because you can't get one directly from the keyboard.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #54: June 21, 2010, 06:29:58 PM »
That's funny.  Definitely wouldn't have thought of that either.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #55: June 28, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »

Yeah there's a chick voice now :lol: Does MSE stop you from visiting infected sites? The main page for Gilly's Craft Beer was infected, Avast saved my butt.

Update:  MSE stopped some kind of trojan on a site I visited last night, so "yes" to your question...  sort of - it didn't stop me from visiting the site or stop the page from loading, but it did catch the malware - which I thought was interesting considering the infected file was a firefox cache file (extensionless)

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #56: June 28, 2010, 10:09:57 PM »
Xbox = microsoft, so I'll ask here.

Have any of you guys faked an RROD? I did, and I'm hoping it works. I get two rings from overheating, so I just sent it in anyway... apparently Microsoft doesn't look too closely from what I've seen online, but I was curious about any personal experiences.

Offline PC

« Reply #57: August 06, 2010, 07:49:54 PM »
7 market share (14.46%) has passed Vista's (14.34%) but both, combined, still trail XP (61.87). :shock:

http://www.desktopreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1179

This HAS to be corporate users' doing.  Consumers can't still be running the same XP install they've had for the past 3, 5, 7...10 years, can they?  How is this possible?  Considering I have a Technet subscription (and MSDN subscription on top of that!) and am a compulsive OS installer, I install Windows a dozen plus times a year.  Admittedly, I'm "unusual" but do these people just never reinstall their OS, continuing to use that XP install from years ago or are the installing XP over and over again?  

I'd find that even more interesting, someone who has the skill set to reinstall Windows but never upgrades their OS and keeps installing XP!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #58: August 06, 2010, 07:56:30 PM »
Well, corporate users is a big part of that.  We just had our systems upgraded to XP from 2000 a few months ago.

Also, many people don't reinstall their OS.  And frankly, I don't think that it should be a requirement to reinstall an OS every year or whenever.

Many people still don't want to upgrade to 7 because either the backlash from hearing how "bad" Vista was, they don't want to buy an OS upgrade, and their system won't handle it.  I'd say a majority of users never install an OS.  They get what comes on their computer and stick with it until they buy a new computer.

I've got 2 people at work who just bought new computers because their old ones just got so slow, even after they went to a website that popped up that would fix it ( :smh: )

Now they want to wipe it before throwing it out.  I'm thinking of offering to do it for them if they let me keep the old machines, once I find out what they are.  I know one is from 2002 so it will be basically useless, but I don't know how old the other one is.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #59: August 07, 2010, 10:50:48 AM »
I'd say a majority of users never install an OS.  They get what comes on their computer and stick with it until they buy a new computer.

This is exactly right.  Also - PC, why are you talking about re-installing OSes?  Those numbers aren't affected by reinstalls, they're measured (at least i'm pretty sure) by a combination of sales and web use.  It may actually be JUST web use.

But yes, XP share is largely corporate machines and old personal machines as the vast majority of users only "upgrade" their OS in the scenario Nathan mentioned.  Where I work, we just started supporting Windows 7 on new machine purchases last month.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #60: August 09, 2010, 04:47:44 PM »
My netbook flipped out and the "snap" window feature in 7 went bananas and my screen was scrolling uncontrollably horizontally. Putting it to sleep and waking it up fixed the problem. Any ideas?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #61: August 25, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »
I want to give a big sloppy kiss to whomever came up with OneNote - I don't know what I would do without it.

Offline PC

« Reply #62: September 14, 2010, 11:02:25 PM »
Fellow technet subscribers, have your number of activation keys been reduced from 10 to 5?  :wtf:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #63: September 14, 2010, 11:25:55 PM »
Fellow technet subscribers, have your number of activation keys been reduced from 10 to 5?  :wtf:
Yep, WTF.  It was 10 the other day because I got an Office key.

Offline PC

« Reply #64: September 14, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »
Yep, WTF.  It was 10 the other day because I got an Office key.

It was 10 yesterday!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #65: September 14, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »
It was 10 yesterday!
I don't download things daily like some people :P

But that is kinda freaked up.  Personally, I'm only using 1 of my Office keys and 2 Win 7 keys ATM, but still it sucks that I paid for 10 and only get 5 now.

Offline PC

« Reply #66: September 14, 2010, 11:39:16 PM »
I don't download things daily like some people :P

But that is kinda freaked up.  Personally, I'm only using 1 of my Office keys and 2 Win 7 keys ATM, but still it sucks that I paid for 10 and only get 5 now.

Well, I use a lot more than 1 and 2.  And when I say a lot,  I mean A LOT!

Not only did I pay for 10, I just renewed THREE DAYS AGO!  This couldn't be more freaked up!

Offline The Chief

« Reply #67: September 15, 2010, 09:29:21 AM »
Wow.  Makes me glad I grabbed 10 keys for everything I need and didn't resubscribe :?

Offline PC

« Reply #68: September 15, 2010, 01:49:46 PM »
In other, less crappy, Microsoft news, IE9 beta is out.

http://www.beautyoftheweb.com

The first thing I notice is that the screen fonts look exactly like Safari, which has always been Safari's strongest point.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #69: September 15, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »
I respectfully disagree.  Not big on Safari fonts.  They aren't the worst either though, so whatever.  I'm probably going to continue using IE less than 2-3 times per month anyway, so it's largely irrelevant.

Offline PC

« Reply #70: September 15, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »
I respectfully disagree.  Not big on Safari fonts.  They aren't the worst either though, so whatever.  I'm probably going to continue using IE less than 2-3 times per month anyway, so it's largely irrelevant.

Really?  Safari's font rendering is very clean to my eye, at least, the cleanest of all the browsers.

Anyway, I don't use IE that much either so from that respect it's not a big deal...but it's a new browser and that's something.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #71: September 15, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »
Not sure I know what you mean by "clean."  I use cleartype anyway (on by default in Vista/7) so most fonts look pretty clean to me.

What I don't understand is why neither IE9 nor FF4 mimic Chrome's "get rid of the wasted title bar space" when maximized.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #72: September 15, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
Not sure I know what you mean by "clean."  I use cleartype anyway (on by default in Vista/7) so most fonts look pretty clean to me.

What I don't understand is why neither IE9 nor FF4 mimic Chrome's "get rid of the wasted title bar space" when maximized.
It sucks in XP though.  I always preferred Apple's font rendering to MS's, I too think it looks more clear whereas the MS AA fonts look blurry.  At least on XP anyway, 7's is good.  I don't know about Vista.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #73: September 15, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »
But XP is freaking archaic, so that's kind of a moot point anymore.  I mean yes, I realize a lot of people either don't know any better or are stuck using XP (businesses) but still.  From a purely technical standpoint, what things do or don't do in XP is pretty much irrelevant these days.

Agreed though, XP cleartype is pretty meh.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #74: September 15, 2010, 04:52:25 PM »
Seeing as XP still has over 60% market share, a lot of people are still stuck looking at it all day.  What boggles my mind is the .06% of people using 98 still!