Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List (2007-2011)  (Read 114731 times)

Offline kimnat

Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #125: January 06, 2008, 12:28:37 PM »
I'm in the mood for 1776 & Final Countdown again.  I've seen those so many times I can speak the lines along w/ the movies!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #126: January 07, 2008, 07:55:18 AM »
Anyone else seen 1408 yet? If so, did you see both endings? The Director's Cut version makes it a lot clearer as to what actually happens.

I saw it last night and thought it was AWESOME! Definitely recommended.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #127: January 08, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »
Charlie Wilson's War has wonderfully witty dialog but seemed a little superficial in its handling of issues. I doubt the movie was even 90 minutes long.

« Reply #128: January 10, 2008, 10:08:04 PM »
Just finished "3:10 to Yuma" and it was excellent.  Russell Crowe was amazing.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #129: January 11, 2008, 06:56:08 AM »
Just finished "3:10 to Yuma" and it was excellent.  Russell Crowe was amazing.

I've had that sitting here for like a month now. I've only heard good things about it.

« Reply #130: January 11, 2008, 09:28:02 AM »
I've had that sitting here for like a month now. I've only heard good things about it.

The Westerns are back! :lol:

Interesting notes about it:

-3:10 to Yuma with Crowe and Bale is a remake of a 1950s movie of the same name. 

-Have you ever seen the Vin Diesel movie "Pitch Black" (part of the Chronicles of Riddick)? Pitch Black is the sci-fi version of 3:10 to Yuma.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #131: January 11, 2008, 09:29:13 AM »
The Westerns are back! :lol:

Does it really have that classic Western feel?

« Reply #132: January 11, 2008, 09:32:41 AM »
Does it really have that classic Western feel?

Not so much "classic" goofy cowboy feel but it deals with a lot of realistic issues people back then dealt with. Railroad coming in and taking land, Chinese building railroads, the desperation of the times, etc. Don't expect a nice, clean, John Wayne to come riding into town or anything. 

I am also a Martial Arts/Kung-Fu movie buff and I swear it has hints of that classic Samurai movie-like feel to it.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #133: January 11, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
So less like The Searchers and more like Tombstone? I prefer Tombstone anyways. Unforgiven was awesome, too.

« Reply #134: January 11, 2008, 09:49:51 AM »
So less like The Searchers and more like Tombstone? I prefer Tombstone anyways. Unforgiven was awesome, too.

Exactly.

natsfan1a

« Reply #135: January 11, 2008, 10:03:20 AM »
On the Samurai-Western connection, see this list of Westerns (particularly Spaghetti Westerns) inspired by Kurosawa films.

http://www.greencine.com/list?action=viewList&listID=5864

I am also a Martial Arts/Kung-Fu movie buff and I swear it has hints of that classic Samurai movie-like feel to it.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #136: January 11, 2008, 10:10:08 AM »
Here are a few more on my to-see list. I still have a few of those classics I mentioned a few weeks ago left to see.

Dan in Real Life - newer one I heard is really funny
The King of Comedy - wanted to see this for a while
The Number 23 - Jim Carrey's awesome
Terms of Endearment - recently recommended to me
Simon Birch - a lot of movies I like are compared to this one
Lord of War - the trailer for this one wasn't very enticing, but I'm a huge Cage fan and Ive heard good things

« Reply #137: January 11, 2008, 10:34:53 AM »
On the Samurai-Western connection, see this list of Westerns (particularly Spaghetti Westerns) inspired by Kurosawa films.

http://www.greencine.com/list?action=viewList&listID=5864

God, I love the Seven Samurai.  What a terrific movie.  It can't even be called a movie.  It can only be called "art."

natsfan1a

« Reply #138: January 11, 2008, 11:15:32 AM »
It was great! I'm a big fan of Kurosawa generally.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #139: January 11, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
God, I love the Seven Samurai.  What a terrific movie.  It can't even be called a movie.  It can only be called "art."

Sometimes he bases his movies on Shakespeare.  So that makes sense!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #140: January 11, 2008, 03:36:58 PM »
Here are a few more on my to-see list. I still have a few of those classics I mentioned a few weeks ago left to see.

Dan in Real Life - newer one I heard is really funny
The King of Comedy - wanted to see this for a while
The Number 23 - Jim Carrey's awesome
Terms of Endearment - recently recommended to me
Simon Birch - a lot of movies I like are compared to this one
Lord of War - the trailer for this one wasn't very enticing, but I'm a huge Cage fan and Ive heard good things
Simon Birch is pretty good.  I have been meaning to see The Number 23 as well.  I just saw the movie, 25th Hour starring Ed Norton.  Pretty interesting movie about a guy's final day on the outside before going to jail for 7 years. 

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #141: January 11, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
I just saw the movie, 25th Hour starring Ed Norton.  Pretty interesting movie about a guy's final day on the outside before going to jail for 7 years. 

Very cool movie. Awesome plot, acting, and directing. Spike Lee did a great job at making the viewer almost feel bad for the bad guy.

natsfan1a

« Reply #142: January 12, 2008, 06:14:55 PM »
I watched Waitress today. The acting was fine, but the plot struck me as rather contrived. I tend like movies about food and cooking (Like Water for Chocolate, for example), but while I liked that aspect of it, I found the whole affair with the gynecologist thing icky.

We just returned Mulholland Drive to Netflix. We'd seen it on network tv recently but they butchered it so badly that we wanted to see the original. My husband and I both liked it. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Next in the queue is Waitress.

natsfan1a

« Reply #143: January 12, 2008, 06:17:44 PM »
BTW, for Clousseau fans, A Shot in the Dark with Peter Sellers is on at 9 p.m. tonite.

arkymark

« Reply #144: January 12, 2008, 06:18:43 PM »
I watched Waitress today. The acting was fine, but the plot struck me as rather contrived. I tend like movies about food and cooking (Like Water for Chocolate, for example), but while I liked that aspect of it, I found the whole affair with the gynecologist thing icky.

So, Babette's Feast; Eat Drink Man Woman?  Ny wife and I used to have a list of those great cooking as a metaphor for something or the other movies, but those are the only two I can readily call to mind now.

natsfan1a

« Reply #145: January 12, 2008, 06:34:48 PM »
Same here. I couldn't find the list I had, but among those we've watched are Babette's Feast, Chocolat, Eat Drink Man Woman, Garam Masala, Like Water for Chocolate, Tampopo, and The Wedding Banquet.

So, Babette's Feast; Eat Drink Man Woman?  Ny wife and I used to have a list of those great cooking as a metaphor for something or the other movies, but those are the only two I can readily call to mind now.

arkymark

« Reply #146: January 12, 2008, 06:36:32 PM »
Yep, yep, yep.

natsfan1a

« Reply #147: January 12, 2008, 06:37:01 PM »
Like Water for Chocolate was probably my favorite of those.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #148: January 14, 2008, 10:12:18 AM »
Saw the "Bucket List" on Friday night. I'd rate it "three hankies." Yes, it was fluff, but entertaining fluff. :) We also tried Me Jana, a new-ish Lebanese restaurant near Courthouse Metro. Food was great, but we regretted not making a reservation as the place was very crowded. The only table available was too tiny for all of our small plates, so we were racing through the courses just to make room.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #149: January 14, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »
I saw Shoot 'Em Up last night. You seriously HAVE to be into fun and stupid action flicks (like I am) to enjoy this one. It's got ridiculous one-liners and there's a really weak plot, but the action and camera work make it all worth it, IMO. It's actually pretty funny, too. I could see a lot of people not liking this one for all the wrong reasons. :D