Author Topic: New to this forum -- one thing I hate  (Read 1758 times)

Offline 114D

New to this forum -- one thing I hate
« Topic Start: April 23, 2012, 09:52:44 AM »
Tons of the threads at the front of the Clubhouse are a year old or even longer.  Somebody replies with nonsense to a 40 page thread from 2009 and suddenly it is top of the list.  It'd be great to have a quick way to determine which threads were started when (not just last post but thread creation time/date) and/or some way to filter out old threads from my view of the top page.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: New to this forum -- one thing I hate
« Reply #1: April 23, 2012, 03:04:38 PM »
I only saw 3 threads that went back further than this year when I looked (they've now been split by year), but I see where you're coming from.  I'd say that due to the nature of message boards, popular topics are going to linger.  I generally try to trim topics by season to keep them from getting too unwieldy, but sometimes I miss a few.

Do you know how to use the "first new post" and "most recent post" buttons for topics?  I'd be happy to slap together a quick tutorial if not.  There's also an option in profile settings that will allow you to arrange threads in reverse chronological order (with the newest post always at the top of the first page).  I'm not sure if that would be more to your liking or not, but there are some people who use that option.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #2: April 24, 2012, 05:00:53 PM »
114D - I know I've bumped old threads when they are a player profile or a  recurring issue.  For example, in the Farm section, the prospect profiles can be old.  Those are meant to follow a guy through his minor league career and how he is doing, so I think those are appropriate to bump.  Other threads, like threads on ownership, development around the stadium, and the GM seem to be appropriate to bump, although those seldom linger more than a month.  finally, threads like "is there a good place to drink and watch a game" probably get cold in the winter but have a lot of carry-over year to year. 

I've got a hunch people will want to talk about Desi and Espi as long as they are both here, so bumping a Desi / Espi thread is not too offensive (by the way, who is your favorite Beatle?).

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #3: April 25, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »
This sounds like an incentive ...

Somebody replies with nonsense to a 40 page thread from 2009 and suddenly it is top of the list.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #4: April 25, 2012, 11:58:27 AM »
Ok. So who volunteers to bump this thread next april?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: June 07, 2012, 08:34:34 PM »
This sounds like an incentive ...

The nonsense bit cracked me up

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #6: June 08, 2012, 12:01:09 PM »
Really doesn't strike me as that much of a problem hereabouts.