Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 161702 times)

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2800: August 22, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »
http://wtop.com/1228/3428592/Bluejacket-brewery-plans-Oct-debut
This is great news.  If the team plays like it as this year at least we have a nice place to drink

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2801: August 22, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »
The Southern Tier Pumpking I had last night was awesome.  Tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2802: August 22, 2013, 05:05:34 PM »
Has it come out already for this year or is it from last year ?

We really liked the Southern Tier Pumpking last year.

The Southern Tier Pumpking I had last night was awesome.  Tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2803: August 23, 2013, 12:12:35 PM »
are there any that anyone likes?  I haven't been a big fan of the few i've tried.

I bought hofbrau oktoberfest this week, pours like a lighter heineken. 

dog fish head  punkin.  that is probably the only dfh  beer I buy.  people rave about southern tier pumking.  maybe I got a bad one but I thought it tasted  like  banana  runts.  I'll have to try  again.  the dfh  one is not very sweet. a lot  of spices in it like nutmeg. schlafly  also makes a good one

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2804: August 23, 2013, 12:41:54 PM »
Nothing like a nice frothy plastic jar of sorghum beer in an African shabeen.  kind of like drinking thin grits except after about 5 of them you go reeling off into the dark to blast ass and realise that the stars are spinning.   

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2805: August 23, 2013, 03:05:44 PM »
dog fish head  punkin.  that is probably the only dfh  beer I buy.  people rave about southern tier pumking.  maybe I got a bad one but I thought it tasted  like  banana  runts.  I'll have to try  again.  the dfh  one is not very sweet. a lot  of spices in it like nutmeg. schlafly  also makes a good one
Banana is my favorite Runt.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2806: August 23, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »
Has it come out already for this year or is it from last year ?

We really liked the Southern Tier Pumpking last year.

I'm pretty sure it was from this year.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2807: September 06, 2013, 08:33:10 PM »
Abita Pecan Ale

http://abita.com/brews/our_brews/pecan

is really good (much darker than the picture on their site though)

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2808: September 06, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »
Where have you purchased it ?

Abita Pecan Ale

http://abita.com/brews/our_brews/pecan

is really good (much darker than the picture on their site though)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2809: September 06, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »
I really like a number of pale ales/IPAs that come in cans...Dale's is probably my go-to canned beer.  That said, I had District Brau at the Black Cat the other night, and it did not suck.  I think it goes for $5/can, which is pretty good for a night club.

Dale's has been our go-to lately when finishing up stiff hikes in the Shenandoahs.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2810: September 06, 2013, 08:40:28 PM »
Where have you purchased it ?

safeway in Belle View, Alexandria, Abita seems to be getting pretty wide distribution lately

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2811: September 06, 2013, 08:42:31 PM »
DALE'S !!!  There are so many better pales or IPAs !!!

Dale's has been our go-to lately when finishing up stiff hikes in the Shenandoahs.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2812: September 06, 2013, 08:44:51 PM »
DALE'S !!!  There are so many better pales or IPAs !!!

In a can?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2813: September 06, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
The Dogfish 60 Minute comes in a can

In a can?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2814: September 06, 2013, 08:49:14 PM »
The Dogfish 60 Minute comes in a can

Never seen it, but I haven't really done a ton of shopping either.

Dale's is easy drinking and nice alcohol content.  We usually just slam 1 in the car immediately upon coming off the trail, and want it cold, modestly high alcohol and smooth.  And in a can for discretion.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2815: September 06, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
I'm sorry I'm not close by anymore, for I'd like to save you some.  But next time you're in OBX ...

Never seen it, but I haven't really done a ton of shopping either.

Dale's is easy drinking and nice alcohol content.  We usually just slam 1 in the car immediately upon coming off the trail, and want it cold, modestly high alcohol and smooth.  And in a can for discretion.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2816: September 06, 2013, 09:37:13 PM »
 dales is usually cheaper than dc dbrau by two  or three bucks a six pack.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #2817: September 06, 2013, 09:39:25 PM »
I'm drinking Lancaster Brewing Hop Hog IPA. First had it on tap in Cumberland back in July when we stopped for lunch on our way to Bedford Springs for our anniversary and I liked it. Found some bottles at the Giant in Kingstowne when I walked over there earlier today. Decent stuff, obviously not as old as on tap but I still enjoy it. Not as hoppy as some of the beers I particularly like, but then again it's nice once in a while to have a milder flavor. It was 50¢ cheaper than Longhammer IPA for a six-pack.

The hard part for me is not polishing off the last of the Irish whiskey and bourbon in the cabinet from when we had my parents over for dinner last month. I enjoy a good malt whisky but I seldom buy them anymore due to price and due to my drinking them too quickly, so about the only time I buy liquor is if we have my parents over. I really have no desire to have a nasty hangover, especially when I need to caulk the master bathroom shower in the morning, so I keep reminding myself of that as an incentive not to pull out the liquor bottles.....

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2818: September 07, 2013, 10:01:05 AM »
Okay, recommend your pumpkin beverages! Ace Pumpkin Cider's already on the shopping list. I saw New Belgium ("Fat Tire" etc.) has a pumpkin beer now "with a hint of cranberries", didn't buy it because that sounded kind of weird. I think Pumking should be available round these parts...

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #2819: September 07, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »
I'm drinking Lancaster Brewing Hop Hog IPA. First had it on tap in Cumberland back in July when we stopped for lunch on our way to Bedford Springs for our anniversary and I liked it. Found some bottles at the Giant in Kingstowne when I walked over there earlier today. Decent stuff, obviously not as old as on tap but I still enjoy it. Not as hoppy as some of the beers I particularly like, but then again it's nice once in a while to have a milder flavor. It was 50¢ cheaper than Longhammer IPA for a six-pack.

The hard part for me is not polishing off the last of the Irish whiskey and bourbon in the cabinet from when we had my parents over for dinner last month. I enjoy a good malt whisky but I seldom buy them anymore due to price and due to my drinking them too quickly, so about the only time I buy liquor is if we have my parents over. I really have no desire to have a nasty hangover, especially when I need to caulk the master bathroom shower in the morning, so I keep reminding myself of that as an incentive not to pull out the liquor bottles.....

Where at in Cumberland?

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #2820: September 07, 2013, 12:10:13 PM »
Where at in Cumberland?

I believe, but am not completely certain, the place was called City Lights. It's on the pedestrian mall. It was a beautiful cool Friday in late July (July 26....that I recall because unlike most men, I know when my anniversary is!) and we walked around until we saw a place in the shade that looked decent. I'd have to pull up my American Express statement to be certain of the name.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2821: September 07, 2013, 05:50:12 PM »
safeway in Belle View, Alexandria, Abita seems to be getting pretty wide distribution lately
Howdy Neighbor.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2822: September 23, 2013, 07:19:31 PM »
Has anyone tried the new Southern Tier Pumpking Ale ?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2823: September 23, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
Has anyone tried the new Southern Tier Pumpking Ale ?

Tastes like pumpkin pie (strong nutmeg,  cinnamon, all spice pumpkin pie mixture)

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #2824: September 24, 2013, 11:30:18 AM »
As mentioned before, I'm a Dogfish FanBoi... but their Punkin' Ale is good.

As for the DFH 60 in a can, Never seen it but would like to try it.